Album 57: A Call to Something More

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Camilla acts as though she's a Christian in The Holy Hoopster though, when talking to Barrett before the big game. :?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Probably because she's been taught that way. Being raised in a Christian family, even if you're not a Christian, means that the lifestyle and thought processes rub off on you.

Dang it, I was hoping...but this is still good, and something I hadn't thought of. To me it sounds like an episode commenting on the "spiritual high" phenomenon, though I won't make a snap decision yet. (Still my prediction, though.)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

The Old Judge wrote:Reddo, the summary for The Pilot isn't up yet. Have they released it yet? .
There was a mix up I've released it now
An old friend of Connie’s tells her the incredible story of a mission trip to a remote village. It's a story of medical mystery, daring plane flights, and even...love
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

Post by AshleyWhittaker »

Does the "love" mentioned in The Pilot mean that her old friend loves her??? It better not... unless the old friend is Jason :D
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

AshleyWhittaker wrote:Does the "love" mentioned in The Pilot mean that her old friend loves her??? It better not... unless the old friend is Jason :D
Agreed. :D

To me it sounds like something from the past and two people the 'old friend' knew fell in love, or the 'old friend' fell in love with someone. "Old" implies the person is older to me (maybe it shouldn't but it does).....Who are the characters in this episode?
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

EvangelineWalker wrote:
AshleyWhittaker wrote:Does the "love" mentioned in The Pilot mean that her old friend loves her??? It better not... unless the old friend is Jason :D

To me it sounds like something from the past and two people the 'old friend' knew fell in love, or the 'old friend' fell in love with someone. "Old" implies the person is older to me (maybe it shouldn't but it does).....Who are the characters in this episode?
Whit Wooton Penny Connie are confirmed so far from the official site, but who knows sometimes they put characters in there that aren't really in there and they leave out most people.

as for the old friend, I thought it meant someone from years past, which means another unexpected returning character :) I really like how they include people that you least suspect like Dale Jacobs in 55
Reddo
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I thought that the love was implied in the story told by the old friend, along with the medical mystery and dogfights. Who knows? I could be wrong, (Not like that would be the first time. :-$) but that's how it's worded. Soo...we shall see.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

EvangelineWalker wrote:

It sounded like that to me too, but I always look for different meanings to things.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

What if the old friend is, dare I say... Bernard? He's an old friend, and more importantly, the official Odyssey Storyteller. What if?

Also, I really don't like this idea of the Odyssey Club. Why would I pay fifteen dollars a month for streaming when 1. I own almost every episode anyway, and 2. Within a year of paying the subscription, I could have bought 15 albums offline in hard copy, forever? (Conveniently, there are exactly fifteen albums that I do not own in hard copy.) Will we be able to buy these one episodes per month online or are they just lost in the archives to those of us unwilling to pay that much money each month? I understand it makes money for Focus on the Family, which is always great, and we really don't have all the gritty details of what this is all about, but so far, this seems like more of a Bart Rathbone-esque money scheme than a really profitable business idea.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Dallas R. wrote:What if the old friend is, dare I say... Bernard? He's an old friend, and more importantly, the official Odyssey Storyteller. What if?

Also, I really don't like this idea of the Odyssey Club. Why would I pay fifteen dollars a month for streaming when 1. I own almost every episode anyway, and 2. Within a year of paying the subscription, I could have bought 15 albums offline in hard copy, forever? (Conveniently, there are exactly fifteen albums that I do not own in hard copy.) Will we be able to buy these one episodes per month online or are they just lost in the archives to those of us unwilling to pay that much money each month? I understand it makes money for Focus on the Family, which is always great, and we really don't have all the gritty details of what this is all about, but so far, this seems like more of a Bart Rathbone-esque money scheme than a really profitable business idea.
I believe that those one episodes a month will remain club only, no radio, no CD, no download, but the $ goes to FOTF a good cause
Reddo
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

It's sounding like a fantastic season. Here are some of my thoughts.

Your servant is listening 1-2: I'm really looking forward to this one. It sounds like a great way to start the season. It's amazing that they havnt done the story of Samuel yet, but I'm excited to see it coming now. I'm wondering if the whole episode is in the IS r if there's more to it. I guess I'm curious how long they were able to make his story. On the excited scale: 8/10

No chemistry whatsoever: this sounds interesting. Connie's gonna learn from Eugene? It almost sounds like payback for her teaching him to drive. With the subject being chemistry, anything could happen. From explosions to chemical baths. The sub plot with barrett sounds like it could work well to bring across the overall thrme. Excited: 7/10

The friend formula: mistaken for good focused on jay and was a fantastic story. If the friend for,USA is anything similar it could have potential. Jay is a character that is forming well and I'm looking forward to how they use him here. Excited: 7.5/10

