How Many People Think Football is Boring?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Knight Fisher wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:I find it to be much more borig than most other sports, simply because there are too many rules and regulations
But that’s the point. Football isn’t just an action sport, it’s about strategy.
So is NASCAR, but that's not why people watch it.

I mean, I truely doubt people pay 50 bucks a pop to goes watch a bunch of guys in excessive padding stragegize on artificial turf... If people want to watch strategy, just go watch a chess match.:mrgreen:
Chess is way more fun to play, but it's pure strategy. At it's finest level chess is a puzzle that fights back.

Whereas football has a physical element adding the random element that dice bring to some games. But, having some control over it, and knowing on some level what to expect. And that's what makes football so great. So many different elements combined in one form. If you concentrate to heavily on one, or not enough on another you fail. But the perfect balance is amazing.
A one hour Football game also has about 3 hours of waiting around for the action.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to Football games, but the main reason I enjoy it is the atmosphere. The sreaming, cheering, shouting, sitting in the nosebleed section and feeling the bleachers sway with the jumping... The halftime show!

Half the people who go to football games have no idea how the game works. They simply love the atmoshpere.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing... No, not in the least. I personally love it. There's not much I enjoy better than the exhileration of a Football game. However, when watching on TV, you lose all the atmosphere, the exhileration, the excitment (unless, of course, you're watching it with a big group at a party; then, you get some of that atmosphere back).

Really, the main issue I have with American Football is the 10-30 seconds of action, followed by 3-5 minutes of waiting for the refs to decide exactly where to place the ball.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:the main issue I have with American Football is the 10-30 seconds of action, followed by 3-5 minutes of waiting for the refs to decide exactly where to place the ball.
And that’s understandable, but it’s not football’s fault. That’s how the game is designed. If Aussie Rules Football had linear progression, they would need to do that as well.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:the main issue I have with American Football is the 10-30 seconds of action, followed by 3-5 minutes of waiting for the refs to decide exactly where to place the ball.
And that’s understandable, but it’s not football’s fault. That’s how the game is designed. If Aussie Rules Football had linear progression, they would need to do that as well.
However, if it had linear progression, I wouldn't find it better than American Football, and it would pretty much just be Rugby... :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Right, that’s my point. So it’s not like you can directly compare the two. The fundamentals are intrinsically different, and you prefer the one whose action is more constant. But that’s not to say that the action in football, when occurring, is less exciting.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I enjoy watching football in person, like casual games with friends and stuff, but I agree that televised football games can get really boring. I think because there are so many commercials, timeouts, etc.. I don't like to sit in front of the TV for like 4 hours on a Saturday when I could be doing more productive and exciting things :)
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I watch it... if there's a party going on at the time, and I'm there.
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?