711: Sgt. York Part 4

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What's your rating?

5 stars
60%
4 stars
20%
3 stars
10%
2 stars
10%
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 10

Bren
Be positive!

711: Sgt. York Part 4

Post by Bren »

The final part is here. \:D/

ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

That is one of the best episodes I have heard in a very long time. o.O I'm going to be re-listening to it.. \:D/

"Blow that whistle or you'll hear the angel Gabrial blowing his horn." or Red Hollard's scaring Eugene was good too. ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The whistle line was probably the best, but they downplayed Robert's death. .it didn't seem as if he died or anything, really :- It was an average episode, which I think might have worked better as a 3-parter, or even a 2-parter, depending how it was done. 7/10
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I really liked this episode, I love the history episodes, and the Alvin York story was such a great one. The whistle line was the best \:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Marvin D. wrote:The whistle line was probably the best, but they downplayed Robert's death. .it didn't seem as if he died or anything, really :-
Keep in mind this is for young kids.. ;)

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:The whistle line was probably the best, but they downplayed Robert's death. .it didn't seem as if he died or anything, really :-
Coming up next album: civil war strikes Odyssey! Wooton verses Penny! Eugene verses Katrina! A death in every episode! You'll wait in anticipation each episode to find out who Whit decides to torture in his basement!

;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

"Hi, this is Paul McCusker, executive producer of Adventures in Odyssey. Because of the extreme intensity in today's episode, we don't recommend for children under 13 years old."

WHEE.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

DanP740 wrote:
The Kings Daughter wrote:
Coming up next album: civil war strikes Odyssey! Wooton verses Penny! Eugene verses Katrina! A death in every episode! You'll wait in anticipation each episode to find out who Whit decides to torture in his basement!

;)
And I thought the show was finally going back uphill. :(
Marvin D. wrote:"Hi, this is Paul McCusker, executive producer of Adventures in Odyssey. Because of the extreme intensity in today's episode, we don't recommend for children under 13 years old."

WHEE.
Fine then. xD But seriously, the episode almost had me crying as it is. :noway: Of course, I have been somewhat emotionally unstable this week, but... \:D/

Gracy didn't seem as good in this one for some reason, she wasn't as...supportive.

Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Well here we are at the end of Odyssey's first four-part episode (unless you count Plan B, but I don't, because it had separate subtitles for each episode :D). My knee-jerk reaction is, I really, really liked it. Album 55 continues to get better and better.

At first I thought that a series of Kid's Radio broadcasts was a weird way to frame the episodes, but it grew on me. It was nice to have little snippets of film reel or radio that explained the parts that would be weird in dialogue. And I liked the way Eugene and Red were able to recap everything at the beginning of each episode instead of there being a "Previously on Adventures in Odyssey..." segment. But one problem I had was that I didn't think the chemistry between Red and Eugene was very good. They were polar opposites in their presentation, and while others may view that as a good thing and that it was good to balance out Eugene's boringness, I'm still not that big a fan of Red. But I have to admit, Red was probably a better choice than Wooton, who may have been the only alternative. I still don't like his accent very much though.

More than anything, I think I enjoyed the overabundance of references to God and the Bible throughout these episodes. It's been a looong time since we've had such a spiritually-oriented group of episodes. The Jubilee Singers came close, but I don't think it was anywhere near as deep as these. The AIO team decided to discuss a touchy subject, and I applaud them for it. I like it when difficult subjects are touched on, even when I know people will have many varying opinions. I think it's better that AIO take a side on an issue than to just leave it undiscussed. I personally think they took the right side, but even if they didn't, I'm glad they took a step in the direction of controversial subject matter. We haven't really seen any controversy since Album 49 when the writers discussed abortion, gambling, and divorce all in the same collection. I thought it was very reminiscent of the "old days" to have a character figuring out his own convictions based on what he read in Scripture. What a concept! Using the advice of the Lord of the universe to help you make a difficult choice.

The scene at the end of the second episode was my favorite of the whole four parts. It was very good to have an older, wiser character giving biblical advice to a younger, more ignorant character. Verses were used from both the Old and the New Testaments, which is always good. The scene even impressed my dad, which is very hard to do these days. ;P We need to have more scenes like that featuring Mr. Whittaker. The only thing I think we've had so far since the relaunch that was similar to this was Mr. Parker's conversation with Olivia in Wooton Knows Best. And you all know how much I loved that scene. :)

All the action in these episodes was great. The war scenes were very realistic; they were great food for the imagination. And they even got a little intense. It was great to have Dave Arnold introducing the last two episodes because of that intensity. It's been a long time since we've had a parental warning on an episode. I'm thinking maybe...somewhere in Album 49? It made me feel like I was listening to "the old Odyssey" again. It was sad when Alvin's two friends died: Robert and Murray. I was glad that Harry didn't die. He was my favorite of Alvin's friends. He reminded me of Liz Horton's brother Mark in Room Enough for Two. I think he may have been played by the same actor. Oh, actually, AIO Wiki says that he was the voice of Dirk Beggs, but not Mark Horton. All the same, he had a great voice, and very genuine emotions.

I was planning on addressing the historical accuracy of the episodes, but I don't know how much I can, since I hadn't read or heard anything about Sgt. York before the episodes aired. (I actually had it in my head that he was an officer during the Civil War, not WWI!) But I've heard enough from my brother and my best friend who have read York's journal to know that it was pretty close. They both liked the episodes a lot, so it must not have been that terrible of a deviation. ;) They said that the army commander was portrayed a little poorly at the beginning of the second episode. He wasn't really that hard on Alvin. But they said that the discussion about the Bible verses was very accurate. As Red mentioned in Episode I, the book doesn't really say too much about Gracie, so most of the scenes with her were speculation, but I was okay with that. His interactions with her before his salvation went far to show how depraved his heart was.

At the end of it all, I was surprised and amazed at the big accomplishment York made in capturing such a large squadron of German soldiers. I don't know what part that played in the overall ending of the war, but I can imagine that he was heralded as a hero in the hearts of many Americans. You have to do something pretty big to get a letter from the president.

So as you can see, I very much enjoyed these episodes. There were a few quirks, but the good far outweighed the bad in this case. I can't wait to see what is in store for us in the coming final weeks of Album 55!
Last edited by Christian A. on Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really liked this episode. A satisfying ending. I love it when AIO does a story from history! :)
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I loved this episode. I already knew what would happen [comes from studying history.] The battle scene is one of the first[at least modern wars] in AIO history I think.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

What about Whit and Uncle Joe's war stories?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Yeah, and what about Marvin's adventure in The American Revelation, Parts I and II?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Also, why isn't there a poll to rate this episode?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

And why are we asking all these questions?

Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

DanP740 wrote:What about Whit and Uncle Joe's war stories?
All of them the character isn't in the battle
Christian A. wrote:Yeah, and what about Marvin's adventure in The American Revelation, Parts I and II?
ancient warfare
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

DanP740 wrote:Also, why isn't there a poll to rate this episode?
Your wish is my command!

A friendly reminder from your semi-friendly mod :D :
People really need to make sure that they include a poll when they start an episode thread.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Focus on the Family had started to turn things around with the Green Ring Conspiracy and they have found their groove again. I loved this episode and the series but my favorite was part 3.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Having heard this saga a few times *since downloading it* I can say that even though it was a bit long, and probably could've been a 3 parter, I did enjoy it a lot. I was excited before about these episodes because I remember learning about Alvin York when I was in high school; we even watched the movie about him (old, black and white film, made in the 40s). I think these episodes was a slightly different than the movie, but I don't remember all the details.

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I listened to the four parts spread over two days, and I really enjoyed it overall. I wasn't familiar with the story at all, which was kind of nice, since that meant I didn't know what would happen next! I really liked the emphasis on reading your Bible and listening to God before making decisions. It was clear that it was important in the episode, and then Chris did a nice little recap at the end too. I enjoyed the historical story. My parents still like to listen to AIO now and then during car trips, and I know that my dad will really enjoy this one.

I think it was part 1 where Alvin was telling his brother about how to hunt the turkeys and I kept waiting for Alvin to use it in during his time as a soldier. I had a feeling that it would be important, so I was quite pleased when it came up when he was busy capturing all those soldiers! :D