729: No Chemistry Whatsoever

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What is your reaction?

5 stars: All my fears about the result argon!
50%
4 stars: Pretty much positive
31%
3 stars: ⇌ Total equilibrium
19%
2 stars: A good episode? NaH
No votes
1 star: The characters should have acid thrown atom!
No votes

Total votes: 16

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
729: No Chemistry Whatsoever

Post by Peachey Keen »

I can't believe this thread hasn't been made yet. Oh, well. At least I'll have some fun coming up with some chemistry/science-y related ratings.

Anyway, discuss!

Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I love your rating system! \:D/ But I have yet to listen to the episode, so I will give my thoughts later. ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Hi guys! Just popping in to say that I was at the recording session for this episode (and others) in January, and got to be in it! I have one line: I'm the character of Alli in one of the Sunday School scenes about halfway through, who recites a verse about not being afraid. Fun fact: they let me change the name of my character, so I chose "Alli," as that's my sister's name. For those of you who don't know, my sister is Shennifer here on the ToO. :)
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

LizzieG wrote:Hi guys! Just popping in to say that I was at the recording session for this episode (and others) in January, and got to be in it! I have one line: I'm the character of Alli in one of the Sunday School scenes about halfway through, who recites a verse about not being afraid. Fun fact: they let me change the name of my character, so I chose "Alli," as that's my sister's name. For those of you who don't know, my sister is Shennifer here on the ToO. :)
THIS \:D/ She made me wait to post about this till she did but I'm hecka excited that she was in an episode and that my name was used

Till the end of the line.
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

Great episode.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Am I the only one who thought Connie and Eugene's "relationship" talk was a little... awkward?
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I loved the License to Drive reference! I kept thinking about the similarities and was thrilled to hear it mentioned!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

LOL I'm probably not gonna listen but the poll options are top notch.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:Am I the only one who thought Connie and Eugene's "relationship" talk was a little... awkward?
No, not really. It kind of reminded me of the end of "Hear Me, Hear Me", wherein many people felt that Connie and Eugene seemed to have more romantic tension than rivalrous. It's perhaps Will and Katie's excellent chemistry (ha, ha :p ) that makes it so awkward, especially as they've been working together far longer than Will and Audrey have.

Nonetheless, this was a good episode.

I liked one of the points Whit brought out when talking to his Sunday School class--we memorize Scripture not to win something or to make ourselves look spiritual, but instead because it is applicable to every situation we face. It's not like Jesus resisted the devil with a lot of pretty, philosophical, doctrinal rhetoric. :p He quoted Scripture and understood what it meant in full context, illustrating a primary reason why we as Christians ought to be memorizing verses.

I enjoyed Connie's interaction with Penny. Penny did well in this role--she wasn't insane or over-the-top and she wasn't playing the Wise Guy to Connie's Straight Man (Woman?). She made a good counterpoint for Connie as the one who, for once, has her head screwed on straight while the other has a lesson to learn. (I have to say, though, had Connie been able to explain why the hair coloring worked, chemically speaking, she would have had a pretty creative experiment project).

I enjoyed the dynamic between Barrett and Olivia. It wasn't flirty or silly or even five-minute banter volleys. It sounded like a guy and a girl who are good friends and know how to interact with each other. In fact, the only scene of any real repartee contains one line at the end by Barrett, teasingly telling Olivia that he needs to memorize some verses on patience to be able to spend a day with her. It was nice to hear, and something of a breath of fresh air from the obviously-teased Barrett/Priscilla or the banter-filled Barrett/Jay or Barrett/Emily.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I did like this episode! I liked the conflict with Eugene as professor, even though it wasn't much his fault (if any). His telling the electron joke that no one else got... xD Basically, I liked this plot in general.

I also liked the Bible-memory plot (subplot?). Nothing jumps out at me to mention, since I'll talk below about what TigerintheShadows said, but...I liked it. What was their challenge, to memorize twenty-five verses in three weeks? Or something like that? It's totally doable, guys.

Another thing, which I just thought of while typing up this post, is how they had a plot with "older" people and a plot with younger folk. Looking back now, I like how this worked with the plots together and the episode overall. This isn't to say episodes with only adults or episodes with only kids are bad, by any means, but I do nonetheless like how it worked in this episode.
LizzieG wrote:Hi guys! Just popping in to say that I was at the recording session for this episode (and others) in January, and got to be in it! I have one line: I'm the character of Alli in one of the Sunday School scenes about halfway through, who recites a verse about not being afraid. Fun fact: they let me change the name of my character, so I chose "Alli," as that's my sister's name. For those of you who don't know, my sister is Shennifer here on the ToO. :)
Shennifer wrote:THIS \:D/ She made me wait to post about this till she did but I'm hecka excited that she was in an episode and that my name was used
That's so cool! :shock: \:D/
Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:Am I the only one who thought Connie and Eugene's "relationship" talk was a little... awkward?
I kind of thought so.. I like what TigerintheShadows said about it, however.
TigerintheShadows wrote:I liked one of the points Whit brought out when talking to his Sunday School class--we memorize Scripture not to win something or to make ourselves look spiritual, but instead because it is applicable to every situation we face. It's not like Jesus resisted the devil with a lot of pretty, philosophical, doctrinal rhetoric. :p He quoted Scripture and understood what it meant in full context, illustrating a primary reason why we as Christians ought to be memorizing verses.
^This. I liked the point and how it was made. Barrett's shortcut doesn't stretch the imagination ("How did he come to that conclusion to make the job easier??); it seems logical. Yet the point made was very well illustrated when Mr. Whittaker asked questions.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

I really enjoyed this episode. I felt like it really showed how Connie and Eugene have matured and grown up over the years but deep down their personalities are still the same and despite their brotherly love for each other their personalities still clash on a deeper level.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

the beginning kind of bugged me. but connie acted how i would have a little but i wouldnt have gotten a d. i would have had her attitude..
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I was disappointed with this episode. I felt like it could have been so much better based on the premise that Eugene enexpectedly becomes Connie's professor. The Eugene/Connie storyline was good, almost great. The Barrett storyline was great. Together, they made the episode disappointing. I think they should have been two separate morals and two separate stories.

The moral of Eugene and Connie's story could have been the importance of teachability in all situations.Connie's main problem wasn't that she was not working hard (though, that certainly was one of her problems); her problem was allowing personal feelings and a bad attitude to affect her ability to learn.

Barrett's main problem was he was trying to do as little work as possible to get the desired result, thus missing the entire purpose of his work. And the lesson we learn from his story is that memorizing Scripture is not just a Sunday School task, it is important part of our spiritual lives.

Putting the two stories together was frustrating for me. But it looks like everyone else (so far) has really liked the episode, so maybe I'm over thinking it or missing something.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I have to agree with you on the point that the lessons did seem very different from each other. I understand how the hard work lesson applies to each, but I didn't take that as the main lesson from either.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I haven't heard the episode yet, but this is way cool.
jane.suh09
Lurker

Post by jane.suh09 »

Who likes Chemistry?
Well, I do!
Great to see Eugene in a teaching roll again. The last episode I remember him teaching was "The Invisible Dog" Episode 569 I think.
I was surprised that Connie didn't like Chemistry even though she passed it in high school.
Oh, and Pennie's song, well...