Cars Movie

New Pixar Movie opens today

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Unfortunately Chicken Little and the Wild were from none other than Disney :(

In the recent computer animation boom of the 21st Century there are really only three studios seeking to make a claim:
Pixar - Monsters Inc.; Finding Nemo; Incredibles; Cars
Disney - Chicken Little; The Wild
Dreamworks - Shrek; Shrek 2; Shark Tale; Madagascar; Over the Hedge
There are also a couple of films from Dreamworks in conjunction with Aardman Animation such as Wallace and Gromit and Flushed Away but these are not strictly Dreamworks Animation Studios quality.

Dreamworks has done a good job over the years of trying to compete with Pixar but their films are much more tasteless and short of story... filling in the gaps with comedic gags to sell the movies rather than quality story and animation. Pixar seeks to excel in story and in the quality of animation which was the model of success for Walt Disney all those years ago.

What brings me a lot of hope is that John Lasseter (the brains and heart behind Pixar) is now in charge of Walt Disney animation and hopefully he can restore Disney's quality to that of the golden ages.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

STRYPER, You forgot Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and A Bugs Life under Pixar. :D
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Raskolnikov wrote:STRYPER, You forgot Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and A Bugs Life under Pixar. :D
Actually, I specifcally said movies in the 21st Century ;) those movies were in the 90's ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

STRYPER wrote: Pixar - Monsters Inc.; Finding Nemo; Incredibles; Cars
Well it's obvious that pixar and dreamworks have definitely done a really great job (especially compared to disney) I've watched all the pixar films except cars and they done an awesome job, but so has dreamworks and I've watched all the movies listed there and they were all good except Madagascar was kind of dumb. While pixar has amazing quality, both have very good stories and I really can't say which one I like better of the two :-k
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

STRYPER wrote:Unfortunately Chicken Little and the Wild were from none other than Disney :(

In the recent computer animation boom of the 21st Century there are really only three studios seeking to make a claim:
Pixar - Monsters Inc.; Finding Nemo; Incredibles; Cars
There are also a couple of films from Dreamworks in conjunction with Aardman Animation such as Wallace and Gromit and Flushed Away but these are not strictly Dreamworks Animation Studios quality.

Dreamworks has done a good job over the years of trying to compete with Pixar but their films are much more tasteless and short of story... filling in the gaps with comedic gags to sell the movies rather than quality story and animation. Pixar seeks to excel in story and in the quality of animation which was the model of success for Walt Disney all those years ago.

What brings me a lot of hope is that John Lasseter (the brains and heart behind Pixar) is now in charge of Walt Disney animation and hopefully he can restore Disney's quality to that of the golden ages.
Dude, you forgot Blue Sky studios, makers of the ultra fab and hilarious Ice Age. (Along with it's sequal.) And yes, those were in the 21st century.

Haystack

Edit: I think Disney might have had a hand in Ice Age, but I can't remember.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:Dude, you forgot Blue Sky studios, makers of the ultra fab and hilarious Ice Age. (Along with it's sequal.) And yes, those were in the 21st century.

Haystack

Edit: I think Disney might have had a hand in Ice Age, but I can't remember.
Thank you, I knew I was forgetting one company :roll:

Blue Sky has come out with only a few movies so far but have done fairly well in spite of themselves. Their computer animation movies to date are:
Ice Age; Robots; Ice Age 2 (and no, Disney had no hand in it ;)

In general, I think Blue Sky has a bit better story department than Dreamworks, but they still fall short of Pixar's story quality. I also prefer their gags (generally much cleaner) to Dreamworks' gags.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Who was the company that made Hoodwinked? That was great story wise, not the greatest animation though. :)

I saw Cars yesterday. I don't like country music. The soundtrack was all country music. :anxious:
It had a few funny parts, but it was lacking over all.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Who was the company that made Hoodwinked? That was great story wise, not the greatest animation though. :)
Um... Kanbar Studios :-s

I completely forgot about Hoodwinked... and for good reason. ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've been meaning to dig this thread up and share my thoughts about this movie for some time, because it's a special one to me for a few distinct reasons.

When I saw this in the theater way back when I just loved it. Nascar was big with me back then, that probably helped, but I think it's good anyway even if you don't go for the racing stuff. It's a good story.

This was the first time ever that I knew for sure I was going to buy a movie that I saw. Leaving the theater I said I'm getting this when it's out, no doubt. I knew I would want to rewatch it multiple times.

And this was when I really realized animated movies weren't just for kids. In youth group a few days after seeing this I overheard some people my age and older talking about how they went to see it and how much they liked it, discussing certain parts and laughing, and I was like 'Aha it wasn't just me! This is something anyone can like.'

I haven't seen any of the sequels, but this first movie will always hold a special place to me as an event that I can definitively point to as a turning point in how I thought about movies. And meta personal reasons aside, I still think the movie itself is really good too.