734: Life Expectancy, Part 1

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

5 stars
68%
4 stars
32%
3 stars
No votes
2 stars
No votes
1 star
No votes

Total votes: 19

Bren
Be positive!

734: Life Expectancy, Part 1

Post by Bren »

Here's the first part of the most anticipated episode of Album 57. I am really interested in what everyone thinks. This should make for an interesting review thread.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

This episode is so sad. I almost cried when Wooton was breaking the news to Connie. And then when Connie was talking to her dad was very interesting. Such a sad episode, but very good. 4/5 Stars
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The album version has at least 1 extra scene with Connie.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Now I really want the album.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Talking of Wooton, I loved him in this episode. He was funny and quirky, but he was being sensitive at the same time. It was quite lovely to see a more human character instead of the embodiment of insanity that we've been suffering through for the past few albums...perhaps this series will give some growth to Wooton and Penny as well as Connie.

I knew it would happen. I knew everything that was going to happen. And that didn't stop me from wanting to reach in and give Connie a hug, or from freaking out when Eugene and Connie hugged like the brother and sister that they totally are, or when Bill talked about his daughter and Eugene was all, "Um, what?" or when Whit consoled Connie in his office. Definitely excited for parts 2 and 3.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

:(

I'm really sorry for Connie. Heartache. My favorite character was Eugene, who was eagerly offering ways to help. Nicely written episode.

The ending was a little strange. It took me by surprise and I don't know if I like it... but I'm intrigued.

5/5, no complaints.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I cried.

And I didn't quite expect that.

Overall it was good, and I liked how Eugene, Wooten, Whit and even Penny stepped in to help Connie.

I'm very curious about meeting Connie's half sister; plus it's nice to hear from Bill again

Till the end of the line.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Bren wrote:The album version has at least 1 extra scene with Connie.
Looking forward to that! This episode was so good on many levels but sad at the same time. It had the right mix of sadness, "comic relief", and education (the stages of grief). From a plot standpoint, the death of a parent is a common device to show a character is "grown up" now. Since Connie was portrayed as a teenager for literally decades, June´s death was necessary for the storyline so we now see Connie "take charge". Bill Kendall is a jerk as always, I had hoped with all the speculation that it was his death that was to occur since we are not so attached to him. It would have been nice to have had a last "June Kendall" episode with the actress, maybe the last weekend Connie mentioned. I am now reminiscing over my favorite June Kendall eps.......we should have an online tribute to the character since this is the first time Odyssey has really dealt with the death of a major character. The ones that immediately come to mind are: Thank You, God; A Little Credit Please, and Where is Thy Sting.

-- 28 Sep 2013 10:59 am --
TigerintheShadows wrote:Talking of Wooton, I loved him in this episode. He was funny and quirky, but he was being sensitive at the same time. It was quite lovely to see a more human character instead of the embodiment of insanity that we've been suffering through for the past few albums...perhaps this series will give some growth to Wooton and Penny as well as Connie.

I knew it would happen. I knew everything that was going to happen. And that didn't stop me from wanting to reach in and give Connie a hug, or from freaking out when Eugene and Connie hugged like the brother and sister that they totally are, or when Bill talked about his daughter and Eugene was all, "Um, what?" or when Whit consoled Connie in his office. Definitely excited for parts 2 and 3.
I was surprised Eugene did not say, "I know all about that" or something to that effect when Bill said Connie has a half sister she knows nothing about...that would have been priceless.

I have liked Wooten more since the relaunch than ever before.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I didn't think I was going to cry. (Famous last words)

This is precious, although re-listenings are going to be interesting. I should probably make sure my lil sister doesn't listen to this while Grandma's in the hospital.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

This is the first new multi-part episode I've heard in a long time that I'm excited to hear the next part of. I loved Wooton in this episode, he was funny but he was so kind and sensitive towards Connie, it was great. Bill Kendall was his typical charming self :- and I'm really curious about Connie's half sister. 5/5 stars.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

This was a very good episode but I do have a few complaints.

