Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:08 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
I give my XP to Woody for hanging in there against all the cats.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:08 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5105
Age: 101

Cash: 2,133.64
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give my XP to Tikvah for getting us into the pipe.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
An Ember Patrolman is never off duty. I was attempting to enjoy a quiet evening before escorting a caravan in the morning, but was interrupted by a fight that broke out between some drunken mages. As one prepared to throw a fireball at another I stepped in.

I wanted to attempt to just talk him down from the outset, but worried if he didn't comply he would get the shot off so decided I needed to intervene first. I thought if I could apply a chaos effect to the instigator it would take him by surprise and get his attention, so I cast the spell, but as chaos effects are of course random I failed to conjure one that captivated him and instead just angered him. It did succeed in turning his attention from his attack though, so I now tried to calm him. He was too drunk however and decided to jump through the window.

I followed, annoyed, and found him sitting atop a hay cart. I instantly saw where this was going. Fire and hay are not a good combination. I tried to knock him out of the cart but he just fell into it, and sure enough started the whole thing ablaze. This threw the horses into a panic and they began charging forward. I cast a force wall before them, slowing them enough to climb up, and engaged in a stalemate with the mage which went on for so long it would have been comical had it not been so frustrating. He would launch a fireball at me, which I would dodge as drunks have poor aim, and I would attempt to push him out of the cart, but would miss as we bumped along, and back and forth it would go. Finally the exchange was broken, not by either of us, but by the cart itself breaking down. As we tossed around a new idea came to me, and I cast a force wall inside the cart. Because it was suspended in space it swept the cart clean as it continued forward.

I was able to dismount in stride, while the mage was knocked down allowing me to finally detain him. I noticed his robes had been protecting him from the fire, a neat trick, and on a lark offered to try playing down the incident if he gave them to me. To my surprise and pleasure he accepted the deal! As no major damage was done I was able to convince everyone to let the incident pass as poor judgment. I don't know if his acquiescence was actually out of desire to avoid further punishment or simply from drunken disorientation, but either way I trust it will teach him a lesson. You never know what disorderly conduct may cost you.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:46 pm 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I give my XP to Woody for taking the brunt of the cat fight.

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
We set out on the anticipated race against the Dragon Cult to recover the egg. Our mole was supposed to lead them the wrong way, giving us time to search the rumored location without fear of running into them unprepared. We found the building to be sealed and had to enter through a pipe in the roof. Inside we ran into a den of animals; a large mother cat and four kittens. We couldn't just pass through, it took us to be threatening the young, so we had to fight it. I felt bad attacking an innocent creature that was just protecting its home, but there seemed to be no alternative.

As we were deciding our next move nature chose for us and the large cat jumped up and caught onto the edge of the pipe pulling us downward. We moved to attack, sending the creature falling back down, but when it released the pipe it sprang back up, breaking the supports and sending the entire apparatus crashing down. The impact of the great fall not only knocked the wind out of me, but the confidence as well. I'm often pessimistic about our odds, usually knowingly exaggeratedly so, but this time was different. It wasn't just gloom, I honestly thought I was finished. I was already gravely wounded, and we hadn't even been in battle yet! This was a powerful beast, if it proceeded to attack me I clearly had not long to live. But in a remarkable turn, once we engaged it never set its attention to me at all. This gift of fate alone allowed me to survive the ordeal. Instead of focusing on a target and taking it down, which would have surely been successful, the cats alternated between striking at Levi and Olwen spreading the damage around so that while significant it was not lethal. After several tense exchanges the ordeal was finally ended, two cats dead, two retreated, and one captured by Levi in hopes of taming.

The encounter put a new, and unsettling, view on our party's status. My personal constitution in particular. I had been quite confident in my stamina going into this mission. I thought I had trained and studied enough to be rather durable, but clearly it was not enough. If a mere fall showed me to still be this fragile, I shudder to think how a battle with a tactical enemy would unfold. We still have our entire objective before us, this was but an unanticipated delay. Who knows what encounters yet await us. Should the Cultists arrive unexpectedly they would greatly outnumber us and likely outpower us. What I originally thought to be a stealthy extraction was beginning to cause growing concern. If I manage to survive this mission I must continue to strengthen my defenses. I cannot be fully effective in combat if I am afraid of being hit. I must reach a position where I can take some attacks without my health dangerously depleting. As I said I thought I was there, but apparently there is still more improvement to be had.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5105
Age: 101

Cash: 2,133.64
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
An excerpt from the journal of Leviticus Rutter:

It's hard to believe that after all this time, we are finally going after the dragon egg! I've been waiting for this mission for months. I have a personal interest, as I have high hopes of training the dragon to be one of my animal allies. Little did I know I would encounter another possible ally early on in the mission.

We were instructed to go to an iron forge in an abandoned underground city. We found that the only way inside the forge would be to climb up to a hole in the wall, made by an old pipe. Olwen made short work of this, and we were soon crawling through the pipe. We found it was littered with bones and rotten flesh, indicating that some kind of predator lurked inside. We soon found the creature, a gigantic cat, complete with four kittens, living inside the It was rather furious at being disturbed, and brought our pipe crashing to the ground. Gareth took the fall hardest, and adopted his typical pessimism. Luckily, our crash had scared off two of the kittens, leaving us with only three to fight.

Seeing that there was no way out, and the cats were very upset, it was clear we had no choice but to kill them. Gareth and Olwen distanced themselves, while I remained close as the cats' main target. Gareth and Olwen put in some ranged attacks, while I fought with my sword. I also got in a fair number of attacks with the thorn shield. We had soon disposed of the mother cat and one of the kittens. I managed to capture the last kitten, trapping it in an upturned section of pipe until we could return. I have hopes of training it, as it will one day be as powerful as its mother.

Having finished our fight, we took a few moments to rest, and prepare for our journey ahead. If this was only the first of the troubles we were to face, I shudder to think what lies ahead.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Egg Extraction, Session 1 of 6
Continued by Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
We need a retrieval team. The Ember Patrol has located a dragon's egg, and must reach it under the ancient city of Rindtis before the Dragon Cult manages to get their claws on it.
Quote:
18:02 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:03 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:04 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:05 <Skid_GMing>: The Archivist has some equipment recommendations that you may select an item from.
18:06 <Skid_GMing>: The Ascender (travel 100ft rope, 1 hr recharge, 2 int recharge) - an enchanted device that, when activated, allows the wearer to climb 100 ft of rope in a single turn. Can be belt-clipped for hands-free operation. Recharges in an hour or with 2 intellect points.
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: Grasper's Gauntlets (asset to grappling, climbing, +1 unarmed damage) A pair of clawed steel gloves that aid the wearer in climbing and grasping, as well as packing a nasty punch. Requires armor training to use unencumbered.
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: Vitality Spike (3 irresistable damage, 50 ft radius, 1 day recharge, 4 int recharge) This nasty canister sends out a pulse of vitality-draining magic that harms every living thing within range, bypassing armor. While unpleasant to use, this tool is spectacular for dealing with swarms of weak enemies such as the wildlife found in caverns. Recharges in a day or with 4 intellect points.
18:08 <Leviticus>: I'm guessing we're doing a lot of climbing today? =P
18:08 <Skid_GMing>: Being able to climb may be an asset to cave exploration.
18:09 <Leviticus>: We get two, right? As we donated both the Chaos Device and the Gun?
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, yes.
18:10 <Skid_GMing>: And in the future your choices can include gear from previous recommendations.
18:10 <Leviticus>: I say the Grasper's Gauntlets and the Vitality Spike
18:11 <Gareth>: Using the Vitality Spike would hurt us as well as our enemies correct?
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:11 <Gareth>: Why would we want to do that?
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: Bees. Mostly.
18:13 <Gareth>: So only if things go really bad.
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: It would be best used when facing lots and lots of enemies that it would kill in one hit.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Gauntlets and vitality spike, unless there are objections.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: So, you guys set out from the Dawn Fortress, aiming to beat the dragon cult to the dragon egg itself.
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: With your solitary pack camel, you cross the desert towards Rindtis, a grueling journey beset by standstorms. Finally nearing the city, you climb a large dune to survey the area. Perception checks.
18:19 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
18:19 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 2
18:20 <Gareth>: :|
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, Leviticus?
18:23 <Gareth>: .............
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: Welp, since only Gareth is paying attention.
18:24 <Gareth>: Poorly, according to my roll
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: You see the crumbling spire of Tower Dauntless to the northeast, the most widely known entrance to the buried city. But not your destination. The information gathered by the Ember Patrol directs you to a sand-buried crevice a short distance to your west.
18:28 <Olwen>: I'm not going to be around for 1/2 an hour. Skid, can my character just follow along?
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Now we need Leviticus to make a wilderness navigation check.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, it's hard to move forward without most of the party active.
18:34 <Leviticus>: Here
18:34 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
18:34 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 1
18:34 <Leviticus>: I hate you, Dicebot
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: ...anyone else want to roll?
18:36 <Gareth>: I don't have experience but I can try a base roll
18:36 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:36 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 12
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, after a couple hours of searching you guys find the entrance you were looking for, a natural crevice widened into a primitive ventilation shaft for a cavern far below. It slopes downwards, eventually becoming a moderately difficult climb and tight squeeze to descend into the blackness.
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: How do you guys want to proceed?
18:38 <Gareth>: So the cult isn't going to be delayed anymore...
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: You haven't yet seen any sign of them.
18:40 <Gareth>: We go down, however we do that.
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, so you default to using your climbing rope and gear to descend through ancient soot. Eventually you cast a lantern beam over an expansive chamber of calcifying buildings. An ancient industrial district by the looks of it, overgrown with limestone formations and bioluminescent fungi.
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: To the north, a tunnel seems to lead into an even larger chamber, brightly lit by some unknown blue lighsource. Around are industrial buildings with signs in ancient runes. Your instructions direct you to find the iron refinery, which is a cover for the building's true purpose.
18:48 <Gareth>: I look for it.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check.
18:49 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
18:49 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 10
18:49 <Gareth>: Trained
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you don't know a lot about iron refinery, but you find a building with piles of slag and minecarts outside, which you've seen around similar buildings in Obsid and the mining towns. The door, a 8-foot-tall wood and steel slab is fused shut by limestone buildup and stalagtites.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Above, collapsed pipes and chimneys seem to leave several gaps in the walls.
18:54 <Gareth>: That's the only way in?
18:54 <Gareth>: Oh
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: And you start to notice the sounds of life down here. Chirping, not unlike soft birdsong floats through the tunnels.
18:56 <Gareth>: Can we get in through a hole?
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: It's worth a try.
18:56 <Gareth>: Do we have to climb up or where are they?
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: You would have to scale a 20 foot building face to reach them.
18:57 <Gareth>: Ok
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: It's rough and offers plenty of footholds.
18:58 <Gareth>: I'm not wearing the robes, btw. So no penalty
