Pixar's "Brave" Trailer

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I saw the movie last night. It was amazing! The animation was beautiful, and the story was interesting and inspiring. The only negative thing (in my opinion) was that there was a witch in two scenes, however the witch was not adored or presented as wise. If the witch has been presented as a "good witch," then I would have been very disappointed with Brave. Thankfully, that was not the case. Brave was a great movie, and I loved almost all of it. :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Steve wrote:Seriously, this is one of the most underhyped Pixar movies of all time.
I didn't even know that it was coming out until yesterday when a girl at work told me.
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

Personally, I think that it was frightening at times and could use NO MAGIC, but otherwise, it was a good movie.

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I quite enjoyed it.
It had a good plot and kept you on your toes...

HOWVER...

In my opinion, this was simply Disney's atempt at "How to Train Your Dragon," in a way.
First of all, the animation style was fairly similer.
The stories are both about the first born of the leader of the local group of people (in Brave, it was Scottish, in HTTYD, it was Norse) trying to "prove themselves" to both, their parents, and themselves.
They both have to overcome a large beast.
They both figure out why the beats are the way they are.
These reasons, along with several others, have lead me to belive that Disney saw how successful HTTYD was, so they decided they should make something similer to try and have the same success.

Now don't get me wrong, I think it was a good movie with a good lesson, and is fairly high on my list of good movies.
I'm just pointing out some observations that I made.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CreativeThinker101
Fourscore and seven

Post by CreativeThinker101 »

Um...
Last edited by CreativeThinker101 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Signed,
CreativeThinker101
And Check out my AIO website! Here's a link: http://www.justanotheraioblog.blogspot.com/ Please comment on it! Because if you don't, I'm gonna call the exterminator!
THANK YOU
(P.S. What an interesting and fun website.)
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

~JCGJ~ wrote:These reasons, along with several others, have lead me to belive that Disney saw how successful HTTYD was, so they decided they should make something similer to try and have the same success.
The thing is, Brave has been in production since 2006, four years before How To Train Your Dragon was released. Just sayin'.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Brave was awesome. Seriously.

The first half hour or so was somewhat what you would expect from seeing the trailers.. a cliched, worn approach at a rebellious young protagonist who yearns for adventure and freedom from her royal 'princess' obligations. The themes of fate and 'following your heart' are immediately prominent. Then, quite unexpectedly, a unique and refreshing plot twist steers the story into a delightful and endearing direction. Brave enters uncharted moral Hollywood territory, I believe, with its exploration of the mother-daughter relationship. Merida's mistakes have real consequences, ones that are only solvable through forgiveness and redemption. The setting is beautiful, and the world of unseen magic and benevolent guidance is enchanting in all the right ways. In the last line, Merida concludes that you can choose your own destiny. That may be true, but her 'fate' might have ended badly if it hadn't been for the mysterious will-o’-the-wisps!

A Pixar winner. 9/10.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I nearly fell off the trunk of the car (we went to a drive in...) because parts of it were so frustrating.

But that just makes the movie more exciting.

:D

EMBEE wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:These reasons, along with several others, have lead me to belive that Disney saw how successful HTTYD was, so they decided they should make something similer to try and have the same success.
The thing is, Brave has been in production since 2006, four years before How To Train Your Dragon was released. Just sayin'.
Fair enough.
I was just pointing out several similarities between the movies.

CreativeThinker101 wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned that Brave practically had nudity? This is a kid's film! I won't say what it showed, but those of you who saw it would know. Honestly, that was a big disappointment. Pixar seemed to be the only animation studio that didn't resort to rude humor. Now, they've gone kerplunk. I still defended Pixar after Cars 2, but to be honest, I don't have very high expectations for Monsters Academy. Also, it seemed like the only two characters that were truly developed were Merida and her mom. I think all of the main characters should be developed by the end. Merida's dad and the lords were just there for laughs. And the triplets got on my nerves, honestly. The plot, also, didn't seem as exciting as the movie advertised it to be. On movie posters, Merida was always shown with a bow. But did the bow really configure with the plot much? I think they should have showed a bear on the movie poster or something, since that was the biggest part of the plot. I won't give any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen the movie, though. Overall, I thought (against popular opinion) that Cars 2 was better than Brave. But not by much. Truly, Pixar has all but sunk. (But I would just like to say that the only thing that Pixar gets better and better at is their animation. Brave's animation was really breathtaking! That's the only thing I would give this movie two thumbs up on!)
Well, in Cars, I seem to remember a couple of crude jokes...
For example:

Lightning McQueen:
"Doc. Hudson has 3 Piston Cups!"

Mater:
"He did what in his cup?"

