My fate is in your hands!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What should I do with my new laptop?

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 am

Keep Windows 8 on it and get used to it!
60%
Install Windows 7 and use that instead!
40%

Total votes: 25

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:We installed Windows 8 in a whole lab at work and it has been a disaster, so we're going back to 7 over the summer.
Wow >_> But I’m sure you’re not the only organization in that position.
I like how Microsoft is claiming this is a success based on the sales. That is not how you gauge OS success, it’s not how many people try it, it’s how many keep it. For all they know everyone could be installing it, then hating it and reverting back after five minutes.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:
American Eagle wrote:The thrill of getting a new OS wore off and I realized that the design isn't practical for people like me. >_>
It isn't practical for most people =P Honestly, I can count on my fingers how many people actually LIKE it. Windows 8 is. .interesting.
It definitely is. My brother recently upgraded his laptop, and it came with windows 8. So he asked me to install some programs for him, and it took me almost half and hour just to figure out how to navigate the whole thing. ](*,)
Shh! :x They're not programs, they're *apps* :noway:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Marvin D. wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:
American Eagle wrote:The thrill of getting a new OS wore off and I realized that the design isn't practical for people like me. >_>
It isn't practical for most people =P Honestly, I can count on my fingers how many people actually LIKE it. Windows 8 is. .interesting.
It definitely is. My brother recently upgraded his laptop, and it came with windows 8. So he asked me to install some programs for him, and it took me almost half and hour just to figure out how to navigate the whole thing. ](*,)
Shh! :x They're not programs, they're *apps* :noway:
Yeah, actually the whole system seemed to me like an attempt to be like an apple, without calling it a mac. With the app store, and all that. Apple's still better though :x
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Marvin D. wrote:Shh! :x They're not programs, they're *apps* :noway:
Not necessarily. Only the Start menu boxes you download are apps. Programs you install are still programs.
For example, my computer came with news and weather apps already installed. I manually installed Firefox and Virtual Box programs.
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Joy wrote:
bookworm wrote:The closest I’ve ever been to using a Mac was when I installed the Macbuntu interface on my Linux machine.
eh, I've used 'em in the Apple store. Our family owns 4 desktops (I think there's one more not currently in use, and "my" old one that got the blue screen of death) and 3 laptops. Not one of them is a Mac. I don't think my dad is a strictly PC person. (might be) Macs are just too expensive to even be worth it. My dad's in the computer biz, so I don't think the Mac is really what he needs...
Macbuntu? A mix between Mac and Ubuntu?

Yes, I am a Mac junkie, I have a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, 5 iPods, you get the point. And macs may be expensive.....but they are DEFINARELY worth it
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The votes are in!
The fate the ToO has chosen for me is... Windows 8!

I will honor your consensus. And believe it or not, I’m going to be fine with that. I’m actually pretty used to it by now. It does take quite a bit of getting used to, but once you figure it out it’s not really difficult, it’s just silly. But it is definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. I don’t like it, but to my surprise I don’t dislike it either. I think it’s fine.

Let me try to explain, because I’m as shocked as you are for me to say that. How can I not think this is terrible? I think the key is that this is not going to be my main computer, at least not for a while. I’m still using my old laptop for my every day activities. This is going to be a backup for when the other eventually fails. Right now it’s not going to be used for frequent tasks, mostly just for running virtual machines. So I can be fine with it for that, because when you’re doing that it doesn’t act any different than any other computer.

So yeah I have to fumble through the new interface when finding and opening files or connecting to my network and things like that, but I will be doing that so sparingly that since I’ve got the basic navigation down it’s not a big deal. If I were using it every day, switching between multiple programs and editing several files, I’m sure it would be a different story and not be long before I became disillusioned by the whole thing like AE was. But for infrequent use, it’s not actually that bad.

Thank you to everyone who voted and gave input, I didn’t expect such a turnout. This was great. :)