2015 Spelling Bee: Co-Champions... Again

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

2015 Spelling Bee: Co-Champions... Again

Post by Knight Fisher »

It's that time of year again. \:D/ We're down to the final 50 semi-finalists after a rather lackluster selection of words in the preliminaries. The big names this year in what's turning out to be the end of a fantastic era are Vanya, the only 5 time speller in the bee and all around celebrity for the past decade, and Gokul who finished 3rd in this past year's historic tie. Semi's are tomorrow at 10A and the Finals are at 8PM.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

There are also two younger brothers of past champions in the semi's this year: Jairam Hathwar, younger brother of 2014 co-champion Sriram, and Srinath Mahankali, younger brother of 2013 champion Arvind. There could be a first-ever Spelling Bee dynasty family this year.

Personally, I'm pulling for Vanya for a variety of reasons, but regardless, it's going to be an exciting bee \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's apparently finishing today? Shame on whoever usually posts about it for not doing it this year; that's the only way I know about it, I would have missed it. Fortunately I'm in a waiting room and they have it on so I realized.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Merged the two topics ;)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh well no wonder; it's in the wrong forum. :x
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Co-champs again! I was thrilled when Vanya went all the way \:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It's the end of an era. Those two are the last of the group that has been incredibly strong for the past 5 years. And debatably the strongest two ever with neither getting a word wrong unlike last year.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So it hadn’t happened for over 50 years, and now it’s happened back to back? What’s with that?