Mary Poppins Returns

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Mary Poppins Returns

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Looks like fun! I'm a big fan of the original Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews, so I like that this doesn't seem to be a remake but something new. I'm intrigued. I hope they do the character justice!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 14 Mar 2018 05:14 pm --

I've been really jaded about this ever since I first heard it was in development. I'm just like "Why?" Just why is this a thing? Who was clamoring for a sequel to that over 50 years later? It comes off to me as an absolute bottom of the barrel desperation idea. "Let's force a continuation of literally any property we have!"

That's just my personal take. I could be wrong and the reason they're doing it is they have an amazing idea for a followup story that makes it worth it to revive the character, I hope that turns out to be the case, but I'm not betting on it. Would love to be pleasantly surprised though.

-- 28 Nov 2018 09:55 am --

Full trailer is out, and now that I see what they're going for with this it may have some merit after all.

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Practically perfect in every way!

I love the original so much that the thought of a new film made me wary, but this trailer looks wonderful. I was already emotionally involved from the reference to losing their mother, and the animation style looks just like the way they did it in the original! I have high hopes from this trailer. :yes:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm actually not a fan of Mary Poppins; I only saw it once and just really wasn't into it for whatever reason. So this doesn't appeal to me, but only because I don't have a connection to the original. I can tell though that it looks great for what it is, and for those big fans I know are out there I do think this is going to be good and something they will like rather than find sacrilegious or disappointing as I at first worried may be the case.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

:shock: Not a fan of Mary Poppins?! Bookworm! I am shocked and appalled. Please give it another try eventually and see if you change your mind. I know you like at least some musicals, so I think if you gave it another chance you might like it!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I think there's a possibility of that too, so I do want to give it one more chance at some point. Probably pretty soon, in case I get asked to go to this by someone. Then I'll know for sure whether I'm interested.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have plans to go next Saturday with a few other friends who are also really excited to see this movie! Has anyone seen it yet? I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My mom really wants to go to this, so I will in fact be seeing it sometime in the next couple weeks. We're making it a multipart event; we rewatched the original movie together first, then we'll see this new one, and we're also going to watch Saving Mr. Banks which I've seen but she never has.

My thoughts on the rewatch and other movie can be found here and here respectively.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I went to see "Mary Poppins Returns" with a couple of friends today, and we all really liked it! :D We're all big "Mary Poppins" fans and were hoping that it would be good, and thought that it worked. There's a very sweet story, catchy songs, and feels like a good fit as a movie with such an iconic character. I definitely recommend it!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good to hear positive reactions. For as much excited build up as I sensed around this movie beforehand I haven't actually seen any reactions circulating once it got here so I wasn't sure how it ended up being received.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't think anything can be as great as the original, so I purposely made an effort not to constantly think, "Well, Julie Andrews is better," because that isn't constructive criticism. ;) I don't think it will live on as a classic to the same extent the original has, but that's a pretty high calling! It works as a fun movie, one I was happy to watch, with catchy songs and a lovely story that my two friends and I agreed was more moving that we had anticipated. I call that a success!
GMarchiani
Not as new

Post by GMarchiani »

Just saw it a few nights ago with a friend. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was really well done!! :D =D>
"Relationships are a series of steps, and you can only take the step that is in front of you."-Eugene Meltsner