More than a feeling: someone commented that it sounds like Camilla becomes a Christian in one of the previous episodes in this album. That is what it sounds like. I wonder if its a recommitment or a first time thing. It could be that she picked up on her families faith but made it real for the first time in this album. As for this episode it sounds interesting to me. The overall theme of not trusting emotions is a great one to touch on. Excited: 7/10

Repent after me: this one also sounds promising. It sounds like Barrett will be faced with whether to do the right thing or not. I'm thinking there might be a subplot or at least more to it than we know. Excited: 6/10

Big trouble under the big top: This one doesnt sound all that impressive. If its better than stage fright that's a step in the right direction. So far jones and Parker mysteries haven't been that great. It might be because I'm not in the target age group, but they feel too predictable and at the same time it's almost always impossible to guess the "culprit". Excited: 2/10

Life expectancy: this one sounds really intriguing and it's the one that's been getting the most hype. I'm really anxious to find out what they're doing to Connie. I think it'll have the potential to knock the socks off many fans. I just hope it's something reasonable and not outrageous. Time will tell I spose.
Excited: 9.99999999999999999994/10

The pilot: I'm really excited about this one. The summary just sets itself up to fantastic ism. And we're all wondering who the "old friend" is. The fact tha it's a two parter should make it great. One possible idea for the old friend could be Jason, or Jack. If Jason it would be great to hear more about his mission work. And it would be cool to see that he's impacting other lady friends. Who knows maybe he found a real lady friend for a future wife.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

On The Friend Formula, one potential for this episode is the fact that Riley might become a recurring kid character. Fresh blood is always good to develop the show.

By the way, it would be superb if Jack was the old friend on The Pilot. Taking Jack off the show was, in my mind, a grievous error. Alan Young must be avenged! Up and to arms, people!
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Reddo wrote:
Dallas R. wrote:What if the old friend is, dare I say... Bernard? He's an old friend, and more importantly, the official Odyssey Storyteller. What if?

I believe that those one episodes a month will remain club only, no radio, no CD, no download, but the $ goes to FOTF a good cause
I really do understand that, and I always want to support FOTF, but $180 for one album is a bit steep. I guess if I viewed it as a tithe it isn't so bad, but think about the target age range. Are parents of kids 8-12 really going to hash out 180 dollars a year for their kids to hear AIO, a show that always has episodes up online and reasonably priced albums for purchase?

As a kid who grew up in a strong Christian family, listening to Odyssey each night, I can guarantee my parents would not have been able to afford this club. We could barely afford Clubhouse Magazine.
Last edited by Dallas R. on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

AIO Twitter said that it will release on iTunes at a later date, so I'll hold off until its released on iTunes
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

The Old Judge wrote:On The Friend Formula, one potential for this episode is the fact that Riley might become a recurring kid character. Fresh blood is always good to develop the show.

By the way, it would be superb if Jack was the old friend on The Pilot. Taking Jack off the show was, in my mind, a grievous error. Alan Young must be avenged! Up and to arms, people!
It the old friend was Jack, why would they say that he was Connie's friend?If it was him, wouldn't they say he was Whit's?
What if the old friend was Nick Grant?
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

For all you people as confused as I was, Nick Grant is the studly macho dude that plays the television character Chad Pearson in, shockingly enough, This Is Chad Pearson?

And Ashley, Connie is a friend of Jack's, is she not? I just happened to think that since she worked under him for years, not to mention the fact that he became a secondary father figure to her, they might be friends. Oh, well. Guess I was wrong again.... :D
---Jeff Fugate
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

AshleyWhittaker wrote:
The Old Judge wrote:On The Friend Formula, one potential for this episode is the fact that Riley might become a recurring kid character. Fresh blood is always good to develop the show.

It the old friend was Jack, why would they say that he was Connie's friend?If it was him, wouldn't they say he was Whit's?
What if the old friend was Nick Grant?

Not necessarily. I mean, if Connie is the focal character being told the story than it would be appropriate to say "Connie's friend" because Jack is in fact Connie's friend too.

On the flip side maybe Reddo is right, and they will bring back an older character. How weird would it be for Richard Maxwell to come back and tell a story about a transformation. HIghly unlikely that it's him, but that would be.... :shock:
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

What I meant was, that since Whit knew Jack first and was his best friend, wouldn't they call him Whit's old friend?
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Maybe because Connie will be the main character in it? Whit knows a bunch of people, so "Whit's friend" could mean anybody out of the 2 billion he knows. Saying "Connie's friend" narrows it down more.
---Jeff Fugate
AshleyWhittaker
Tallying up

Maybe it's Jeff Lewis :shock: