Aquaman

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Aquaman

Post by bookworm »

I don't usually start threads until a trailer is out, but I wanted to post this poster.

Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

I'm interested in watching it.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I am too, actually. I'm not excitedly looking forward to it, but I'm willing to check it out. I liked him in Justice League.
Monty_Whittaker

I did like him as well, although Flash and Wonder Woman were better.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Monty_Whittaker

Looks good!
Resident JRPG nut
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It looks better than I thought it might. I dunno, Shazam looks fun and I would kind of like to see it but I'm kind of burnt out on DC otherwise. Since MoviePass seems near death I dunno if I'll bother seeing this or not in theaters. I hope he says, "MY MAN!!!" a lot, though... best part of Justice League.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Here's a really extended preview:

Monty_Whittaker

I'm excited to see it!
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have to say, by the time it got around to release I was actually genuinely looking forward to checking this out! I don't know what really brought me around but I was eager to get to the theater. And I really, really liked this movie! Decent story, really neat visuals, well done humor, and a lot of fun. Easily their second best movie after Wonder Woman.

Dare I say there may actually be hope for the DCU yet? Got off to a very shaky start, but Wonder Woman was obviously a huge success, Justice League had issues but wasn't terrible, and this one is shaping up to have a pretty good, possibly great response. They might have managed to turn a corner. Even though Justice League came out between the other two I don't view it that way for doing analysis, things about that movie were too set in place to salvage it more than they did so some regression from the greatness of Wonder Woman was absolutely expected, and occurred, but because of that I actually consider Wonder Woman and this movie to be consecutive, with Justice League before them. That's what makes sense for tracking the trajectory of the franchise, and if you do that they are actually on a roll right now!

I just thought this movie was an overall fun time and very entertaining, but a few specific things that come to mind to note:

This movie is an interesting mix of origin story and new adventure that picks up after Justice League. I liked it, good way to give the necessary backstory while also moving the character forward.

How they would do the underwater scenes was one of the biggest questions around the movie all through production and I really liked the end result. The way they moved around, and the flowing hair and capes was very neat. And completely off topic of this movie but something that passed my mind while watching: seeing those effects well done like this makes me actually kind of interested in seeing the inevitable live action Little Mermaid remake if they do the same kind of thing.

I thought how they transitioned back and forth between Aquaman and Mara during the fight scene was innovative and pretty neat. It made the scene much more engaging than just a standard series of jump cuts would have made it.

The huge battle scene in this movie is genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The scope, the visuals, everything about it was amazing. If you are considering seeing this movie in the theater definitely do it, you will want to see this sequence on the big screen!

There was one minor thing I wasn't super keen on; it's not really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway just for abundance of caution, just because of how it's used in the movie some people may not want to know about it ahead of time.
There were three separate instances where a scene was interrupted by a sudden explosion. Not just two, three. It was a poor storyboarding decision. Multiple people actually laughed out loud when the third one happened, because it had become comical at that point. The second one was pushing it, but now it was the exact same thing happening over and over. It really took you out of the moment. If they needed to keep interrupting things they really should have changed up what was doing the interruption. There was no need to have it be the same each time. The third one for example could have been simply changed to be one of the soldiers breaking through something, or throwing something, anything other than yet another explosion, they should have realized that would be super distracting when it happened after we already saw that trick twice before.
I also thought it was weird how they tried to make the bad guys sympathetic at the beginning, with the father son stuff and then the music they used. It struck me as really odd because it wasn't one of those situations where you can make the villain understandable and be like he's wrong but I get where he's coming from, no these guys are really bad guys, there's no way around it. We just saw them kill a ton of innocent people, then you immediately go really hard into a feel sorry for them push? That sequence could have been reworked a bit to better effect I think. The point of it was to highlight the parental connection so we understand the motivations going forward in the movie, but we could have gotten that fine from simply being aware that they were father and son, we didn't need to be heavy-handedly forced into trying to feel sympathy for a completely unsympathetic character.

Those are small issues in the grand scheme of the movie as a whole though, and definitely don't detract enough from it that I had a negative impression. I feel really rewarded for having faith this movie could be a good time, it absolutely was!