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:59 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:59 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4
18:59 <Gareth>: I'm not a climber
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: You climb slowly, finding the slippery limestone more difficult than expected. When you are about halfway up, you grab at a piece of moss and it comes loose in your hand, sending you tumbling back to the floor.
19:00 <Olwen>: I might be able to.
19:00 <Leviticus>: I can wear the gauntlets with no penalty, right?
19:00 <Leviticus>: Since I'm trained armor?
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: From everyone.
19:00 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:00 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 15
19:00 <Leviticus>: =D
19:00 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialised
19:00 <Dicebot>: Tikvah, specialised: 12
19:01 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 specialized eating
19:01 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, specialized eating: 9
19:01 <Leviticus>: Dinner time
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: Your great skill in eating lets you know that it's not food.
19:02 <Olwen>: I can grapple up by the hole.
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: The "moss" in Gareth's hand, is in fact a scrap of fur. As you look more carefully around the rubble at the base of the wall you find small bones and other signs of predation.
19:03 <Olwen>: Ewww.
19:03 <Olwen>: I fire a grappling arrow up by a hole.
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:04 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort.
19:04 <Dicebot>: Tikvah, specialized 1 effort.: 3
19:04 <Olwen>: :|
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: It's a short, easy shot. You secure an arrow right next to the hole.
19:06 <Olwen>: I climb up the rope.
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you ascend to the hole, it's five feet in diameter and an almost perfectly circular pipe. It's dark inside, but you have no trouble making out several piles of small bones and a noxious smell of meat.
19:08 <Olwen>: Ah.
19:10 <Gareth>: "Does it go inside?"
19:10 <Olwen>: "Yes."
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: And somewhere, around a bend in the pipe... you hear breathing.
19:10 <Gareth>: I follow.
19:10 <Olwen>: I quietly enter the hole.
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. With a rope in place you have little trouble of scrambling up to the pipe.
19:11 <Gareth>: I think "We should have done this in the first place."
19:11 <Olwen>: If no-one else is coming I collect my grappling hook.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: We'll assume everyone got up here.
19:11 <Olwen>: I was a bit zoned-out at first. :P
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: The pipe booms metalically as you walk into it.
19:13 <Gareth>: I was about to say we need a light
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Well, light yourself a lantern.
19:13 <Olwen>: I can see.
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen has darkvision.
19:13 <Gareth>: Then why did she walk into a pipe?
19:14 <Olwen>: I entered the pipe.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: Er, the "tunnel" you're in is actually a pipe.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: A big one.
19:14 <Gareth>: Oh *into* a pipe, lol
19:14 <Gareth>: Gotchya
19:15 <Olwen>: If I take off my shoes will it be quieter?
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
19:16 <Olwen>: I do so.
19:16 <Olwen>: And carry my shoes with me.
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: If you feel scraps of prey underfoot.
19:16 <Olwen>: I continue.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: The pipe groans in protest.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: Somewhere outside it, something scuffles around.
19:17 <Gareth>: I light my lantern.
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: After about 40 feet the pipe turns 90 degrees downwards and suddenly drops away. The smell of predatory creatures is almost overpowering here.
19:19 <Olwen>: I look down the pipe.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Below, you see the glaring eyes of an enormous cat-like creature about 20 feet below. It is readying to spring upwards at you.
19:21 <Olwen>: O_O
19:21 <Olwen>: Gareth....?
19:21 <Olwen>: Help.
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check?
19:22 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:22 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized : 11
19:22 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:22 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 12
19:23 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:23 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 6
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: This hairless, blind cat is about the size of a horse, and would barely fit in the pipe at the best of times. At its feet, however, are several smaller youngsters who would probably fit with no trouble.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Though they might not be able to make the jump.
19:25 <Olwen>: "Can Leviticus use his animal mojo to tame them or something?"
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: You want to make an animal handling knowledge check?
19:25 <Leviticus>: Sure, why not?
19:25 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
19:25 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 17
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: You've inadvertently invaded this creature's nest and threatened its children. It probably does not want to negotiate.
19:26 <Leviticus>: Start plasmaing, Gareth
19:27 <Gareth>: We shouldn't just leave?
19:27 <Leviticus>: Don't we need to get in?
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: You guys are in the right place, it's just... occupied.
19:28 <Leviticus>: So we kill the occupants
19:29 <Leviticus>: Chances are it can't get to us. Take some cheap shots and let's get what we came for
19:29 <Gareth>: Seems pretty mean but whatever.
19:29 Olwen feels sorry for the bald tiger-things.
19:29 <Gareth>: I start plasmaing.
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it?
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: You have the height advantage.
19:30 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
19:30 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 13
19:31 <Olwen>: I wonder if giant cats hate onions.
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: You fire, zapping the huge cat for relatively insignificant damage. It shrieks and leaps upwards, hooking a claw on the edge of the pipe's entrance. There's a loud metalic "ping" as a cable suspending the pipe fails. Roll initative.
19:33 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:33 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 8
19:33 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:33 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 16
19:34 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:34 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 16
