BBC's "Sherlock" Series

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

BBC's "Sherlock" Series

Post by Sherlock »

Okay, so admittedly this was kind of an excuse for a self-named topic, but whatever. \:D/

Is anyone else watching this series? I took a while to finally decide to sit through it, and since I think Netflix has 3 episodes up, I decided to go ahead and watch the first episode. So far, it seems tolerable (at least in comparison to some other modern Conan Doyle rewrites). I was happy even to notice a few hat tips to the original Grenada series (Jeremy Brett/Edward Hardwicke) as well as the book.

For example:
I liked the scene where Watson returns to 221B to find Holmes wearing three nicotene patches. In response to Watson's inquiry as to why he would wear three, Holmes makes a comment that the situation seems like a "three patch problem" (clearly a spin on Holmes' occasional "three pipe problem" references in the original books).
On the other hand, there were a few modernizations that irked me, but not terribly since it is, after all, set against a modern backdrop. I thought the casting was pretty good and, especially, that Martin Freeman was a really good choice for the role of Watson (though I'm a big "Office" fan and "Love Actually" is probably my favorite romantic comedy, so take that as you will... ;))

Anyway - what are your thoughts if you've seen the series - and perhaps more episodes than I? Does it get better? Worse?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

There's an episode with a naked lady in season 2 that is awkward and gross and bad so I didn't exactly look at what was happening and just played a game on my computer instead.
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I only have one episode left in season 1. At first I thought that it was going to be terrible, but know that I've seen more...I'm really starting the like it.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

ah, season 1; ends with a mighty cliffhanger \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Shennifer wrote:ah, season 1; ends with a mighty cliffhanger \:D/
Season 1? What about season 2? :mad:
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

How about Episode 1?!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Astronomer wrote:
Shennifer wrote:ah, season 1; ends with a mighty cliffhanger \:D/
Season 1? What about season 2? :mad:
indeed; season 2 ends even more dramatically. Can't wait till fall 2013. Other fandoms who wait got nothin on us :D

Ditto, Sherlock. And
you're alive??? I saw you jump. I saw you die.
Last edited by Shennifer on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Tumblr has so much Sherlock fandom going on it... It's a good show overall!
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I enjoyed the first series, didn't think much of the second, with the exception of Reichenbach Falls, which was well done. Irene Adler was well handled, but I just didn't enjoy the episode. And Hounds was bizarre. Booo. (Why, yes, I can make mature media observations. Booo.)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

This series was great! I really liked it. For some reason, the Doctor reminds me of Sherlock, because of his amazing deduction skills, and his really fast speech.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

It helps that they're written by the same people, for the most part. (Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.)
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I watched the the first episode of season two....that was the best episode yet. The ending was amazing! :D
Last edited by Anemone on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I will say Sherlock's character is growing on me and I'm not even totally appalled by the obsessive smartphone usage anymore. ;)
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I did like both seasons, though I try to avoid the beginning of season 2 for reasons others have mentioned ;)

I do want to read the original stories though and perhaps see the Robert Downey Jr. movies.

Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

So I'm shamelessly bumping this topic because I'm desperate to let off steam lol.

I just finished the last episode of Season 2, and I am totally in love with Sherlock. :inlove: (I got hooked after the first episode and watched them all this week.) He's amazingly crazy and brilliant and gorgeous, and Martin Freeman is adorable, and Molly is pitiably cute, and Lestrade is hilarious, and Mrs. Hudson is lovable, and Moriarty is hot in a psychotic way, and, and, and.... *dies*
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

It's funny that this topic was bumped, because I, too, have joined the Sherlock fandom \:D/ I watched my first episode last week.
*insert provocative quote here*
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Yes! We have another convert \:D/

Anyway, I have since seen the Robert Downey Jr. movies and read many more of the original stories since last post here. the movies were good, and the stories were pretty neat too. Can definitely see how they adapted them for "Sherlock".
Indeed, Aeva, all the characters are amazing. Me and my roommates last year watched the series, and spent a lot of time looking at cute pictures of Benedict. :) But not in a creepy way of course.

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I just got the first season from the library and really wanted to love it. However, we turned it off after about 15 minutes because of the language. :( *sigh* I wish they wouldn't put in unnecessary things like that! I want to know what those pills were... :- Somebody tell me. :x
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Sherlock has some really amazing writing, and the Irene Adler one was SO GOOD, plus that Season 2 cliffhanger...and the actors and the characters and the modernization but still Sherlockian stuff...

2014 PLEASE COME SOON! :D
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I remember seeing this topic before. So what I want to know is why it isn't full of my effusive praise? :anxious:

Basically, Sherlock is my favourite tv show ever. I am a huge fan, ever since I watched all three episodes of season one in the space of 14 hours almost two years ago. I thought season one was brilliant, and then watched season two, and suddenly season one just wasn't that impressive anymore. The Reichenbach Fall was outstanding.

And that's without even mentioning how amazing Benedict is as Sherlock. :inlove: