ToO Annual Fantasy Football - Year 4!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

I just need to get 53 points between Marshawn Lynch and Peyton Manning to win
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

EK is going to win haha. \:D/ According to his transaction log, he hasn't adjusted his lineup in 11 weeks.

I guess a broken clock is right twice a day.

(Obviously.)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
John Chrysostom

Hmm, if Peyton gets 30 points tomorrow night I can win. That's a possibility.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Hopefully not
I am confused
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

John Chrysostom wrote:Hmm, if Peyton gets 30 points tomorrow night I can win. That's a possibility.
Yup, because he's going to be throwing lots of TDs to Thomas! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
John Chrysostom

I'll gladly give those point to you :P
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Congrats to bookworm and E II on making it to the championship. We will have four winners in four years.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 16:
Player Moves:

Benched Stewart for Ingram
Dropped Gordon
Dropped Vikings D/ST
Dropped Blount
Added Packers D/ST
Added Julian Edelman (NE) WR
Benched Seahawks D/ST for Packers D/ST

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 14
Mark Ingram - 10
C.J. Anderson - 19
Odell Beckham Jr. - 26
Jordy Nelson - 17
Antonio Brown - 13
Rob Gronkowski - 9
Packers D/ST - 16
Cody Parkey - 4
Total: 128

Laura:
Drew Brees - 10
Alfred Morris - 14
Joique Bell - 14
Isaiah Crowell - 5
Demaryius Thomas - 11
Anquan Boldin - 6
Jimmy Graham - 9
Patriots D/ST - 5
Stephen Gostkowski - 5
Total: 79
-- 23 Dec 2014 12:52 pm --

I’m in the Final!!! :thud:
Regular Season:
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 68-84
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 126-75
Week 3 - at American Eagles (AE) 80-63
Week 4 - at Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 127-83
Week 5 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 52-80
Week 6 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 115-91
Week 7 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 49-98
Week 8 - at Seattle King's (gia) 126-99
Week 9 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 80-115
Week 10 - vs American Eagles (AE) 124-120
Week 11 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 99-102
Week 12 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-137
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 66-120
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 135-32
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 56-103

Playoffs (#1 seed of 8):
Winner's Bracket - vs #4 Winoka Warriors (Laura) 79-128
Winner's Bracket Championship - vs #3 Bench Coolers (Eugene)
For such a momentous week I don’t have much to say about it. The guys just showed up like they were supposed to. Huge week for the Packers D who I put in on a hunch, and another monster game from Beckham. The only disappointment was from Parkey who hardly ever stumbles, but his shortcoming was more than made up for by the other positions.

And so this is it - I’m in the League Final! It really hasn’t sunk in yet; even when I began realizing this season was something special I never thought I’d find myself in this position.

History is being put to the test right here: #1 bookworm vs #3 Eugene for the Championship.
Check out this little factoid:
Our #1 seed has never gone all the way to win the championship. That’s interesting.
But, our champion has been then #3 seed every year. That’s bizarre.

Whichever way this goes I will be genuinely happy. Eugene, you deserved to win last year, I’m thrilled you have another chance and if you take it I will honestly celebrate just as much as if I do. Good luck! :D
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I'm honestly not expecting to win, bookworm you have so dominant all year.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Whatever happens, we’re bringing the trophy back to the East! \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Do we have an upset happening?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It wouldn't be an upset, the margin was only four or five points.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Nope. It was looking good but 154 is too much.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 17:
Player Moves:

Dropped Ravens D/ST
Dropped Stills
Benched Packers D/ST for Seahawks D/ST
Added Eli Manning (NYG) QB
Added Greg Jennings (MIN) WR
Added Doug Baldwin (SEA) WR
Dropped Edelman for Charles Clay (MIA) TE
Dropped LaFell for Zach Ertz (PHI) TE
Benched Gronkowski for Clay

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 24
Mark Ingram - 11
C.J. Anderson - 28
Odell Beckham Jr. - 24
Jordy Nelson - 8
Antonio Brown - 24
Charles Clay - 10
Seahawks D/ST - 20
Cody Parkey - 10
Total: 159

Eugene:
Tony Romo - 17
Jamal Charles - 5
Matt Forte - 7
DeMarco Murray - 18
Julio Jones - 5
Randall Cobb - 18
Travis Kelce - 14
Dolphins D/ST - -5
Dan Bailey - 14
Total: 93
-- 29 Dec 2014 11:37 am --

I WON!!! Image Image Image \:D/ :thud:
Regular Season:
Week 1 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 68-84
Week 2 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene) 126-75
Week 3 - at American Eagles (AE) 80-63
Week 4 - at Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 127-83
Week 5 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura) 52-80
Week 6 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 115-91
Week 7 - vs Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 49-98
Week 8 - at Seattle King's (gia) 126-99
Week 9 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 80-115
Week 10 - vs American Eagles (AE) 124-120
Week 11 - vs Constantinople Chrysostoms (JC) 99-102
Week 12 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura) 97-137
Week 13 - vs Texas Staleys (KF) 66-120
Week 14 - at Gainesville Behemoths (EK) 135-32
Week 15 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 56-103

Playoffs (#1 seed of 8):
Winner's Bracket - vs #4 Winoka Warriors (Laura) 79-128
Winner's Bracket Championship - vs #3 Bench Coolers (Eugene) 93-159
This is so surreal; I honestly never expected this going in. The goal was for this to be my best season yet, coming in with an increased understanding of the game, but going all the way to the final wasn’t on the radar, much less winning it! I was simply looking to have a solid year and hopefully make the playoff for the first time. This was going to be a steppingstone season, build up some experience and momentum for making a real run next year I thought. So I can’t even say this is a dream come true, because I never dreamed of this!

This has been such a special year, I’ll be going over the various aspects in detail in my season review, so right now I’ll just say it is extremely gratifying to culminate what already was an amazing experience with this even more amazing experience.

I believed this would be a tougher, closer matchup than anyone else thought it would be even when all my positions were at full strength, but then I got news that Gronk, my vital security blanket, wasn’t going to even suit up because his game was meaningless. I had been afraid of this.

This is the major flaw in fantasy football. The top teams in the League got to the top because they formed a dominant lineup. But that lineup tends to suddenly fall apart in the final because the most important week in fantasy football is the least important in real football. Teams have playoff positions locked up, their last games are meaningless, so the good players either get pulled early or don’t even go at all.
I think because of this there is actually something substantial behind the ‘#1 seed curse’ our League has. (Or had! \:D/ )
If you’re the #1 team that likely means your lineup has several of the top players which likely means they’re on the top teams which likely means they’ll have their playoff spots locked up which likely means they have meaningless final games which likely means they’ll be limited in those games if they even play which likely means the big players that took you to #1 will suddenly disappear when you need them most which likely means a team that had previously been dominant and perhaps even virtually unbeatable will now have an entirely different dynamic in the final week.
The regular season performance truly cannot be a direct indicator of playoff strength; if they lose key players then it’s like two entirely different teams.

So anyway, I had to find a replacement TE at the last minute. Fortunately I was able to get one who had a favorable matchup so in the end the performance compensated nicely and it all worked out, but that could have been a major problem.

I genuinely thought Eugene had this early on. I not only thought it, I was sure he did. I could not see myself overcoming the situation he had going for his team. Everything was playing out his way.
The Cowboys have been absolutely on fire, this week was no exception, and he had all their bases covered. Literally, he won on any score; he had the air, ground, and kicker. And for reasons absolutely inexplicable, though they were also playing in a meaningless game they were not sat, not benched, not even limited. Every one of them played the whole game, and not at a relaxed pace or even just at a normal pace, they played with insane intensity. It was ridiculous; they did an onside kick for crying out loud just to give Murray and Romo more plays long after they both should have been benched for the day! It was just incomprehensible.

After seeing that I didn’t see how I had a chance; and the projections agreed, for a good stretch of the day Eugene was predicted to take victory by a solid double digit margin. But just as impressively as his stars showed up to begin the day mine showed up to end it. They racked up great performance after great performance, just an amazing showing across the board.
Rodgers outdoing his projection as I was sure he would, Nelson slightly less productive than I would have liked but very decent, Ingram the solid day he needed, Parkey yet another great showing, and Clay really coming through for me as the last minute sub for Gronk getting exactly what he was projected which was exactly what I had hoped for. So the baseline held strong, turning in scores right at what was expected. Then came the exceeded expectations. More of the monster games from Anderson, Beckham, and Brown that they have become known for, and an absolutely insane score from the Defense that was the nail in the coffin. It all combined to finally surge past the close game it really looked like it was going to be early on and put up what did turn out to be, when all was said and done, the commanding rout people seemed to expect.
It is fitting that I recorded my highest score of the season in the Championship game, capping off the string of dominant performances with an exclamation point.

So it was quite an impressive end result, but getting there had some serious drama! Rodgers was actually carted off the field late in the second quarter after aggravating the hamstring injury that had made his starting questionable going into this game. When that happened I almost had a heart attack because it was at the point where I was just beginning to tip the scales back my way, if I lost him now I was surely doomed. Even if he kept playing I wasn’t yet sure I could pull back ahead, there was no way I saw myself winning without him. Thank goodness after assessment during halftime he was able to return for the rest of the game!
In the end though, looking over how everything settled, I’m not sure exactly how to do the math on this so I’m not certain, but I think I would have actually still managed to win even had he not been able to return, due to the huge numbers put up elsewhere. It would have been a lot more intense though!

My most sincere congratulations to Eugene for a great competition. I meant what I said before, if you had won I truly would have been just as happy as I am now. I’m very proud of how well you’ve done; back to back championship appearances is no small feat! I wish you the best for another great performance next season! You will win your own championship one day, I have no doubt. :D

Congratulations and thanks as well to everyone else in the League, you’re all great! Each year this is more fun as we continue to build our dynamic. I hope you all had as great a time as I did this season and look forward as much as I do to the next!
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I have have played fantasy leagues since 2010 and after my first one I have made a final every year and lost :P so I have 1 win of a championship. Just not here.
I am confused
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Congrats on your win, bookworm! \:D/

The 3 other match-ups sure were close - 3, 2, and 1 points. Wow.

If only I had started Eric Decker instead of Hopkins...I was really waffling on that one since Hopkins had had some injuries. *sigh* And what was with Brees throwing 3 interceptions?!?!?!? :insane: Boooooooo.

Oh well, someone has to be in 4th place. ;)

Who wants to do the play-off fantasy game this year?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Who wants to do the play-off fantasy game this year?
I do for sure, but we should check if the one we originally did is back, I thought I saw a link for it somewhere. That one was better.
If not though, definitely the one you found last year. We have to do something. :)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Not last. \:D/ Finally separating myself from the Bears. >_>

Congrats on the win bookworm. History has been made with the non-three seed winning.

I'm down with doing the playoff game.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I think we've done the ESPN Gridiron Playoff Challenge one the last couple of years....is this the one you like, bookworm?

ESPN Gridiron Playoff Challenge Group: The ToO Strikes Back: http://games.espn.go.com/nfl-gridiron-p ... gridironpc
Password: Odyssey

I went ahead and created a group, but I didn't look very far to see if there was another Playoff thing.
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I think we've done the ESPN Gridiron Playoff Challenge one the last couple of years....is this the one you like, bookworm?
No idea \:D/ That sounds right. I'll join tomorrow and make sure, thanks. :)