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, turn order is Gareth, Leviticus, Olwen, monsters.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, make your reaction.
19:35 <Gareth>: I shoot again.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:35 <Gareth>: At the big one.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:36 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized effort to damage
19:36 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized effort to damage: 12
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: You just make it, shocking the cat again.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus.
19:37 <Gareth>: An 18 is 'just'? O.o
19:37 <Gareth>: Retreat!
19:37 <Leviticus>: How?
19:38 <Olwen>: (Google says onions are poisonous to cats, should I use my onion? :P)
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Well, there's the pipe behind you. That is currently currently screeching in metalic agony.
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Decide quick.
19:39 <Olwen>: Levi! go!
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: While we wait for Leviticus, you go, Olwen.
19:43 <Olwen>: I throw my onion in its face.
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it?
19:43 <Leviticus>: I use braced defense
19:43 <Olwen>: !roll d20 1 effort to hit
19:43 <Dicebot>: Olwen, 1 effort to hit: 15
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Uhm, improvised weapon...
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You hit the cat in the face with an onion.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You're not sure how much damage it did.
19:45 <Olwen>: Drat.
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: The cat is, however looking like it's in rough shape, and lets go of the pipe, twisting to fall perfectly on its feet.
19:46 <Olwen>: :D
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: The pipe bounces upwards as the tension is relieved, and then decends, unbounded.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Roll acrobatics checks all around.
19:48 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:48 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 10
19:48 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:48 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 17
19:49 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:49 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 5
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: !roll 2d6
19:50 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 8
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen and Leviticus manage to take only minor damage to their feet as your end of the pipe hits the floor, shattering and spewing you into the mass of cats.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth is not so lucky, losing his feet and crashing down with the full force of the impact.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, Levi, take 4 strength damage. Gareth, take 8.
19:52 <Gareth>: You're kidding
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Nope. 20 feet is a long way to fall.
19:52 <Leviticus>: My defense was up =D
19:52 <Leviticus>: #nodamage
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Hey, you weren't on your feet when you hit the groud. You took a bit of damage.
19:53 <Leviticus>: Stupid cat
19:53 <Leviticus>: Fine, 2 damage
19:53 <Leviticus>: #armor
19:53 <Gareth>: Over half dead in one turn!
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: That's not half dead, it's just one pool.
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: And it's your turn, Gareth. You're prone, lying in the end of a short pipe segment. You see a huge cat and four smaller cats in scrambling disarray.
19:54 <Gareth>: One pool gone is dead to me, since it starts penalizing.
19:54 <Gareth>: Beginning of the end. Good as dead even if not there yet.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: You're a pessimistic sort of adventurer.
19:55 <Gareth>: I don't like dying, so yeah
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: You're actually in the middle of a large hall, surrounded by small bones, and massive, broken machinery.
19:55 <Gareth>: They aren't attacking?
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. You have read person or tactics skills?
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a check for either.
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Intellect.
19:57 <Gareth>: Don't have either, so it doesn't matter which one
19:57 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:57 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 3
19:57 <Gareth>: Yeah
19:57 <Gareth>: Nothing matters, we're dead adventurers walking
19:57 <Gareth>: I told you we should have just left!
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: They're not facing you at the moment.
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: So... you doing something on your turn?
19:58 <Gareth>: Can I shoot from down here?
19:58 <Gareth>: (On my stomach)
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, you have a clear view of some of the smaller cats.
19:59 <Gareth>: But does it give some kind of penalty?
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. A small one.
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, the fact that they aren't watching you is an asset.
20:00 <Gareth>: I've already given up on life, so I just fire at whatever is closest
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Roll for it.
20:00 <Gareth>: !roll d20
20:00 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 5
20:00 <Gareth>: Specialized
20:01 <Gareth>: Doesn't matter
20:01 <Gareth>: Nothing really matters. To meeeee
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: You just miss a kitten.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: Levi? You're with Olwen, amidst shattered pipe, amongst scattered cats.
20:04 <Leviticus>: Braced Defense
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You raise your shield and prepare to defend yourself.
20:04 <Leviticus>: "Gareth. Relax. How many times have you been convinced you're a dead man?"
20:05 <Gareth>: This is the first time. Before it was always other people
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
20:05 <Olwen>: Is there anything near me?
20:05 <Leviticus>: "Remember our fight with the assassins?"
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: You're with Levi, so the same stuff that is near him, except him near you intead of you near him.
20:06 <Gareth>: I've never taken this much damage, to my memory, and we haven't even fought yet, it was from a fall >_>
20:06 <Gareth>: I'm now at half health, about to face something they takes 18 to hit. Please tell me where the optimism is
20:06 <Gareth>: And the assassins were different. I checked out of that one because I couldn't see a *plan* it wasn't that we were going to die necessarily. This time it's simply math.
20:06 <Olwen>: Anything I can stand on to give me a height advantage?
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: You could immediately hop on top of Gareth's pipe section, or make a run for some machinery.
20:07 <Olwen>: I run for some machinery.
20:07 <Olwen>: !roll d20 1 effort
20:07 <Dicebot>: Olwen, 1 effort: 13
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: You scramble up a machine gaining about 10 feet of altitude on the chaos.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: And are now about 30 feet away from the impact site.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, monsters turn. Two of the four kittens just keep running, disappearing into the machinery. The remaining two and the big cat go for Leviticus, the most conspicuous person in the room.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Roll dodge.
20:11 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
20:11 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained 1 effort: 16
20:11 <Leviticus>: er, no effort
20:11 <Leviticus>: Just remembered it was a speed action
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Well, with three cats attacking you at once you're hard pressed to defend yourself. You make a good showing, fending off both kittens with your thorn shield and taking 6 damage from the mother.
20:13 <Leviticus>: Thank you braced defense for saving me from 4 of that
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, your turn.
20:13 <Gareth>: See, one of those and my pool is gone
20:14 <Leviticus>: Then let me do all the fighting =P
20:14 <Gareth>: I want to get against a wall.
20:14 <Gareth>: If that won't be a whole turn
20:14 <Leviticus>: How close are we to killing 'em, Skid?
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you've got partial cover in your pipe there.
20:15 <Gareth>: Like in what directions?
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: The big cat will have a a hard time reaching you in there.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: The big cat is in really rough shape. From green to red she's deep orange.
20:15 <Gareth>: From one hit and an onion to the face? They doesn't compute
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: Two hits.
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: And an onion. And a big-old pipe falling on it.
20:16 <Gareth>: Whatever you say
20:16 <Gareth>: I guess I'll stay here then. What can I see?
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: You can see three cats attacking Leviticus with questionable efficiency.
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen has disappeared into the darkness.
20:17 <Gareth>: All small?
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: Two small, and the big one.
20:17 <Gareth>: Hmm
20:17 <Gareth>: I shoot at a small one
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
20:18 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
20:18 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 7
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: You hit one.
20:18 <Gareth>: I sarcastically 'yay'
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: It flails dramatically.
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: Levi?
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus!
20:21 <Gareth>: :mad:
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, while we wait for the tank to do things, your turn.
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: You've got a height advantage on the battle, and a clear view of Levi's battle with the cats.
20:22 <Leviticus>: Sorry had to put the chickens in
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: Well, have a go now.
20:23 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to damage
20:23 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, specialized 1 effort to damage: 2
20:23 <Olwen>: (Sorry, my computer froze.)
20:23 <Leviticus>: Tiny one =P
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: Yeahh, you flail at the kittens ineffectively.
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
20:24 <Leviticus>: Guessing lvl 4?
20:24 <Olwen>: I shoot at the large cat.
20:25 <Leviticus>: Oh, I call in my poodle =p
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Fire away.
20:25 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to hit.
20:25 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort to hit.: 16
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: And your murder-dog has been called.
20:25 <Leviticus>: Murder-dog =P
20:25 <Gareth>: Good, dogs and cats
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: You have an easy time placing an arrow in the ugly cat's side.
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: Its on its last legs.
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: The cats have another go at attacking Leviticus.
20:27 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a dodge.
20:28 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
20:28 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 14
20:29 <Leviticus>: I know, I know
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: You take a hit from the larger cat, suffering 6 damage, one of the smaller ones scratches ineffectively at your armor, and the third take a hit from the thorn shield's vines.
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, your turn.
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: The big cat is fighting desperately, clearly about ready to go down. Its minions don't look much better.
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, perception check.
20:31 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
20:31 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 9
20:32 <Leviticus>: One of the tinies is after her?
20:32 <Leviticus>: The ones that hid?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: No, the two fleeing tnies have fled to a corner of the hall, and have disappeared through a door.
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: fleeing tinies*
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: tinys*?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: >_>
20:34 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort to hit
20:34 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained 1 effort to hit: 1
20:34 <Leviticus>: ^my next turn
20:35 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth?
20:37 <Gareth>: Only the big one is left?
20:37 <Skid_GMing>: No, there were originally four kittens involved.
20:37 <Gareth>: Ah
20:38 <Gareth>: I go at one again
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: Fire away.
20:38 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
20:38 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 12
20:39 <Skid_GMing>: You nuke one of the smaller hairless predators, taking it out for good.
20:39 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus?
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: Olweeeen.
20:41 <Gareth>: :roll:
20:41 <Olwen>: My turn?
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: Since Levi takes forever, yes.
20:42 <Olwen>: I shoot at the big one.
20:42 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
20:42 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to damage
20:42 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort to damage: 8
20:43 <Gareth>: Ugh
20:44 <Skid_GMing>: You fire an arrow and catch it right between the eyes. It goes limp mid-lunge and crashes to the ground, stone dead.
20:44 <Gareth>: What?
20:44 <Olwen>: This is why I got a good bow.
20:44 <Gareth>: It has an inherent boost?
20:44 <Olwen>: :P
20:45 <Olwen>: I dunno.
20:45 <Skid_GMing>: Level 4 plus height advantage plus it's-nearly-dead.
20:45 <Gareth>: Well, otherwise that should have missed by one?
