End of the Spear

must see movie!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

End of the Spear

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

I just saw a movie called End of the Spear. It is about Elizabeth Elliot and her family, and fellow missionaries in the rainforest. It was a great movie. I encourage everyone to go see it. :)
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

Oh man... I'm dying to see it. I'm trying to convince my parents to take me so I don't have to pay for it... that iPod looms only $45 dollars away...

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

My parents just saw it tonight too...they said it was pretty intense, and a good movie. They also reccomend the documentary "Beyond the Gates of Splendor". \:D/ *yay for parent ToO interaction!*
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Beyond the Gates of Splendor was really good. I'm going to see End of the Spear tommorow after church.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I have seen "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" and "End of the Spear." It is such an amazing story, and family. So good! Everybody should see it!
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Are movie theatre is pretty stupid sometimes. This is one of those times. We got The Family Stone to replace Rumor Has It instead of EOTS. Otherwise I'd go see it. We might get it late though, we've gotten alot of movies late before (including The Family Stone). But hey, we still have CON and it's in it's fifth week! Pretty rare.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
kellyj
Fourscore and seven

Post by kellyj »

I want to see it so bad. But in all 8 theatres in my city none of them are playing End of the Spear. But hopefully they will play it soon.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Are they hoping to open up to more theatres?

BC
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

The BC wrote:Are they hoping to open up to more theatres?

BC
I have heard that if it goes well in the select theatres it is in, then they would rerelease it to more theatres. It could just be a rumor that got to me, but it sounds reasonable.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

haha, oops, i didn't see this thread!

anyway, I saw the movie last night, and it was amazing. I was deffinitely crying in the theatre ;) I can't wait untill it comes out on DVD!
map
Found

Post by map »

I have heard great things about it. We didn't think it was coming to our town, but I read in the paper that it has come, so we're going to go see it. We feel we need to support Christian movies in anyway we can, so more good solid movies will be made
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I kinda liked Beyond the Gates of Splendor better.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We have "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" - I thought it was pretty good. It seems like there could have been more mention of Jesus, though. I don't think they ever really said exactly why the Waodani changed. Of course, we already know the story, but it still would be good to hear that Jesus is the one who changes hearts and lives. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

The youth group I go to might go see End of the Spear this weekend.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I saw this movie about 10 days ago and I was actually really disappointed. :( The only really good actors were the natives. :( The missionaries well at least the men who played the missionaries didn't seem into the message. There was a line that the actor who played Nate Saint and when he said something to the affect of (when his son asked him if they got into a situation where they would die would they shoot the natives) he said "It's okay if we die because we will go to heaven, but if the natives die they will go to hell." This was a good line but when he said it, it sounded like he didn't believe it. :( And that was pretty much how the Christian message was in the whole movie. It didn't seem like they didn't bring it out much like they should have. But the documentary that they did on this same story "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" is a movie that I would recommend to well older children and above.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Yeah, the natives were really good actors, but everyone else, well...
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I haven't seen it yet, but my Dad saw it back in the fall and he said it was a great movie. I have found it intersting that while most secular reviews complains that the movie is too overt and boarders on proselytizing it's the exact opposite with a lot of the Christian reviews.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

dawningoftime wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but my Dad saw it back in the fall and he said it was a great movie. I have found it intersting that while most secular reviews complains that the movie is too overt and boarders on proselytizing it's the exact opposite with a lot of the Christian reviews.
I think that you're talking about "Beyond the Gates of Splendor." Right?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I just saw the movie. It was intense, but good.
The Christian message, though not explicitly outlined, was portrayed pretty well in my opinion. Considering Hollywood's lack in that area, I am pleased to see something that puts a realistic light on Christians. The movie shows the meaning of love and forgiveness. My favorite line was (something like this) the Waodani ask why the missionaries didn't shoot them and the women reply telling them "Waongani (God) had a Son who was speared, but he didn't spear back, because he wanted the people that speared him to live."
I cried a lot, and only special movies make me cry. My biggest complaint would be that it was hard to follow. But the best thing about the movie is that it is about something that really happened, about people that really lived and died for Christ, and a tribe that really did change. I wish there were more movies like that.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

danadelfos wrote:
dawningoftime wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but my Dad saw it back in the fall and he said it was a great movie. I have found it intersting that while most secular reviews complains that the movie is too overt and boarders on proselytizing it's the exact opposite with a lot of the Christian reviews.
I think that you're talking about "Beyond the Gates of Splendor." Right?
Nope my Dad was privilaged to see End of the Spear when he was at a managers conference back in the fall. He got home and he told me about it. It's one that I want to see, but I just haven't had the time or the cash to see it.