New Default Board Style [Yes? No?]

Opinions and input are encouraged!

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Do you think we should create a new default board style?

Yes. [Explain your reason(s) below]
83%
No. [Explain your reason(s) below]
17%

Total votes: 24

SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

@Eugene Sounds like a good idea! How much money is required to start a faction again? I don't quite remember.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

We could just rent bookworm's faction, or use the Eco/Tech Committee which isn't active and is sort of for things like this.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah.. it might be better to possibly use a dead faction.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Just applied to join the Eco/Tech Committee since we may end up using it.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Belle wrote:and I think the "classic style" could perhaps be kept as an option for those who don't want it to leave?
Yes. As stated before, the original/current default will still be available for use. :yes:
Eugene wrote:in my opinion, the orange and purple is awesome. :-
Yeah... purple and orange are cool. But the orange on the style looks more yellow to me. :-
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Moontide wrote:We could just rent bookworm's faction, or use the Eco/Tech Committee which isn't active and is sort of for things like this.
Or you could just make a new faction... :p I've made groups for various events I ran as an admin in the past. It's really quite simple...
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Henry Mills wrote:
Moontide wrote:We could just rent bookworm's faction, or use the Eco/Tech Committee which isn't active and is sort of for things like this.
Or you could just make a new faction... :p I've made groups for various events I ran as an admin in the past. It's really quite simple...
Yes, but we have sooo many factions already.. and most are dead. I think it might be better to just use a pre-existing one, and the Eco/Tech Committee sounds like it fits. *shrugs*
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

How do you join a faction?
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

It's not hard, just a little hidden. :yes:

Go to the User Control Panel, then select usergroups. On that page you can search for the Eco/Tech Committee. Select it, then click 'Join' at the bottom of the page. Hope that helps! :)

And I agree that we should just use the Eco/Tech group. It falls within that group's scope anyway, like snubs said. :-

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

What is the point of factions?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

LIGHTNING wrote:What is the point of factions?
What are usergroups?
Usergroups are groups of users that divide the community into manageable sections board administrators can work with. Each user can belong to several groups and each group can be assigned individual permissions. This provides an easy way for administrators to change permissions for many users at once, such as changing moderator permissions or granting users access to a private forum.
Factions/usergroups are great when you have a topic of interest that requires more than one thread. This way, all threads related to that topic can be grouped in one place. It's also nice because some users simply want their own private group, like the Randoms HQ and Wonderworld(which is for members 15 and under). :yes: I hope that answers your question. =]
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

Thanks! I will now try to decide which faction to join. Are any of them active? (Sorry for the off-topicness)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sameria_ZX wrote:Thanks! I will now try to decide which faction to join. Are any of them active? (Sorry for the off-topicness)
A lot of them aren't all that active.. some are actually pretty dead. heh. BUT MAYBE YOU COULD REVIVE ONE if you're really that interested. I would just join what you are interested in and see if it's active or not.. or if you want to try giving it some life (if it is a dead faction). Because you could always unsubscribe if it is too boring for you. =p
I know the Randoms HQ is fairly active... but they are also crazy. :boohoo: Oh, and Inventors Corner has some activity as well.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:
Bren wrote:If you bring the default to the current phpbb version you have to do all of the styles since they are created differently and the 2 won't be compatible
Yes, Bren, that is very true. And it's something that should to be done regardless of a new default. :yes:
So you won't be keeping the old style after all then?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:
Bren wrote:If you bring the default to the current phpbb version you have to do all of the styles since they are created differently and the 2 won't be compatible
Yes, Bren, that is very true. And it's something that should to be done regardless of a new default. :yes:
So you won't be keeping the old style after all then?
We will. But we'll have to update it to the new phpBB version. Eugene said there will have to be a few adjustments, but it will still look like the original style.
Eugene wrote:Of course keeping this style around as a user option would be fantastic too (and completely possible, with some tweaking).
Eugene via facbook wrote:It may require a few tweaks in the code to work with the new version of phpBB, but it would look the same.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh yes, excuse me. I was thinking back to the upgrade from phpBB2 to phpBB3 which was a complete overhaul. The styles were not compatible because of changes to the template system, so they needed recreated. Just updating the verion here wouldn't require starting over from scratch, theoretically the existing files could simply be tweaked in accordance with the new version. The design wouldn't need changed.

But this has still become an entirely different conversation. If we're looking to make a new site style, great. We change some designs and throw it up. But updating the phpBB is something else; it affects the actual function of the website itself. The styles just determine how the site looks. I don't know the specifics of what version we're at and would be going to, but is it not true that if we mess with the phpBB the site itself undergoes significant changes? I was under the impression the reason it hasn't been done is the mods (money, shops, inventory) will at best reset and at worst stop functioning completely with the new version?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:But this has still become an entirely different conversation. If we're looking to make a new site style, great. We change some designs and throw it up. But updating the phpBB is something else; it affects the actual function of the website itself. The styles just determine how the site looks. I don't know the specifics of what version we're at and would be going to, but is it not true that if we mess with the phpBB the site itself undergoes significant changes? I was under the impression the reason it hasn't been done is the mods (money, shops, inventory) will at best reset and at worst stop functioning completely with the new version?
Eugene will have to answer your question on this, since I'm not familiar with that area.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

If we go to 3.1 the mods are done away with and replaced with extensions.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just want to check with everyone saying they want a new header: You are aware this header isn't just a banner image, it is the site navigation menu, correct? The different sections of the site are cleverly integrated into links in the header. If we change it to just be a site banner, we need to introduce twelve new hyperlinks somewhere else on the page.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:I just want to check with everyone saying they want a new header: You are aware this header isn't just a banner image, it is the site navigation menu, correct? The different sections of the site are cleverly integrated into links in the header. If we change it to just be a site banner, we need to introduce twelve new hyperlinks somewhere else on the page.
I am aware of that. So we either need to make the header like the current one (with integrated links) or put the hyperlinks elsewhere.. or maybe a little of both. That will be discussed and determined in the whole designing process.