20:45 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: We can make it deal two more damage to Levi, if that would make you feel better.
20:46 <Gareth>: His armor would soak it so sure ;)
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus!
20:46 <Leviticus>: Okay
20:47 <Skid_GMing>: You've got a solitary kitten facing you down. It can do nothing against your armor.
20:47 <Gareth>: Get the last kitty!
20:47 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 specialized at the tiny
20:47 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, specialized at the tiny: 6
20:47 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained dodging
20:47 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained dodging: 1
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: You maim the kitten, it jumps onto your head and hangs there like a very angry hat.
20:48 <Leviticus>: xD
20:48 <Olwen>: Awww...
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: Oh.
20:48 <Leviticus>: I capture it
20:48 <Leviticus>: I wanna keep it
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, make a... wrestling check?
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: Strength based.
20:49 <Gareth>: Where will you keep it until we leave?
20:50 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
20:50 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 14
20:50 <Skid_GMing>: And asset from gauntlets...
20:50 <Skid_GMing>: You wrestle the cat to the ground, immobilizing it.
20:51 <Leviticus>: =D
20:51 <Skid_GMing>: It's hairless and ugly, and badly wounded.
20:51 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 medical
20:51 <Skid_GMing>: And combat over.
20:51 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, medical: 12
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: Make an animal handling check before you do that, actually.
20:52 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
20:52 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 4
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: You patch the cat up a bit, but it manages to scratch and bite you a few times as you do so, take 3 damage, ignoring armor.
20:52 <Gareth>: I loot the body
20:52 <Gareth>: I'm getting something for this ordeal :x
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: It's a giant dead cat. What do you want from it?
20:52 <Gareth>: Anything
20:52 <Gareth>: Oh a tooth! Of course
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: It has teeth.
20:54 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, if you hunt around you'll realize you aren't the first adventurers down this way. You find human bones, a small bag of silver, and a sword carved from bone and engraved with runes.
20:54 <Gareth>: Great
20:54 <Skid_GMing>: It has some tooth marks in it.
20:54 <Leviticus>: Specs on the sword?
20:55 <Skid_GMing>: Hold a miniute on those, have to find them.
20:55 <Gareth>: Is it a real weapon or just a trophy?
20:55 <Skid_GMing>: It does have weapon stats.
20:56 <Gareth>: Oh
20:57 <Gareth>: I use my action heal
20:57 <Gareth>: !roll d6+1
20:57 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 3:2+1
20:57 <Gareth>: Ugh
20:57 <Gareth>: All to Might, not that it makes a difference
20:57 <Leviticus>: I use my 10 minute
20:57 <Leviticus>: !roll d6+1
20:57 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 5:4+1
20:57 <Gareth>: Are we sitting around that long?
20:57 <Gareth>: After all that the Cultists have certainly gotten by the diversion.
20:57 <Gareth>: We need to move
20:57 <Skid_GMing>: This seems like an okay place to wrap up for the night, actually.
20:57 <Gareth>: Yes, but in context we have to get going
20:57 <Leviticus>: Well, it can take effect while we move
20:58 <Gareth>: It can? I thought we had to be resting? That's why it heals?
20:58 <Skid_GMing>: You each get 2 XP for the session, 1 XP for the pipe GM intrusion, and 1 XP to give away.
20:58 <Leviticus>: I find something to contain the cat with
20:58 <Olwen>: :D
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: The lead you guys have on the cultists should be measurable in days.
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: A few minutes wasted won't hurt you guys.
20:59 <Gareth>: Oh really? I thought we just had then searching another cavern.
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: You do. It's miles away.
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: And an entire city large.
20:59 <Gareth>: Oooh
21:00 <Gareth>: Great
21:00 <Gareth>: I do my 10min on top of that then
21:00 <Gareth>: !roll d6+1
21:00 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4:3+1
21:00 <Gareth>: Perfect
21:00 <Olwen>: I do my 10 minutes.
21:01 <Olwen>: !roll d6+1
21:01 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 5:4+1
21:01 <Leviticus>: Wait, did we find the dragon egg?
21:01 <Gareth>: We didn't even get to it yet. The cats interrupted our entrance
21:01 <Leviticus>: Oh, BTW, you ain't dead, Gareth
21:02 <Gareth>: Only because the cats didn't attack me again ever. If they had I would be
21:02 <Skid_GMing>: I think you'd be slightly alive even if you had drawn aggro for a few rounds.
21:03 <Skid_GMing>: You have a huge intellect pool you rarely drain at all.
21:03 <Gareth>: Doing six damage a swipe, I'd be down to my last pool. So yeah 'alive' but unable to function due to two penalties
21:04 <Gareth>: And unable to restore enough to remove them
21:05 <Skid_GMing>: For a few hours.
21:05 <Skid_GMing>: Or you cast force wall over both ends of your pipe and camp them out.
21:07 <Gareth>: That was what I was about to do actually. If it had started coming after me
21:08 <Skid_GMing>: I mean as a defensive measure.
21:08 <Gareth>: Me too
21:09 <Gareth>: Well goodnight
21:10 <Skid_GMing>: Bone Blade (3 damage, light, pierce armor, 1 day recharge, 4 int recharge) A short sword, carved from bone and slightly gnawed by a large predator. When activated for an attack it slices through unliving material like butter.
21:11 <Skid_GMing>: Oh. 6 royals value.
21:11 <Leviticus>: Hrm
21:11 <Leviticus>: Interesting
21:14 Gareth quit
21:15 <Leviticus>: Skid, did I find something for the cat?
21:15 <Skid_GMing>: You've got rope.
21:16 <Skid_GMing>: It's kinda big though for putting in a bag. It's large dog size. But not poodle size.
21:17 <Leviticus>: xD
21:18 <Leviticus>: Hrm
21:19 <Leviticus>: I assume the pipe is too heavy?
21:19 <Skid_GMing>: What are you trying to do with it, exactly?
21:20 <Leviticus>: Carry it with me
21:20 <Leviticus>: Or contain it here until we return with the egg
21:21 <Skid_GMing>: Well, carrying it with you will require some effort.
21:22 <Leviticus>: Effort, or effort effort?
21:23 <Skid_GMing>: lowercase effort.
21:24 <Skid_GMing>: You could hypothetically turn one of the pipe sections on end to trap the cat in there.
21:24 <Leviticus>: Could it jump out?
21:24 <Skid_GMing>: Not if you tie it up.
21:24 <Leviticus>: After the mother, I wouldn't be surprised
21:24 <Leviticus>: I could put something on top, though
21:24 <Skid_GMing>: True.
21:26 <Skid_GMing>: You manage to rig something up.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:56 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Sorry I missed our session this week, I've been sick and really out of it.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Don't worry about it Skid. :)

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5105
Age: 101

Cash: 2,133.64
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
Side Adventure, Levi: Wolf Encounter
Flashback to Levi's time before joining the Ember Patrol
Quote:
21:40 Woody is now known as Leviticus
21:42 <Skid>: All right. Leviticus is lying in his bedroll one night when he hears something sniffing outside his shelter. What does he want to do?
21:44 <Leviticus>: Wait to see if the sniffing thing becomes a threat
21:44 <Skid>: Okay. Roll a perception check.
21:44 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
21:44 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 18
21:45 <Skid>: There are now two sniffing things outside, and one of them is pushing against the side of the shelter. They sound large.
21:45 <Skid>: Now what?
21:45 <Leviticus>: Leviticus stands up and draws his sword, preparing for the worst
21:45 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
21:45 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 13
21:46 <Skid>: You don't need to roll for that.
21:46 <Leviticus>: Oh
21:46 <Leviticus>: Okay
21:46 <Leviticus>: g2g
21:46 <Leviticus>: Bai
21:46 <Skid>: Bye.
21:46 <Skid>: Come back and fight wolves some other time. =p
21:46 <Leviticus>: Seems like it will be fun
21:49 <Skid>: A dark, snarling face with glowing golden eyes rips through the side of the tent in front of Leviticus. The scene dims and "To be continued..." echoes in his mind.
23:04 <Leviticus>: Leviticus takes a swipe at the creature
23:04 <Leviticus>: Skid
23:04 <Skid>: Hey, welcome back. Roll for it.
23:04 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
23:04 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 8
23:05 <Skid>: You're trained in swords?
23:05 <Leviticus>: Yes
23:05 <Skid>: Then you hit.
23:05 <Leviticus>: =D
23:05 <Leviticus>: What does that mean?
23:05 <Skid>: Do "!roll d20 trained" so I can keep track of it.
23:06 <Skid>: It means it's the wolf's turn. It lunges for you. Roll to dodge.
23:06 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
23:06 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 18
23:06 <Skid>: It's a level 3 wolf, so you'll need to roll above 9 to hit or evade.
23:06 <Leviticus>: =D
23:07 <Leviticus>: Darn
23:07 <Leviticus>: I has to go again
23:07 <Skid>: You get away clean. Your turn. If you put in effort to damage and hit on this turn, you'll kill it.
23:07 <Leviticus>: Leviticus attempts to capture the creature alive in the hopes of training it
23:07 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
23:07 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 20
11:52 <Skid>: Well. You crit. And I'll give you that as your cinematic move. Leviticus throws himself on the creature and pins it to the ground.
11:52 <Skid>: You now have a tied up wolf in your tent. Make a perception check.
11:54 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
11:54 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 1
11:54 <Leviticus>: xP
11:55 <Skid>: You hear tearing as the other wolf bursts through the side of the tent behind you and attacks. Roll a speed defense.
11:55 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
11:55 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 5
11:55 <Leviticus>: =|
11:55 <Leviticus>: I hate you, Dicebot
11:56 <Skid>: You fail to dodge. The wolf bites Leviticus's arm for 3 damage. Subtract that from your might pool. Your turn.
11:57 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
11:57 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 20
11:57 <Skid>: You're a man of extremes today. What's your cinematic action?
11:57 <Leviticus>: Um
12:00 <Leviticus>: Leviticus kills the wolf, both as an example of his might to the captured wolf and for food
12:00 <Skid>: Leviticus catches the wolf full in the face and skewers it, a fatal blow.
12:01 <Leviticus>: Perception check?
12:01 <Skid>: Okay, now make a perception check.
12:01 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:01 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 20
12:01 <Leviticus>: xD
12:01 <Leviticus>: Apparently Dicebot responds well to being hated
12:01 <Skid>: You have got to be kidding me.
12:02 <Skid>: !roll d20
12:02 <Dicebot>: Skid: 7
12:03 <Skid>: Okay. Your captured wolf has a slash wound on its chest and needs medical attention. It's ceased struggling, but still has a wild look in its eye. It also appears young and inexperienced, perhaps not even full grown.
12:04 <Leviticus>: Leviticus bandages the wound, keeping a close eye on the wolf in case it attacks
12:04 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:04 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 4
12:04 <Leviticus>: Ugh
12:05 <Skid>: Leviticus doesn't know much about medical care. This looks like a job for a professional. The nearest town is two hours hike away.
12:07 <Leviticus>: Leviticus improvises a sled to pull the wolf on across the sand
12:07 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:07 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 20
12:07 <Leviticus>: xD
12:07 Skid squints.
12:07 <Skid>: Fine!
12:08 <Leviticus>: I am too lucky =P
12:08 <Skid>: You whip together a sled and bundle the wolf up to transport it without issue.
12:10 <Skid>: The village is a small, dusty, decaying one, but you know an old healing woman who lives in a hut up the hill.
12:13 <Skid>: What do you do?
12:16 <Leviticus>: Leviticus picks up the wolf and hikes up the hill
12:16 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:16 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 17
12:18 <Skid>: All right. You arrive at the door to find a shrivelled old womam sitting on the step and looking at you inquistively. "Whatcha got there, lad?"
12:22 <Skid>: Go.
12:27 <Leviticus>: "This wolf attacked me during the night. I managed to capture it in the hopes of training it, but not before wounding it. I cannot heal the wound myself, but I had hopes that you could."
12:27 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:27 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 11
12:31 <Skid>: Okay.
12:31 <Skid>: You don't need to roll for roleplaying.
12:33 <Skid>: She raises her eyebrows "You... have a wolf? And you want me to heal it while it chews my legs off?" ->>
12:37 <Leviticus>: xP
12:37 <Leviticus>: "I can restrain it if you can heal it."
12:38 <Skid>: "Aye? If you're sure you can handle it. But I won't be doing this for free. What do you have to offer an old woman for her services?"
12:40 <Leviticus>: "I have a large amount of meat from this wolf's slain companion."
12:41 <Skid>: "I don't eat dogs. Do you have anything else?"
12:42 <Skid>: She starts looking the wolf over as you talk.
12:49 <Skid>: "This is a bad cut, and he looks half starved. He will need several days of care. It... won't be cheap."
12:53 <Leviticus>: "M'lady, I have few possessions."
12:55 <Leviticus>: "There is little I can offer you, but I do have two hands, and a skill with construction. Indeed, this hut of yours does look as though it has been many years since it was built. I would be most happy to repair it, or even to build you a new one."
12:55 <Skid>: OOC: Clever move.
12:56 <Skid>: Her eyes light up. "I believe we have a deal. Hold this creature while I get it stitched up. Then I'll see you put to work."
12:57 <Leviticus>: Leviticus nods and holds the wolf
12:57 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
12:57 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 3
12:58 <Skid>: Heh, no need to roll for it.
12:58 <Leviticus>: Oh, okay
13:00 <Skid>: Actually, that seems like a fitting end to this scenario. You spend the next week working on the healer's hut and your wolf is healed. If you want to do a time skip here as you work on the house and your wolf heals, we can do that. Add "Level 3 wolf" to your inventory. He's an animal companion that can obey single word commands, or you can make an animal handling roll to try to tell it more complicated things.
13:00 <Leviticus>: kk
13:01 <Skid>: And your wolf needs a name.
13:01 <Leviticus>: So, have I done well?
13:01 <Skid>: Yes.
13:01 <Leviticus>: Hmmm... Numbers
13:01 <Leviticus>: =P
13:06 <Skid>: You might want to apply effort to do more damage in combat at times. You did fine here because you kept rolling crits, but sometimes you'll want to do 7 damage instead of 4.
13:09 <Skid>: Oh! Recovery rolls. You're missing some might points.
13:09 <Skid>: !roll d6+1
13:09 <Dicebot>: Skid: 2:1+1
13:12 <Leviticus>: !roll d6+1
13:13 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 4:3+1
13:16 <Skid>: All right. You can add 4 points back to your pools. Which should bring you back to maximum.


