Super Bowl XLIX

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

The last part of the game was intense. I hate football but I had to watch to end to see what happened. :-
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Anemone wrote:I hate football but I had to watch to end to see what happened. :-
Yeah, basketball is so much more fun to watch. *nods*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What is interesting about The Call as I’m sure it will go down, or something like that, is that in all the insanity of the end of the game we forget that the first half ended the same way! Remember when they decided to try throwing the literal last second touchdown instead of taking the safe field goal? Back then it was gutsy; here it’s stupid and unequivocally the wrong decision. Is it just because of the cliché that ‘If they get it then it was genius, if they miss what were they thinking’? No, this time it isn’t.
If they had made that throw at the end and gotten the touchdown the play call still would have been the wrong decision, they just would have gotten away with it. The reason the first half call was okay was because they were getting the ball back to start the second half. Because the idea is to get two scores to get the lead, it would have been safer to take the sure points here and tie it then try to go up on the next drive with the touchdown, but doing it the other way around was within the realm of understanding. Sometimes in the big game you have to be crazy. (Onside kick to start the second half anyone?) But at the end they needed the touchdown no matter what, whatever happened on this or any subsequent plays that was what they were going for every time until the clock ran out. There is no reason to be throwing it here, it should have been a run every time until they broke through. There is just no upside to thinking anything else, that’s all there is to it. It was the wrong call, it’s terrible that it cost them the game.

In the brief interview after the game a dejected Carroll said something like ‘We did everything we needed to win’, expressing how sick he was they couldn’t close a sure victory. My thought hearing that was ‘Well now you know how the Packers feel; to have a game in your hands, an earned victory dead to rights, inexplicably grabbed away.’
It makes me kind of upset though - what was the point in the Seahawks having that miracle comeback in the championship to get them here just to have another miracle comeback that they chose to throw away (literally)? If they weren’t going to seal the deal with a Super Bowl win the Packers should have won the championship and we know from the regular season they would have walked all over the Patriots. >_>