1. I really, really wanted to feel sad for us losing June Kendall but it's been sooooo long since we have heard the character I felt.....nothing. Unless I'm missing something, hasn't it been YEARS since we last heard her voice? I forced myself to go back to past episodes and remember her character just so I could try to grieve with Connie but I just couldn't feel it. They should have put in a few flash back scenes between her and Connie to give a more emotional punch.

2. Connie lives with her mom but doesn't know what she does on a day to day basis? Has no idea her mom has a heart condition and takes heart medication? Ok, her mom didn't want her to know but c'mon, Connie should have stumbled on something eventually living with her every day. And it was sooo wrong for June to hide that from Connie. Idk, doesn't seem like this part of the story was very well thought out. I still give it 4 stars only because of the shock value and how much this is going to change Connie's life.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

WindowWasher wrote:This was a very good episode but I do have a few complaints.

1. I really, really wanted to feel sad for us losing June Kendall but it's been sooooo long since we have heard the character I felt.....nothing. Unless I'm missing something, hasn't it been YEARS since we last heard her voice? I forced myself to go back to past episodes and remember her character just so I could try to grieve with Connie but I just couldn't feel it. They should have put in a few flash back scenes between her and Connie to give a more emotional punch.
To me, it was still very sad. Even though I knew what was coming as soon as Wooton said she left her house on a stretcher, I was still sad for Connie, and sad about the permanent loss of a character.
WindowWasher wrote: 2. Connie lives with her mom but doesn't know what she does on a day to day basis? Has no idea her mom has a heart condition and takes heart medication? Ok, her mom didn't want her to know but c'mon, Connie should have stumbled on something eventually living with her every day. And it was sooo wrong for June to hide that from Connie. Idk, doesn't seem like this part of the story was very well thought out. I still give it 4 stars only because of the shock value and how much this is going to change Connie's life.
Connie actually lives in an apartment, not with her mom, so that is plausible. in the episode Connie says that she had seen her mom the weekend before.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
WindowWasher wrote: 2. Connie lives with her mom but doesn't know what she does on a day to day basis? Has no idea her mom has a heart condition and takes heart medication? Ok, her mom didn't want her to know but c'mon, Connie should have stumbled on something eventually living with her every day. And it was sooo wrong for June to hide that from Connie. Idk, doesn't seem like this part of the story was very well thought out. I still give it 4 stars only because of the shock value and how much this is going to change Connie's life.
Connie actually lives in an apartment, not with her mom, so that is plausible. in the episode Connie says that she had seen her mom the weekend before.
she's roommates with Penny
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

2. Connie lives with her mom but doesn't know what she does on a day to day basis? Has no idea her mom has a heart condition and takes heart medication? Ok, her mom didn't want her to know but c'mon, Connie should have stumbled on something eventually living with her every day. And it was sooo wrong for June to hide that from Connie. Idk, doesn't seem like this part of the story was very well thought out. I still give it 4 stars only because of the shock value and how much this is going to change Connie's life.
I am bad with the quote/unquote thing, so I will answer like this:

1. I have been listening to "June" episodes today for that reason. It would have been nice to have had either a "clip" show or a show with their last weekend together. I was wondering how long it has been. According to AIOwiki her last episode was Eggshells. Not sure if that is accurate or not. I am on "Connie".

2. It is possible that even when Connie was growing up they used separate bathrooms and June kept her meds either in her own bathroom or in her nightstand. I cannot honestly say I knew what meds my parents took or why when I was a teenager/college student. But, as I stated in a previous post, the death of a parent is a common plot device to make a character "grow up": I could be the writers wanted Connie to have to take charge and be a full adult for future storylines. I am looking forward to that part.

