Man of Steel (2013's Superman)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Wow this thread has been ignored for a while. Anyone else still planning on seeing this movie?
Third Trailer:

You are not Alone:
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I still really want to see it, and plan on it. I just may have to wait a couple months for it to get into the discount theater. :-
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Thinking about investing some funds into this motion picture...
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I cannot wait!!! \:D/ I'm not the hugest Superman fan. But this movie looks....amazing. Unfortunately, I'll just have to wait a couple months before it comes out and we can rent it, or something.
Superman returns! Hopefully better, this time.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Woah, my friend and I are going to the midnight showing. o.O I'm slightly excited.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

You can get early showing tickets for tomorrow night at Wal-Mart... haven't actually gone to get mine yet so no idea if they have any left around here. >_> If so, I'd like to do that. Otherwise, might do the midnight, more likely just do the first showing of the day (11am or so), unless I have to work, but I think I have the day off.

Really looking forward to this one, though. Finally a Superman movie where he punches things! \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I really really hope this is good. Because there's like one movie a year that I get excited about and this is it.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

I just ordered the tickets for Astronomer and I to go see this tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to see it :D
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Seemed appropriate to share this video too:

I have no plans to go see this movie in theaters...but who knows, I could end up seeing it with friends.
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

My friend bailed.

So I changed plans and went with other friends to Steak 'n Shake. :noway:

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

A few of my friends went to see it last night, and have posted some very different views on facebook.

One is a longtime comic and movie guy:
I cannot believe Man of Steel was as terrible as it was. Please don't give money to this insult of a movie. Today is a VERY sad day for the 75 years worth of children that grew up knowing what Superman is supposed to stand for.
He says more, but it involves the end of the movie, so I won't spoil it.

Another guy, however:
Go see Man of Steel, it is the definitive Superman movie, so amazing!
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

I'm going to see this today.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

And seeing as this is an AIO fan site, and AIO is a part of Focus on the Family don't forget that Plugged In has reviewed this movie here.
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

I just got back from seeing it. Great movie. I wished there was a little less action and more story though.
And superman defeated the villain just by cracking his head??
8/10

Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:I just got back from seeing it. Great movie. I wished there was a little less action and more story though.
And superman defeated the villain just by cracking his head??
I believe Superman broke Zod's neck.
I agree. I would have been perfectly fine with a little less action and a bit more steadycam.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I saw this the other day. It was my first big superhero movie.

I enjoyed it. The Christian themes came through surprisingly well. (For those who don’t know, the story of Superman is allegorical of the story of Jesus.) I was especially impressed with the scene in the church. Having Superman bear his concerns over what he should do there, in front of the window of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, was a great way to stress the parallel going on. (Jesus struggling with accepting His Father’s will and handing Himself over to the soldiers; Superman struggling with accepting the way to save humanity by handing himself over to Zod.)

I thought the destruction scenes were a bit over the top though. It wouldn’t have hurt the movie to leave two or three more buildings standing.

And I caught that the tank truck said LexCorp \:D/

I stayed all the way after the credits (which took forever!) because Top always says too, but there wasn’t anything. :x I guess that must just be for Marvel movies.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

^^Haha, yeah, just for Marvel. ;)

I saw it, and I think I liked it, but I wish it had better characterization of who Clark really is, and I dunno, I'd have rather Supes have been a little more established as a hero BEFORE Zod showed up. I thought Superman and Lois's romance was just quick and thrown together oddly... it seems it should have built more. It did however have decent action, which Superman Returns utterly failed at. \:D/ It was neat seeing the LexCorp truck but I would've liked a cameo from Lex himself. He doesn't need to be the main villain again for the billionth time but as a leading businessman and politician it seems they could've fit him in, even at the very end, pondering evilly out a window at the destruction or something.

DanP740 wrote:A few of my friends went to see it last night, and have posted some very different views on facebook.

One is a longtime comic and movie guy:
I cannot believe Man of Steel was as terrible as it was. Please don't give money to this insult of a movie. Today is a VERY sad day for the 75 years worth of children that grew up knowing what Superman is supposed to stand for.
He says more, but it involves the end of the movie, so I won't spoil it.

Another guy, however:
Go see Man of Steel, it is the definitive Superman movie, so amazing!
I disagree with both. ;)
The first guy hasn't been paying attention, because while Superman isn't typically the Punisher, he HAS killed before. He has actually killed Zod before in the comics. So... not really worth being outraged about. When Superman HAS been in a non-killing streak, instead he banishes people into parallel dimensions or has used his heat vision to lobotomize them. I think that's more inhumane than just killing them, anyway. >_> I had a bigger problem with Supes NOT saving his own father. Well, his Kevin Costner father.
As for the other comment... well, it's the best to date, but it lacks the character dynamics to really call it the definitive Superman movie. That movie is still out there in the future somewhere. ;)

Anyway I give it a 0/100000 because he didn't wear red underpants outside his suit.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:
I had a bigger problem with Supes NOT saving his own father.
Oh yeah, on that, I hated that scene.
Not actually the scene itself, but how it was done. Because I get the premise, and I actually appreciated it. It cemented why he’s so hesitant to display his abilities, because his father was so convinced it wasn’t the right time he sacrificed himself instead of letting Clark go to the car even though he knew he would have been fine.
But it could have been done a lot better if his father had saved something more important than a dog. Really? He gave his life for a dog? It could have been a little kid that was able to run to the tunnel when he got the door open. Then he still would have been blown away, but it would have been for something. With a dog being all that was at stake, I agree that it was really weird for Superman not to go save him at the end. It seems like it was all for nothing.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

...and, okay, so Clark didn't want to go flying out there and shoot lasers out of his eyes and stuff, but he could have like... pretended to be stumbling and such and make it look convincing enough to the people standing around, and still rescue his father. Or something.

But yeah I do agree it was... a good idea, just the execution...
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

I spotted the lexcorp car, tower and I also saw a Wayne Enterprises logo