I Love You

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

I Love You

Post by Bren »

We hear that phrase from parents or from those we are in a relationship with. What do you think of saying that to an online friend. For the girls, is it akward if a guy says it? With older people I could see where it might be an issue but I'm curious what you guys think.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

However awkward saying "I love you" may be, we can always fix it by tacking "as a brother/sister in Christ" onto the end. \:D/

But yeah, unless it's within a pretty specific context or something, I would personally find it rather awkward. :- Someone who's less reserved than me could consider it totally normal, though, so it might just boil down to a personal thing.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I think it's really awkward if it's a guy/girl thing, I can't speak for all girls, but I don't want some guy that I met online telling me he loves me. Just no.
Sapphire Dragon
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by Sapphire Dragon »

I love all my friends online..Though to have a guy say " I love you " might draw the wrong conclusions.. I say I love you to my girl friends, Not to the guys though. I understand if I have known them for like ever, Then personally I don't mind. Still.. It might be a bit awkward. So I rather not have them say " I love you ". ^-^
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

One of my female friends always says "I love you" when we say goodbye. She knows I care about her, but I always say something less romantic in return. To me, "I love you" is reserved for a committed relationship (marriage, engagement or AT LEAST serious dating/courtship). I don't really have any reason to think this; I just have weird standards. ;)

Even if you don't mean anything romantic, Bren, the other person is probably going to be confused and/or weirded out.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I say "I love you" to my online female friends. I don't think I have have ever said it to an online male friend, but I have said it to male friends I know personally. I think one must be careful when it comes to online communication. When you say "I love you" in person, your friend can read your facial expression and your body language to know exactly what you mean by that. Online that sentence could easily be misinterpreted. So, just be careful who you say it to. It doesn't matter if he/she is an online friend or a personal friend; Make sure you know that person well, and that person knows you well and knows where your relationship/friendship stands.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
UNCLEBITTLES
I AM A BEAST!
I AM A BEAST!

Post by UNCLEBITTLES »

I say I love you to a lot of my guy friends. No homo.
Wow
so doge
much voting
such election
wow.
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

UNCLEBITTLES wrote:I say I love you to a lot of my guy friends. No homo.
That's what I do sometimes
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm more inclined to tell a friend I love them than a girl I'm in a relationship with. >_>
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I would tell my girlfriend that I love her

IF I HAD ONE.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

It ain't worth it son. They all end up being crazy after a while.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I LOVE YOU ALL.

:inlove:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I say 'I love you' to my dog and he always looks weirded out. :noway:
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

I had a situation where a girl was all over me with "I love you"s and....other things. o_O I was kinda weirded out, and it went on for months. But then she went to college and got together with someone a week later. -_- It was kinda pathetic. But at the same time I'm like "PHEW...!" XD I think it's safe to say that she didn't really mean those "I love you"s. I think she was all over me simply because she liked rock...And I looked like a rocker...I guess. -_-
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

This is why we don't listen to rock music in my household. :noway:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I think that many people use the term both very sincerely and very frivolously, depending on the situation. Speaking from personal experience, I know that a lot of times girls will tell each other how much they love each other as a sort of "do unto others" strategy towards boosting one's self-esteem; if you wish for friends who are loving and accepting, then you're going to do everything you can to be that kind of friend to other people. It's kind of the same mentality behind selfie comments: because I want someone to tell me I'm beautiful, I'm going to comment on other girls' pictures. I guess it's because we're subconsciously trying to set a trend, like if we're super gushy and esteem-building towards others, they'll feel obligated to return the favor. The super-shallow "I love you"s in romantic relationships are basically an extension of this phenomenon, at least on the girl's part. On the other hand, the same kind of person who insecurely tells everyone how much they love them (e.g., my younger self) can also use the words quite sincerely in different situations. After all, I don't tell my parents that I love them every day because I'm insecure about their affections, I do it because, well, I love them. It's not the same, compulsive, if-I-do-this-they'll-do-it-back mentality that a lot of people have with friendships and dating relationships, it's based on trust and affection.

Coming back to the original question of whether or not it's awkward if a guy tells you they love you. Well, generally speaking, yeah. I mean, some guys seem to do the same platonic self-validation that I just described, but with most guys they don't usually just throw those words around unless they're in a romantic relationship (That is, unless all you guys secretly go around bromancing each other and I was just never informed. :anxious: ), and unless the relationship has progressed to the point where it's the same, secure love that I just described, then yes, them saying such a thing would be very awkward indeed. It's cool if your fiance tells you how much they love you; not so much if it's your one guy friend who kind of has a crush on you that you're pretending that you're oblivious to.
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Amethystic wrote:not so much if it's your one guy friend who kind of has a crush on you that you're pretending that you're oblivious to.
May I just say that this is one of the best statements I have ever seen on the internet; you basically summed up the way I live my life around any guy that I suspect of having underlying affection for me. \:D/ (Overall I have been spared this situation, but there have been a few times when I have played dumb to the best of my ability.)

Anyway, on the topic at hand, I do often use variants of the words "I love you" in reference to my friends (although I only use that phrase online here on the ToO) and coworkers, but I always do it in humorous context. Therefore, I'm not bothered when people use a variant of that phrase in reference to me, provided that I know them and that the context is clear.
Last edited by Aeva on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Aeva wrote:
Amethystic wrote:not so much if it's your one guy friend who kind of has a crush on you that you're pretending that you're oblivious to.
May I just say that this is one of the best statements I have ever seen on the internet; you basically summed up the way I live my life around any guy that I suspect of having underlying affection for me. \:D/ (Overall I have been spared this situation, but there have been a few times when I have played dumb to the best of my ability.)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. :anxious: