707: Mistaken For Good

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate Mistaken For Good!

5 stars
74%
4 stars
26%
3 stars
No votes
2 stars
No votes
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 23

Bren
Be positive!

707: Mistaken For Good

Post by Bren »

Another new episode is out. Jay actually has a heart.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That was a good one. \:D/ 4/5
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I thought this was a very good episode. I liked the 'growing up' of Jay: even though he did the right thing in the end, he was willing to take the consequences. This is great because I was just hoping that the Odyssey characters wouldn't always need to be set straight by adults when this episode came out. =D> 5/5 stars.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I still don't get why he asked her to take out her purse at the end. That just made no sense and was completely dumb.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

MitchNTrent said:
I still don't get why he asked her to take out her purse at the end. That just made no sense and was completely dumb.
Jay asked her to take out her purse so she would attempt to give them money. In this way, he could reveal Vance and his sins without having to come right out and say it.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I really enjoyed this episode. When Mrs. Wilson said she only had 40 dollars, and Vance said he'd take that, I felt terrible. And, Vance returned! He has some potential as a bully, though a bit different then Rodney. He's quite a bit more serious than Rodney was. I felt the story was good, and that Jay's good side is definitely starting to show, though we all knew it was there. ;) I feel that Mrs. Kramer is going to start becoming a regular. She's pretty good. Your average cranky-yet-hilarious older person. I felt I could get into the story-line, and could feel sad at Jay and Vance swindling Mrs. Wilson out of her money. Overall, 5/5.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Mrs. Kramers' "warm bedside personality" :lol:

Honestly I didn't think that Jay was very funny in this episode, but his character did develop a little more. Vance, I just don't like him at all. Not as good as last week's, but a solid episode for me.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Another elderly home episode, and good old Whit. :D Love this. \:D/

Vance: "what's her first name?"

Jay: "Mrs...?"

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Pretty good. Nice to see Jay developing a bit. I did feel really badly for Mrs Wilson. I worked in nursing homes for years and the elderly can be very vulnerable (and elder abuse is very, very common, sadly).
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

This was a good episode. I really liked seeing Jay grow as a character. I am starting to like him even more. I feel terrible for Mrs. Wilson, but I'm everything was cleared in the end.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I was surprised how good this episode was. It nearly made me cry. I was thinking this would be a real comedic episode but I'm was glad I was wrong. :D

And yay for hearing from Vance! I was worried that they killed his character after Jay became such a fan-favorite.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I almost got a Lucy and Kurt flashback there! That was a very good episode. Things in Odyssey are really looking up now. I am very glad! :)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Suffice it to say, this episode is one of the best slice-of-life comedies in the history of Odyssey. It's not the best by any means, but it is outstandingly good and I am pleased with the direction Odyssey is going. Mistaken For Good had a tough bill to follow after The Labyrinth and To Mend or Repair, but the episode succeeded.

Jay is simply amazing. He is charming, realistic and makes me laugh every time. The lady asked him how old he was, and he bluntly replied, "50". That's hilarious. :lol:

It was good to see Vance again. He was my favorite post-relaunch new character before Jay shined in The Green Ring Conspiracy.

Good episode, nice character development, fantastic moral. I approve.

4.4 / 5 stars
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I listened to this with my 13 year-old sister and 11 year old brother and we were laughing a whole bunch of the time. I didn't think it was fair that Jay can't visit Mrs. Wilson anymore, but hopefully that will get corrected eventually.
American Eagle wrote:Jay is simply amazing. He is charming, realistic and makes me laugh every time. The lady asked him how old he was, and he bluntly replied, "50". That's hilarious.
I thought he said 15... :-k

\:D/
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

No fare for Jay that he couldn't go back. Yet he is changing :)
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Lee wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Jay is simply amazing. He is charming, realistic and makes me laugh every time. The lady asked him how old he was, and he bluntly replied, "50". That's hilarious.
I could be mistaken, but I think he said 50 because he wanted more money.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

American Eagle wrote:
Lee wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I think he said 50 because he wanted more money.
I'm listening to it again...

Oh you're right. :lol:

\:D/
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Wow. This was not the episode I was expecting. And I'm glad to say it was a very pleasant surprise. Jay was great. It was nice to hear from this nicer side of him. The theme was good too. I think it's awesome that Jay learned his own lesson and punished himself. Don't get me wrong, Whit driving home the lesson is an amazing plot device, but it was so much more effective this time for Jay to learn for himself. I liked hearing about J&J Antiques again. This is reference number two since relaunch right? (Deleted scene included in an album version) It would have been so amazing if they had had a scene with Jack selling Olivia the music box. Just for us fans. At that point, this would have probably been five stars. As it is, I'm thinking 4.5. Good job.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I really liked this episode! Album 55 is getting better and better \:D/
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I probably shouldn't have read Ben Warren's review of this episode at The Changing Times before I tried to review it, because he said everything that I wanted to say, and I might sound like I'm ripping him off, copying everything he said. I'll try to keep this all original, but I'll give the credit to him for bringing most of these thoughts to the forefront of my mind. It has been several days since I read his post though, so I think this should be mostly from my mind.

I really, really, really liked this episode. From the very beginning of the episode, I knew I was going to like it. The episode summary gave away that it was going to have a single storyline, without trying to meld two or three together for a singular moral. Therefore, I had high expectations, since I tend to like singular stories better. And the episode definitely met my high expectations. It was high in entertainment value, it definitely held my attention, and it had a great lesson to be learned.

The plot for this story was very original and genius. Not only have we had very few episodes in nursing homes in the past, but we've never had an episode where someone is cheating one of the residents. I think this is what made the story so emotionally engaging. Two teens stealing money from an old lady is something we can all see as deplorable and evil. So from the beginning, we are genuinely disappointed and frustrated with Jay for taking the money, and then we can later sympathize with him when Vance forces him to keep doing it with blackmail.

The characters and actors were all amazing in this episode. Kelly Stables again did a wonderful job as Olivia. I'm glad the directors decided to keep her on, instead of going back to Hope Levy. Ms. Stables makes her a much more likeable character. Whit Hertford, as always, nailed Jay's character and emotions. Vance's actor gave him the perfect sinister sound. Mrs. Kramer was true to the character we've grown to like over the last few episodes she's been in. And even Andre Stojka surprised me by doing a very good job as Whit. He was only in a couple of scenes, but he seemed much more like Whit than he has in the past. It was great to have him in that climax scene where Jay gets himself caught.

On that note, I don't understand why so many people were confused by Jay's actions in that scene. It totally made sense to me that he was giving himself away. He had already demonstrated that he didn't want to ask for the money anymore, so when he did ask, I knew exactly what he was doing. And I thought it was a very intelligent move. It was a great resolution, and it was what made the episode so great. Jay listened to his conscience and showed us that he is able to do the right thing, even when it meant getting Vance totally ticked at him. And he was content to take the punishment for what he did wrong.

Well I'm running out of time to write this morning, so I'll say, I really loved this episode. It was a true slice-of-life episode, the likes of which we haven't seen for a long time in Odyssey. It was great to hear of places like J&J Antiques and other places around Odyssey that we've known and loved for years. I very much hope that the writers will give us more episodes like these in the future.