I got a notice that my hard copy is in the mail, so if it does not come this week, I might skip listening to next week´s episode so I can hear them all together.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

A few thoughts (in no particular order):

- I was surprised that June died at the very beginning of the episode- somehow I expected at least one episode in the hospital ending with her death. It definitely added to the shock value to have her die suddenly within the first 5 minutes.

- Actually, I'm glad there were no scenes with June alive in the hospital. I'm an RN, and I'm sure I would've felt the need to nitpick the medical (in)accuracies :)

- I liked the history in this episode- mentions of Connie's grandma's death and "this feels like deja vu" when Penny was trying to educate her about the stages of grief. Nice shout out to older listeners there.

- This episode showed how the characters have matured. In many ways, this episode paralleled Mitch's "death" during the Novacom saga. (And yes, I realize that the death of a parent is different than the pseudo-death of a boyfriend.) This time, we saw Connie grieving, but taking on adult responsibilities. Wooton actually offered constructive help instead of taking Connie to an amusement park.

I'm looking forward to the next 2 parts.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:A few thoughts (in no particular order):

- I was surprised that June died at the very beginning of the episode- somehow I expected at least one episode in the hospital ending with her death. It definitely added to the shock value to have her die suddenly within the first 5 minutes.

- Actually, I'm glad there were no scenes with June alive in the hospital. I'm an RN, and I'm sure I would've felt the need to nitpick the medical (in)accuracies :)

- I liked the history in this episode- mentions of Connie's grandma's death and "this feels like deja vu" when Penny was trying to educate her about the stages of grief. Nice shout out to older listeners there.

I'm looking forward to the next 2 parts.
I was surprised it was so early as well. I would not have liked any hospital scenes, but some nice flash backs or new scenes with the two interacting on their last weekend together would have been a nice send off for the actress. I did not understand the "deja vu" part at all. I actually thought Wooten was pretty great in this episode.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I agree, some flashbacks would be nice. Maybe there will be some in the next episode(s)?

I think the deja vu referred to Jared's attempt to "counsel" Connie through the stages of grief after Mitch's apparent death. See "Part B: Crossfire" in album 37.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I thought Connie´s responses to Penny´s stages of grief were pretty good. The reality is that not everyone goes through the stages in order or at the same time and you do go back and forth between "getting things done" and "emotional breakdown" mode. Fortunately, I have not lost a parent yet, but at age 48, it is going to happen at some point. I saw my mother and my aunt go through these experiences when their father died, and my father when he lost his parents. I think AIO is doing a pretty good job of portraying this so far. Parts 2 and 3 should be very interesting........praying my hard copy arrives before Saturday.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:I agree, some flashbacks would be nice. Maybe there will be some in the next episode(s)?

I think the deja vu referred to Jared's attempt to "counsel" Connie through the stages of grief after Mitch's apparent death. See "Part B: Crossfire" in album 37.
Actually it's referring to Jared's attempt to counsel Connie through her grief after her breakup with Mitch. the episode is eggshells. I LOVED THAT little reference. Only long term fans would understand.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

This season I decided to listen to the episodes one at a time, as they are aired, and the next couple weeks will be very hard to wait out.

I also would have liked to hear June in a new scene or flashbacks. However, the episode was still sad. I cried when Connie heard the news, not because I'll miss June, but because Connie lost her mother. Eh, if that makes sense. A few months ago, a woman I work with lost her daughter. I went to the funeral, and although I had never met the daughter, I felt a deep sadness for the mother who had lost her daughter. There's a different kind of sadness over a friend's loss. I think any new listener, who has only started listening since the last hiatus, can identify with Connie's sorrow, simply because they've come to know Connie.

In addition, I liked Penny & Connie's conversation about the stages of grief. As someone has already mentioned, the stages don't occur in order or have any set time limit and a grieving person might not go through all stages (for instance Connie may never have a 'bargaining' stage). And I love that Connie could talk about hope even in the midst of deep grief. It didn't sound trite, like an author just trying to throw in a sermon. It was an honest expression of her faith.

I'm looking forward to the next two parts.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth