Has anyone watched "Shadowlands"

A film on CS Lewis' life...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Have you seen "Shadowlands"

Yes
50%
No
40%
Never heard of it
10%

Total votes: 10

Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Has anyone watched "Shadowlands"

Post by Oba-rai »

I watched it tonight, I'm still wondering about how they stripped the faith from his life... :(

It's really cool, but they took all the faith from CS Lewis' life, and took only what seemed applicable in todays secular society... has anyone seen it? I think it was out a few years ago, and a lot of people went to see it in theators.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Yes, I have seen that movie. It was very well done, and gave you some insight into C.S. Lewis' life. The music was very nice too! :D
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw it about a year ago and found it very interesting! \:D/ Since I was not familair with most of the details of C.S. Lewis's life, I couldn't vouch for it's accuracy or the lack thereof, but I really enjoyed watching it and getting a broader perspective of Lewis - beyond CoN. ;) The story was rather moving as well!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I think I vaugly remember hearing about this but I'm certain I never saw it...

It's ironic really because just the other day I was thinking about how it cool it would be if they did a movie about his life.

How much of it surrounded his writing Narnia? They didn't talk about his Christian books at all? :-s How do they think he became famous?
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

It's interesting that you should mention it now, because I just ordered the DVD for my mom last night! :shock: I'll let you know what I think after I watch it.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I haven't seen it. :boohoo:

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
map
Found

Post by map »

I saw it in the theaters a few years ago and have it on dvd. I really enjoyed it. My favorite line from that movie says something like this: "The pain of the past is part of the happiness today." That is so true.

I just saw Narnia in the theaters last night. Very good movie
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have not seen it.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I loved the representation of CS Lewis. He is my favorite author :inlove: because 1) He was a Christian 2) He wrote VERY inspiring and thoughtprovoking pieces and 3) Experience showed him that no matter what happened, God was still with him.

The movie didn't do justice to his faith, though. It was very sad how at the end, CS sat down with Douglas, and they cried. But it seemed as though they stripped his faith from him. They took the pithy statements about grief, because you really can't deal with life without dealing with grief. But I think the movie would be a lot better if they actually mentioned that CS stayed a real believer despite the pain and death.

My dad had been talking to a friend, and they started talking about Shadowlands. The friend said "I liked that movie. It was about death."

:-s
they may be copper,
they might be giants.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I've never seen the movie, but our fall drama this year was Shadowlands, so I know it inside and out. And I agree, it didn't really show C.S. lewis to have much faith but what you have tor ealize is that the whole play was made up around a few simple facts, Joy Gresham was divorced and C.S. Lewis married her, and he did adopt Douglas. The writer(s) may have taken other parts from thigns he said, but most of it was just educated guesses. :(
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I haven't seen it. :boohoo:

-Cowboy
Ditto. I haven't even heard of it!

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Barely Is wrote:I've never seen the movie, but our fall drama this year was Shadowlands, so I know it inside and out. And I agree, it didn't really show C.S. lewis to have much faith but what you have tor ealize is that the whole play was made up around a few simple facts, Joy Gresham was divorced and C.S. Lewis married her, and he did adopt Douglas. The writer(s) may have taken other parts from thigns he said, but most of it was just educated guesses. :(
In C.S. Lewis' books, including the notes of the places at which he had spoken, you were able to grasp the kind of trust he had in God. Yet, as he said, "Experience is the greatest teacher", and even he hadn't experienced grief beyond the fact that his mother died when he was 9. In his notes, and in everything he wrote, he always spoke of pain as God's megaphone. Yet, it must have been so hard, because this woman he had come to love was being taken from him.

Yet, despite all that, and contrary to how the movie portrayed him, he held fast to his faith in God. They didn't do Douglas Gresham justice, either. The statement he makes that he 'doesn't believe in heaven', and Lewis' pithy answer 'that's alright' doesn't do justice to the fact that CS Lewis had a relationship with God that passed our own knowledge. It was a personal, intimate relationship that not even death could break. The movie didn't show that.
they may be copper,
they might be giants.