What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Marvin D. wrote:^please, if you possibly can, stop and write it in the third person :anxious: I considered doing a book in four different 1st person POVs. One is more than enough. It's just next to impossible to pull off perfectly.

Why won't you say anymore? O:) I'm actually reading another Austen work.
Megamorphs did it.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

I'm reading Black Spring by Alison Croggon. It is inspired by Wuthering Height (which I haven't read yet). I love Croggon's series The Books of Pellinor, so I was excited to get her newest book.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm making my way through Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and The Fault in Our Stars.

I've read both of them before, but they're both really good.

Till the end of the line.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I finally finished Allegiant by Veronica Roth (pretty good) and am now ready for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I'm also still suffering through Emma by Jane Austen. I'm unsure of whether to hit my head with something hard to forget all knowledge of the book or to laugh uproariously at every word written. :anxious:
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Astronomer wrote: I'm also still suffering through Emma by Jane Austen. I'm unsure of whether to hit my head with something hard to forget all knowledge of the book or to laugh uproariously at every word written. :anxious:
Do you like other Jane Austin novels? I don't care for her writings. Pride and Prejudice was okay, but the others :noway:

I recently finished Hate List by Jennifer Brown, very good book. I don't know why I waited so long to read it.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'm still working my way through Pride and Prejudice. Is Emma bad? :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

WHAAALLE, I wanted to read The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I haven't gotten around to it. It's actually right next to me right now. I should read it soon. BUT AM I GOING TO?

We shall see..
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Shennifer wrote:The Fault in Our Stars.
I drowned in my tears. John Green wants to destroy the world :x
*insert provocative quote here*
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Pretzel wrote:WHAAALLE, I wanted to read The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I haven't gotten around to it. It's actually right next to me right now. I should read it soon. BUT AM I GOING TO?

We shall see..
That is a really good book. I read it for school and highly enjoyed it. Don't watch the movie though.
~IrishTiger

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Shennifer wrote:The Fault in Our Stars.
I drowned in my tears. John Green wants to destroy the world :x
I feel ya.
I also want to say that although I like the book, I found it depressing. Yes, I know it's realistic and it's about dying, but the fact that the characters seem to have almost no hope to hold onto, and don't know God, I feel really down when I read it. I don't know if I even want to finish it again.

but I do appreciate it for what it is.

Till the end of the line.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

A Quilt for Jenna by Patrick E. Craig. It is the first book in his Apple Creek Dreams series/trilogy. It is very, very good so far.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Pretzel wrote:WHAAALLE, I wanted to read The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I haven't gotten around to it. It's actually right next to me right now. I should read it soon. BUT AM I GOING TO?

We shall see..
DO IT. That's one of my favorite books ever. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I just finished A Christmas Carol. I'm STILL on Pride and Prejudice.

And now I'm going to read Romeo and Juliet, the SparkNotes' No Fear edition.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Quilt for Jenna, excellent, excellent book. Up next for me is The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:Up next for me is The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen.
My copy is in the mail right now! \:D/ I'm really looking forward to reading it, since I really enjoy Julie Klassen's books.

I'm currently reading "A Suitor for Jenny" by Margaret Brownley. It's good so far, though not great. It makes perfectly good "watching hockey and reading on Saturday night" reading material. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

At last, I'm done with Pride and Prejudice. Now it's Anatomy of Story by John Truby and Romeo and Juliet by good old Billy.

radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Finished What in the World is God Doing by C. Gordon Olson. I can easily see why this is a standard text for basic missions classes. I highly recommend it.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Catspaw wrote:
Laurie wrote:Up next for me is The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen.
My copy is in the mail right now! \:D/ I'm really looking forward to reading it, since I really enjoy Julie Klassen's books.
I'm waiting for my ordered copy to arrive at the library and I'm looking forward to some more "fluffy" reading compared to my required school reading.
Reading Devil in the White City for my English class and anticipating a copy of I am Malala to arrive at the library as well. My camp roommate texted me at 1 AM to tell me to read it soo

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Ooh, I Am Malala. I was just thinking about that book today; I really want to check it out. From what I've heard, I recommend you read it.

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen yesterday. It was excellent. I am starting The Road Home by Patrick E. Craig. This is the second book in his Apple Creek Dreams trilogy.