The Harry Potter Thread

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

What is your favorite Harry Potter movie?

The Philosophers Stone
15%
The Chamber of Secrets
No votes
The Prisoner of Azkaban
8%
The Goblet of Fire
23%
The Order of the Phoenix
8%
The Half Blood Prince
8%
The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8%
The Deathly Hallows part 2
31%

Total votes: 13

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Yes, absolutely, let's spare the life of the Ax Crazy witch who's killed everybody. Bellatrix was too far gone for a chance at redemption. It was absolutely necessary to kill off Bellatrix. Molly wasn't trying to murder her; Molly was defending her only daughter and surrogate daughter, not to mention avenging the death of one of her sons, which Bellatrix mocked her for. Bellatrix was digging her own grave. She was an excellent villainess, which is why it was very satisfying to see her get what she deserved--not from someone all heroic and brave whom we'd expect, but from Molly Weasley--a housewife. I'm not saying to kill all the Death Eaters, but Bellatrix had already been spared before.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

So it's okay to kill people if we think they deserve it? :-s

Bellatrix may have been crazy, but she was very dedicated to what she thought was right (even if it was evil).

I think Azkaban is a worse fate than death, however the books were not very clear as to whether or not she died.

Molly Weasley (much like Harry) was exceptionally lucky in her defeat of Bellatrix Lestrange. Bellatrix was probably the third or fourth most powerful wizard of her time, and at the time of The Last Battle, second or third. She wasn't able to escape from Azkaban so it would have been safe to put her back their.

Edit: I have something else, but I forgot.
Last edited by 31899 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Is it right to kill people? Probably not. But this was a war. And all's fair, as they say. I think Molly killed her. And really, rightly so in my opinion. Bellatrix valued human life so little that she killed her first cousin and laughed about it. Her sister, on the other hand, loved her son so much that she betrayed the Dark Lord to get a chance to see him again. If Bella had checked on Harry in the forest, she would have cast a killing curse on him again just to be sure he wasn't faking it.
Ginny Weasley wrote:Michael Gambon is the best Dumbledore EVER. \:D/
Yes. Richard Harris was a very gentle, warm, grandfatherly Dumbledore. And that worked well for the first movie. But Michael Gambon gave him much more complexity and depth of character. You always knew from the look in his eye that he was keeping some deep dark secrets about himself. He played the part without ever reading the books. Although Rowling did give each actor insights into their character that the rest of the world didn't know yet or would never know.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
TigerintheShadows

darcie wrote:But this was a war.
...Yeah, that sums up everything I was thinking.
darcie wrote:I think Molly killed her. And really, rightly so in my opinion.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows wrote:"What will happen to your children when I've killed you?" taunted Bellatrix, as mad as her master, capering as Molly's curses danced around her. "When Mummy's gone the same way as Freddie?"

"You--will--never--touch--our--children--again!" screamed Mrs. Weasley.

Bellatrix laughed, the same exhilarated laugh her cousin Sirius had given as he toppled backward through the veil, and suddenly Harry knew what was going to happen before it did.

Molly's curse soared beneath Bellatrix's outstretched arm and hit her squarely in the chest, directly over her heart.

Bellatrix's gloating smile froze, her eyes seemed to bulge: For the tiniest space of time she knew what had happened, and then she toppled, and the watching crowd roared, and Voldemort screamed.
And isn't it kind of funny, whether it was intentional or not, that Bellatrix's and Sirius's deaths both were described as "toppling" in that scene? Highlighting the parallels, methinks...or maybe I'm overanalyzing a bit. ;)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Ginny Weasley wrote: The whole scene with Molly vs. Bellatrix was just wondrous. I cheered. I knew what would happen, having read Plugged In's review, but I didn't know it would be that awesome until I saw it.
Everyone in my theater durring the premere cheered.
I must say that I did too.
:D
Ginny Weasley wrote:
Did anyone else totally love the ending scene of Deathly Hallows Part 2? The music in the scene...just...man.
Oh, my goodness...
I cried.
It was so perfect.
Couldn't have ended differently...
Except maybe Harry could have
fixed his own wand (like in the book),
but other than that;
PERFECT.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

~JCGJ~ wrote:Except maybe Harry could have
fixed his own wand (like in the book),
I missed that moment too. :(
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I loved the last two movies; they were really well done.

As far as the debate that was going, I definitely think Bellatrix deserved to die.

(I don't post here enough; I should though, given how much I love the series.)

Till the end of the line.
TigerintheShadows

JCGJ--are you talking about the ending with the Golden Trio, or the epilogue with the next generation going off to Hogwarts? Or both?
Honestly, I wish that they'd done a combination of Harry fixing his wand and Harry snapping the Elder Wand in half. I think that the Elder Wand really should have been destroyed; it was too big of a threat. And Harry pretty much announced the whole story to the whole of the Great Hall, which was not only full of Hogwartians/Order members, but full of Death Eaters. I mean, it's not likely that anyone who'd want to would even be free to go after the Elder Wand or Harry or anything...but it's worth mentioning. (You'd think that if a wand was "more trouble than it's worth" that he'd just destroy it and get it out of his hair.)
On a completely unrelated note, has anyone here ever thought of a map of Hogwarts? Because I've been practically having a nervous breakdown trying to make one.
AIO tumblr sideblog

Post by 31899 »

Agree to disagree?

On the topic of the Blacks, did anyone else think that there was insufficient Andromeda in the the series?
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

OK, first off, Bellatrix did have to die- and I don't think it was wrong of Molly to kill her- it was in a battle- and Bellatrix was attacking her daughter. This is war. if none of the Order killed any of the DE then they would have been toast.

@Ginny, I have never tried to construct a map of Hogwarts. It would be most interesting to try and make one, but it sounds difficult.
TigerintheShadows

I wish there'd been more of Andromeda. She's got some potential. Sirius did, too, but he just grew up with the generic Black family; Andromeda grew up with Bellatrix and Narcissa. She would have been an interesting character to explore; chances are she's one of the few nice Slytherins Harry ever encountered.

Yes, Taps, it is. Eurrrggh. So much depends on placement--where you put the lake determines where you put North Tower (the lake is south, according to Ron in the third book), the greenhouses, the vegetable patch, and the Whomping Willow (because Harry and Ron fly over them in quick succession in the second), where you put Hagrid's hut determines the placement of the Gryffindor and Astronomy Towers and the Forbidden Forest (Hagrid's hut is at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, is visible from Gryffindor Tower, and is close to the Astronomy Tower because Harry and Hagrid can see the tower from Hagrid's hut in the sixth book), Ravenclaw Tower has to have a view of the greenhouses, the mountains, the lake, and the Quidditch pitch (because of information from Pottermore), and the Defense Against the Dark Arts Tower has to be put near the Quidditch pitch, which in turn has to be placed near Hagrid's hut (Harry has a view of the pitch from Umbridge's office in the fifth book, and in the second he mentions that Hagrid's hut is nearest when Ron needs to recover from slug-belching).
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

Ginny, your making my head hurt ;)

So, anybody have a least favorite character?
TigerintheShadows

It was worse trying to draw it at 11:45 at night. ;) I love JK Rowling, but I think I might wring her neck if I ever meet her.

Umbridge. No contest. Freakin' sadistic evil teacher woman-lady-thing. Her evilness impressed Stephen King, if I recall correctly.
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I hate Umbridge, but I think she's a fantastic character. I'm totally annoyed and bored by Lavender Brown.

And I think it's completely impossible to make an accurate map of Hogwarts. Some rooms totally changed location from book to book.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

darcie wrote:And I think it's completely impossible to make an accurate map of Hogwarts. Some rooms totally changed location from book to book.
Thus lies the fun in a magic castle.

Tags fixed - BC
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.

Post by 31899 »

Taps wrote:OK, first off, Bellatrix did have to die- and I don't think it was wrong of Molly to kill her- it was in a battle- and Bellatrix was attacking her daughter. This is war. if none of the Order killed any of the DE then they would have been toast.
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this and move on other wise we would just be taking another loop around the mulberry bush (or whomping willow).
Ginny Weasley wrote:I wish there'd been more of Andromeda. She's got some potential. Sirius did, too, but he just grew up with the generic Black family; Andromeda grew up with Bellatrix and Narcissa. She would have been an interesting character to explore; chances are she's one of the few nice Slytherins Harry ever encountered.
Well, some Slytherins did stay to defend Hogwarts, (but that is off topic). I really would have like to see her interactions with Bellatrix or Narcissa (and perhaps a duel with Bellatrix). It was slightly disappointing (I found) that we only actually met her once. However, if J.K. Rowling were to publish a sequel to the Deathly Hallows I think we would see a lot more of her, because (from what I've gathered) she and Harry raised Teddy Lupin.

Has everyone played through the new Pottermore material yet?
TigerintheShadows

31899 wrote:However, if J.K. Rowling were to publish a sequel to the Deathly Hallows I think we would see a lot more of her, because (from what I've gathered) she and Harry raised Teddy Lupin.
I hope there is no sequel...for one thing, I like my fanfiction (I don't think I've ever been more inspired to write fanfic and draw fanart than I have been for HP), and for another, I'm riding along in my Katie/Oliver-Lily/Scorpius-loads-of-other-pairings-I-like ignorance, and I'd hate to be proven wrong. ;) That being said, it would be interesting to see Daddy!Harry, and I'd love to see him interact more with Andromeda, maybe gain some perspective on the Black family, because I don't think that Andromeda would be really biased against them (as Sirius was) or really biased for them (as Bellatrix was).

Thing is, Rowling's basically said that if she ever does write anything for a Harry Potter sequel, it would probably be years before we ever saw it. I did like the idea of the whole "Harry Potter Encyclopedia" thing, but I don't think we're going to see that, either, since we've got Pottermore. (Besides, I wouldn't want it to go into franchise zombie mode like SpongeBob and Warriors have, to one degree or another.)
31899 wrote:I really would have like to see her interactions with Bellatrix or Narcissa
I like to think that Narcissa and Andromeda made up after the war. It would be an interesting thing to see played out. (That aside, Teddy and by extension some of the Weasleys might get to know Scorpius, and I can totally see Scorpius being best buds with Albus and Lucius raging and sulking in the background. \:D/ )

If anyone would like to be nice to me and PM me some of the info they've gotten off of Pottermore (aside from McGonagall's story; it made me sad to read that about her and made me like her all the more), that would fill my heart with happiness.
31899 wrote:(or whomping willow).
(I see what you did there)
AIO tumblr sideblog
Taps

Post by Taps »

31899, I haven't played through the new Pottermore material, and really I don't think I will, is there anything exiting I should check out?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

They awarded the House Cup for the first year and opened up the beginning of Chamber of Secrets. Kimberly played through it, but I haven't. Chapters 1-4 or 5?

Post by 31899 »

Has anyone checked-out MyHogwarts? I signed up so I could use WrockBox.