Star Wars Episode IX

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Star Wars Episode IX

Post by bookworm »

This is way earlier than I would usually start a movie thread, but production news is starting to come out and for this movie in particular the production is interesting and worth talking about.

It's been officially confirmed that Leia will in fact be in this movie. They are somehow using extra footage from Force Awakens to give her a role here. This is intriguing for multiple reasons. First, because they had previously said flat out that they weren't going to have her in this one, so this is an odd complete reversal. But it also raises questions of how scenes shot for the first movie could be used in the third one when the story has drastically evolved since then (in ways the studio wasn't even expecting, depending on who you hear things from), so how could much of it fit in anymore? They had originally said Leia would have a prominent role in this last movie, but they can't retroactively piece together something that involved from old footage not meant for it, so I'm sure whatever she was planned to do story wise was handed off to Luke and other characters, they're just trying to find a way to give her a proper send off here since it was too late to work it into the previous movie.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw that news too! I was also very curious about how they're going to make it work. I assume that it will be a very small role, since like you said, using old footage only takes you so far years later with major plot stuff going on.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The other big news is that Lando will be in this one. I wasn't expecting to hear that, but I guess it's not surprising since they brought back all the rest of the old gang.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

That is awesome, but it stinks that we have to wait more than a year and a half between Solo and Episode IX.
Resident JRPG nut
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay Lando! I don't remember if I saw that already. Maybe. That will be fun!

I agree with Monty that the wait seems super long. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Teaser out and title announced: The Rise of Skywalker

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just saw this and was very intrigued by the title! The trailer itself is interesting, but I honestly find the title the most mysterious. It really makes me wonder what is going on! :mad:
Monty_Whittaker

I am still confused as too how they will bring back Palpatine
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

He came back in the Expanded Universe. It could just be a trailer fake out too. Or just a dream or flashback.
Monty_Whittaker

Nope, the character is coming back, it has been confirmed. Probably will just do what happened in Dark Empire and have him be a clone body.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Last Jedi dampened my enthusiasm but I still want to see it. \:D/

Palpy was always my fave villain.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not a Palpatine fangirl or anything, but overall episode 9 looks pretty epic. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm definitely curious to see how they're going to wrap everything up. I haven't yet settled on where I stand with the new trilogy.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I see a lot of hate for VII but I really enjoyed it. Probably didn't have to be quite so similar to IV but... I dunno, I was okay with that. As stated didn't much care for a lot they did with Last Jedi but IX could definitely redeem the trilogy as a whole for me.

We know they are going to make more Star Wars movies but supposedly this'll tie up the whole main story, so definitely has an epic feel to it.