722: The Lost Riddle

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this show?

5 stars: There's no question that I love this episode!
22%
4 stars: It was mysteriously good.
56%
3 stars: I spied an okay story.
22%
2 stars: Compared to a detective, it was a rookie.
No votes
1 star: Someone call the bad episode police!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
722: The Lost Riddle

Post by Peachey Keen »

The Jones and Parker Detective Agency is back. Did you like their latest mystery? Rah or nah?

Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

It made me think of Buried Sins a lot, obviously. Also, something I really liked, as in Buried Sins, we're learning more about the story of an adult we already know, as Dale Jacobs is a main character, and Dr. Thomas Newcastle had previously only had a small part in The Mysterious Stranger. I also thought of The Mystery of the Clock Tower, with the note never being delivered, and this one-sided feeling of lack of reconciliation. I liked the premise, and Emily wasn't too bad in it. Matthew burning the note was nice, as it didn't make things too easy. It was interesting hearing about the invisible ink, as I've always known that lemon works acts as such, but never specifically why until now. Also, cat urine is a good invisible ink, but that's beside the point. I also think it's funny that my sister asked me what a watermark was last week, and then Whit explains it here.

We also learn that Whit was teaching part-time for a while, presumably before it became his full-time profession.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

It was okay, I was only half listening so I can't say for sure. I liked it fine though, it was fun to hear from Dale Jacobs again.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

We are definitely building a bigger and bigger repertoire of pre-hiatus characters who have either reappeared or at least been mentioned, besides Whit, Connie, Eugene, and Wooton.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

My nitpicky flaw for this episode:

According to this episode, Dale Jacobs was in high school in 1987 (which would mean he was born in '69). He was first introduced as editor-in-chief of the Odyssey Times in 1989 with two kids around age 10. Unless he had Robyn and Melanie when he was age 10, that couldn't have happened, unless we're just on Odyssey time.

Other than that though, I thought this was one of the best J/P mysteries...it kept my attention and it's always nice to hear Phil Lollar.
Last edited by whittaker96 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

whittaker96 wrote:My nitpicky flaw for this episode:

According to this episode, Dale Jacobs was in high school in 1987 (which would mean he was born in '69). He was first introduced as editor-in-chief of the Odyssey Times in 1989 with two kids around age 10. Unless he had Robyn and Melanie when he was age 10, that couldn't have happened, unless we're just on Odyssey time.

Other than that though, I thought this was one of the best J/P mysteries...it kept my attention and it's always nice to hear Phil Lollar.
Wait a minute... did Dale age really slowly until 1987, or... do we actually have a case of someone (Robyn) hyperaging in Odyssey. EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
whittaker96 wrote:My nitpicky flaw for this episode:

Wait a minute... did Dale age really slowly until 1987, or... do we actually have a case of someone (Robyn) hyperaging in Odyssey. EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG!
Odyssey characters not aging properly? ABNORMAL BLASPHEMY! :mad:

LOL @ Mrs. Mays. She reminds me of a cross between Bernard Walton, Wooton, and Mother Gothel.

LEONARD. DID YOU CATCH TEN SECONDS FLAT. DID YOU.

...WHAT. KENNY RUTHERFORD IS AMON, YOU GUYS. I half expected him to remove Dale's bending or chi-block Emily and Matthew.

Emily didn't know about lemon juice as invisible ink. I love it when she doesn't know everything. I also loved the explanation behind why lemon juice is good for that purpose.

This was a really fun Jones and Parker Detective Agency mystery, the first I've heard in awhile. They handled Emily very well--she didn't know everything, but she was still led by curiosity and ability to remember small details. Matthew was alright, but I wish he'd been used a little less expendably--although the old "sidekick" joke was pretty cool.

I liked the scene between Whit and the kids at the end. It was just so...AIO. It also redeemed Emily as a character for me--she actually feels like a real kid, even with her (still irritating, mind you) nasal voice.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog