Pride and Prejudice

Anyone else seen it, or am I the only Jane Austen fan?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Pride and Prejudice

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I took my grandmother to see Pride and Prejudice today. I liked it, although I must confess that reading only half the book makes the last half a bit confusing to watch.

Any thoughts on this movie? I may post more later, when I'm not in any kind of a rush.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

I so want to see it! But I must wait until it comes out on DVD. :(
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Lol, the end part (the 'Mrs. Darcy' scene) was so romantic... I was sitting there thinking, "Oh my gosh... that should be Regis and Rachael. I should have come up with that."

Actually, a lot of the movie was like that for me. The only thing is that Rachael isn't nearly as strong-willed as Elizabeth. And Regis wasn't really rude to her the first time he met her.
Tinuviel
Found
Location: Here or there- but isn't here just there without the t??

Post by Tinuviel »

I haven't seen it- but a lot of my friends want me to come with them. Is it good???
Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ twill last;
And when I am dying how happy I'll be, if the lamp of my life has been burnt out for Thee!
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I might see it :anxious: wait I'm the only boy who has posted here :mad:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I keep getting it confused with Cassanova.... :anxious:
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Ahhh *dies* I want to see P&P. It looks so good, and it got a great review from plugged in (quite rare for them... it even ended on a good note! \:D/).

But yeah... I'll probably just wait until it comes out on DVD, because all of my friends are mean, and won't go to see it with me. :p

I can't wait, though!
Sarah
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Me wrote:I keep getting it confused with Cassanova.... :anxious:
P&P will be much cleaner! :D
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Yuck! Don't compare Darcy to Regis! You'll ruin the entire thing for me!

----------

Pride and Prejudice was an AWESOME book and I loved loved loved the movie. It is so incredible that Jane Austin portrayed women who were strong and intelligent but still feminine and lovely.

I think Keira Knightly was PERFECT in the role. I even liked the guy who played Darcy better than Colin Firth!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

From the rants my sister goes on everytime the movie is mentioned I'm not planning on seeing it until it comes out on DVD. Apparently the only good thing about the movie is Judi Dench as Lady Catherine (and even then the director found the need to change the nature of one of the greatest cat fights in literary history). From what I've seen in the clips on the internet I'm not too impressed either. Then again I've seen the BBC version that was done 10 years ago with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and that was soooooo good. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite stories and I hate to see it butcherd in this fashion.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Ewww. Ewww. Ewww. Anything with the name "Keira Knightly" involved is repulsive to me. Beyond that, nothing can compare with the Pride and Prejudice movie. You just can't pack 5 hours into anything smaller.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I really want to see it. I read the book a few years ago, and i heard the movie is great!
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Mandy Straussberg wrote:Ewww. Ewww. Ewww. Anything with the name "Keira Knightly" involved is repulsive to me.
I'm not the only one! Wow!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Ugh. The BBC version is long alright. And I'll admit that the new P & P is shorter and therefore can't have ever iota of the book or the miniseries in it, I'm ok with that though. I would have prefered more about Wickham, but I was fine with it overall.

Keira Knightly did a great job in this movie. I like her as an actress, I like her best in Bend it Like Beckham though.

The man who played Mr. Colins was excellent and the woman who played JANE was 20 million times better than the BBC version. The man and woman who played the Bingleys were excellent as well. Just a great group of actors and the way the camera was used in things like the dancing scenes, the music, it all makes this movie superior to the old version.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw it with my best friend and we both really liked it! \:D/ I really love the longer version as well (and Colin Firth is a great Mr. Darcy :inlove:) but this shorter version was also very enjoyable! Of course there were some scenes that I wish were longer or more detailed, but for the amount of time they had, I thought it was well done.

I read the book a few years ago and therefore can't really compare very well, but I definitely want to buy this movie when it comes out on DVD! :D *hopes for some extended/deleted scenes*
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I want to see the new P&P soo bad! :mad:
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I heard it got good reviews and is fairly clean. I know there is one member here who cannot see it because there's no theater near her that's playing it. :(
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I saw it not too long ago and LOVED it! I thought it was better than the 6 hour version!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

A note of caution: If you are a male or just not interested in the book in the least, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. You will be bored out of your mind. There were a couple of parts (when she's just sitting on the swing for however many months) where the only thing that kept me from daydreaming was the fantastic visual stuff. Movies like that make me want to visit England sooo badly...

I like Keira Knightly, but I somehow always pictured Elizabeth as looking different than she did in this movie. Mr. Darcy was EXCELLENT; I watched the older version (well, parts of it) after we got home from the theatre, and still liked Darcy and Elizabeth way better in the newer movie. Ms. Bingley was very good, but Mr. Bingley seemed kind of retarded to me. Plus, I don't remember the book mentioning anywhere that either of them had red hair.

I'm not comparing Mr. Darcy to Regis, but rather that scene to my story.

My grandmother is a die hard fan of the five-hour movie, so she was a little bummed about this one, but she said there were some parts in this one she liked better than the old one. Not many, but they did exist :-)

I thought the scene in which Mr. Darcy is writing his letter to Georgeana (sp? It's been a while since I read the book) was very well done, and I liked the ballroom scenes-- both of them.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

*wails*

*collapses*

*reads no further*

I want to see it!!!:mecry: I devour the 6 hr. version at least twice a year and I really, really want to see the latest P&P........BUT the nearest theater showing it is an hour and a half away. And that's a long drive...for one movie...*sniffle* I guess I'll just have to wait. *martyr look* :boohoo: