AMC Stubs A-List

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
AMC Stubs A-List

Post by Jehoshaphat »

Have you guys heard of AMC's new subscription service? I read up on it and it sounded like a really good deal. It's $19.95/month, and you can see three movies a week. Those movies can be any type, regular, 3D, IMAX, etc. It is honestly a really good deal if you go to the movies more than twice a month. Plus you get other benefits along with it, all the benefits that come with a Stubs membership apply to the A-List as well. I am currently considering doing it. I like going to the movies and I would definitely go to the movies more often, if it was less expensive. I would go see movies I wouldn't normally consider seeing as well as seeing movies multiple times.

What do other people think? Are you going to consider it? Will it beat MoviePass? Any other comments, concerns, complaints, or criticisms?

P.S. I am back, kind of. I have been lurking for awhile and I am still really busy so I won't post that often. Good to see everyone!

Also, I realize that this is in the wrong place. Someone please move it. :P
Last edited by Jehoshaphat on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Consider the thread moved. :D

I don't think this is an option in Canada. My brother does something kind of like this, but it's definitely not as good of a deal as this. If you see a lot of movies, this sounds amazing!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

AMC is not my theater of choice (it's further away from me than other options) so I won't be doing this personally, but it's definitely a good deal if you go to at least two movies a month.

As for how it compares to Movie Pass I don't know. I was very tempted to sign up for that since it can be used almost anywhere, but never did because I wasn't certain I would be using it enough to cover the cost for an extended period. A few months last year it would have been a great deal, but in between those I didn't go see anything. If you could just get in for certain months you know you'll be going I would have definitely done it and then dropped when I thought I would stop going for a while, but becoming intelligible to sign up again for six months after you cancel is what made me decide to pass since I wouldn't be able to get back in if I found myself seeing several movies again later.

What's the timeframe deal with this? Do you need you commit for a certain number of months or can you drop in and out?
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

According to the AMC website, you have an initial 3 month commitment and then can cancel anytime after that. So if you are going to go to at least 6 movies in a three month span it is worth it.

There are a few benefits that this service has that beats movie pass. First, you can see the same movie multiple times. You could see the same movie three times in the same day if you so desired. Also, another big thing is you can see any type of movie. So, Imax, 3D, etc. That alone would be great. The cost of a 3D movie at my local AMC on a weeknight is 13.79, and for weekends it is even more. IMAX is around $17. So just one of those is already worth it.

The AMC is only 5 minutes from where I live so it would be a good deal for me. Also, my AMC is really nice, all leather seats, good concession($$$), generally clean and efficient. I just don't know if I want to spend the money.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jehoshaphat wrote:According to the AMC website, you have an initial 3 month commitment and then can cancel anytime after that.
There isn't a freeze out period after cancelling before you can sign up again? Though if you have to commit for three months again each time then it's essentially the same situation, just frontloaded with the catch instead of applying it after. Movie Pass prevents dropping in and out by saying you can cancel any time, but once you do you can't get back in for a long time. This is doing it by making you prepay, so there's no benefit to dropping out really.

Comparing specific benefits to Movie Pass, yeah this is way better. I was only talking about the payment and contract structure before. Now that Movie Pass has changed how and when you can use it this plan is much more attractive, allowing multiple uses on the same day and multiple uses on the same movie.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I definitely don't have a local AMC (we've only ever had Regal as far as chains go, and alas now ALL we have is one Regal, the other Regal and local theater died :boohoo: ), and there aren't any close enough to where it would really be worthwhile that I'd want to go to movies an hour or farther away that often. MoviePass is flakey but it works for me for the time being. Hypothetically if Regal rolled out the same deal as AMC I'd look into it, but at twice the cost, I doubt I'd go for it as long as MoviePass is limping along--I don't really care about 3D and we don't have an imax screen or anything, so that's no real advantage.

Actually the biggest thing I want from a movie subscription service is a babysitter so I can actually go to a movie more than once a month if I'm lucky. \:D/ MTV should do a reality show about the hardships of 30-somethings with babies. :(
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I would like to comment on how this panned out. I ended getting the subscription service back in July 2018. I initially had some trouble getting used to the system but once I did it became incredibly easy to use.

I have really liked having this. It provides me a lot of opportunities to go see movies I wouldn't see otherwise. There are a lot of movies that come out that I wouldn't see if I had to pay for an individual ticket but because it is already included, it incentivizes me to go see more movies. I have also discovered that I really enjoy going to movie theater. I even love going by myself. I get to enjoy the movie by myself and I don't have to find someone to go with. There are many movies that I can't find anyone to go with, so I just go alone. It is a freeing experience.

The second main thing about this is that premium showings don't cost extra to see. I can see 3D, Imax, Dobly Cinema(which I LOVE), without having to pay a ton of money. \:D/ This definitely makes the subscription worth having. Also, free size upgrades on pop and popcorn, special lines, can't complain at all. I got to see Endgame twice and Captain Marvel this month, along with buying a large popcorn and drink, and I only paid $20 for the entire thing. =P~ Totally worth it.

Unfortunately, real life has set in and because I am in college I can't afford this wonderful subscription anymore. :boohoo: Maybe when I have a job I will pick this up again.

8/10
My online family
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, three movies and snacks for $20? I can see how it was worth it financially! College is expensive - you will have money again in the future, just not for a while. ;)