Un-nessisary for a movie about cars...

But anyway...
They/Them
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

CreativeThinker101 wrote:Overall, I thought (against popular opinion) that Cars 2 was better than Brave. But not by much. Truly, Pixar has all but sunk.
There are so many things wrong with this I don't even.....

If you're so distracted by 'rude' jokes that you're incapable of appreciating a brilliant story, you should probably just avoid movies all together.
Last edited by jelly on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw "Brave" a few weeks ago and never posted about it. :anxious: It wasn't my favourite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it overall. My brother thought it was kind of lame, but I could relate to the mother/daughter relationship stuff and found that part very well done. I have a good relationship with my mom, but that doesn't mean that there hasn't ever been conflict. ;) I really enjoyed seeing an authentic portrayal of that part of family life.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Tyler Durden wrote:
CreativeThinker101 wrote:Overall, I thought (against popular opinion) that Cars 2 was better than Brave. But not by much. Truly, Pixar has all but sunk.
There are so many things wrong with this I don't even.....

If you're so distracted by 'rude' jokes that you're incapable of appreciating a brilliant story, you should probably just avoid movies all together.
I never said I was distracted by rude jokes.
I simply pointed it out.

I think that a little crudness (used in the right context) can really add to a movie's affectiveness. For example, in The Help, with the pie.
But when little jokes (like that one in Cars) do nothing to enhance the movie at all (because they are most likely the result of bored script-writers), that's when I feel it's unnessiary.

*End of Mini-Rant*
They/Them
Marc.
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Marc. »

The animation and visuals were amazing.
Everything else was the opposite of amazing. I basically agree with everything CreativeThinker101 just said.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I am trying so hard not to see this movie. And really, that's not much of a challenge.
he/him | a little stinker.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

You're not brave enough to handle it?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Marc.
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Marc. »

Marc. wrote:The animation and visuals were amazing.
Everything else was the opposite of amazing. I basically agree with everything CreativeThinker101 said.
Well, I agree that it wasn't that great. I don't agree that it was worse than Cars 2, or that Pixar is dead.
I just didn't think it was as good as any of their past movies (other than Cars 2). I liked the overall moral about responsibility, but I just didn't really think it was that great of a plot. And it was kind of generic. "Princess gets upset about being a princess, rebels, rebellion causes terrible things to happen, everything is sorted out in the end." I don't know, I've just come to really have high expectations from Pixar, and this did not even come close to meeting them.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Marc. wrote:And it was kind of generic. "Princess gets upset about being a princess, rebels, rebellion causes terrible things to happen, everything is sorted out in the end." I don't know, I've just come to really have high expectations from Pixar, and this did not even come close to meeting them.
Man, I don't even think you saw the same movie I did. Brave was pretty much an epic success because it didn't settle for a generic plot. Generic would have been where the girl gets upset about being a princess, rebels against the system, is the hero because she is an advocate for heroic feminism. Instead, we got a story where rebellion is met with consequence, and responsibility is the driving theme rather than individualism. I haven't seen too many animated films with the stamina to shoot for such a high moral standard, and I was very, very pleasantly surprised.

Naturally, I also have high expectations from Pixar, and I felt that Brave delivered 100%.
Marc.
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Marc. »

Apparently the popular opinion is that it was a good movie. Maybe I was tired, or grumpy when I saw it, but I just remember thinking, as the credits rolled, "That was disappointing." And whenever I think about it, it is not fondly.
Or maybe it was because they showed the trailer for the Hobbit first, and all I could think about was The Hobbit, and how awesome it's going to be.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

From what I've heard of this movie...I am VERY surprised that you like it, Jelly. :p

Which compels me to see it for myself.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I just want to address CreativeThinker on the part about it being practically nude:
I saw 2 guys in their underwear on a McDonald's commercial.
CreativeThinker101
Fourscore and seven

Post by CreativeThinker101 »

Jelly wrote: If you're so distracted by 'rude' jokes that you're incapable of appreciating a brilliant story, you should probably just avoid movies all together.
I'm not. I can take some 'rude' jokes, but nudity, even if it's animated, is going a bit too far for a movie that's targeted at 6 and 7-year olds. And I also don't believe it was a brilliant story. It was something Disney could've conjured up and done much better at. In fact, any fantasy filmmaker could have come up with the storyline quite easily. I didn't find it inspiring, touching, exciting, or great at all. But that's just my opinion. I have mine, and you have yours.
Signed,
CreativeThinker101
And Check out my AIO website! Here's a link: http://www.justanotheraioblog.blogspot.com/ Please comment on it! Because if you don't, I'm gonna call the exterminator!
THANK YOU
(P.S. What an interesting and fun website.)