Special thanks to bookworm for editing the log. :)

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:17 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
I finally made contact with Lightning. He's having trouble accessing the ToO right now, but said he gives his XP from Search and Rescue Part 4 to me. So we're all caught up with standing business at last.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:57 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
The Embers descend deeper into the Caverns in search of the dragon's egg, finding sleeping stone guardians, a magical artifact that reanimates them, and a hallway armed to the teeth with traps.

Tikvah and bookworm each earn 3 XP and assorted loot.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
We continued into the facility in search of the dragon egg. Finding the path blocked by a river, Olwen stuck an arrow in the ceiling and swung across. I bridged the water with a series of force walls. We should have both gone my way, as the arrow disturbed a group of wasp nests. We quickly hurried on before they decided to attack us.

We found three doors marked with a soldier, a dragon, and an orb respectively. The first two were locked so we entered the orb room. The area was a terrible mess; we gathered that an explosive trap had been set off. In a side room we found the remains of a strange creature of blackwood and stone. It seemed to haven once been some kind of guard, now dead from lack of sunlight. We found a few trophies, and a key to open the other doors.

We searched the soldier room next. It was the same as the orb room, but not exploded. We entered carefully to not set off the trap we now knew was placed, and not disturb the blackwood guardians who were this time intact. We found more items, one in particular we were confused by for a while. It was a tangle of blackwood, but alive this time. Attempts to examine it caused the vines to lash out. Eventually realizing this was an artifact the blackwood had coiled around, not a blackwood device, we had Levi strip the vines away as he was protected by the gauntlets we took from the Archive. He revealed the item to be a framed disk that gave off brilliant light as if reflecting the sun itself. Quite a find; I am anxious to study it further.

Upon leaving the inner room the blackwood guardians suddenly began moving. We realized they were being drawn to the light and quickly exited the soldier room, returning them dormant. We gazed into the dragon room and saw indications of a trap system in place. We must be careful before proceeding.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:03 am 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5105
Age: 101

Cash: 2,133.64
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
Sorry I missed this session, guys. I was away from the house and got back later than I expected.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:05 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Egg Extraction, Session 2 of 6
Continued from Part 1, Continued by Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
We need a retrieval team. The Ember Patrol has located a dragon's egg, and must reach it under the ancient city of Rindtis before the Dragon Cult manages to get their claws on it.
Quote:
18:15 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:16 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:17 Gareth quit
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: ...
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: Well, when we last left our heroes they were in the depths of an ancient art gallery, full of penguins.
18:20 <Olwen>: Really?
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: No.
18:21 bookworm joined #Gowers
18:22 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: So, when we left our heroes they had descended into a forgotten cave city, slain a giant cave predator, and were about to descend deeper into the darkness in search of the dragon's egg.
18:24 <Olwen>: Right.
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: You are in a large hall filled with machinery. Exits are the pipe you entered through, and a pair of double-doors at the north end leading into the unknown.
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: They are hanging open, pushed aside by the fleeing cats.
18:26 <Olwen>: So, North?
18:27 <Gareth>: Looks like it
18:27 <Olwen>: I head to the northern doors.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: You pass into a passageway of hewn stone, descending gently, Glowing mushrooms dot the walls and ceiling. You hear rushing water somewhere in the distance.
18:29 <Olwen>: Can I pick a mushroom?
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:29 <Olwen>: I do so.
18:29 <Olwen>: Then continue.
18:29 <Gareth>: What color do they glow?
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Blue and purple, mostly.
18:30 <Gareth>: This is what was making that light in the tunnel outside?
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:30 <Gareth>: I take a few also then.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: It shines brightly as you touch it, then dulls and blackens as you pull it up.
18:32 <Gareth>: I'll try replanting them later.
18:33 <Gareth>: More pressing matters at hand now
18:33 <Olwen>: I continue down the tunnel
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: The passage you follow widens and emerged into a large, open cavern. Across the middle flows a raging river, and on the far side is an eroded plaza, with a dry fountain and three doorways surrounded by themed engravings.
18:35 <Olwen>: How wide is the river?
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Probably 40 feet. It has a bioluminescence all its own, sparkling green where it breaks against the rocks of the riverbed.
18:36 <Olwen>: How high is the ceiling?
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: About 50 feet.
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check.
18:37 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:37 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 7
18:37 <Olwen>: -_-
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: You notice a couple odd, bulb-shaped growths in the ceiling, the size of large baskets.
18:39 <Olwen>: I fire my grapple arrow at one.
18:40 <Gareth>: Do I know what would make the water glow like that?
18:40 <Gareth>: As far as, does it mean the water is dangerous to touch
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Roll a knowledge check. Have any skill that would cover cavern life?
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, roll your attack.
18:41 <Olwen>: !roll d20
18:41 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 3
18:41 <Olwen>: Really? I guess Woody used all the nice rolls.
18:42 <Gareth>: Oh is it natural? I was going to make a magic knowledge check, I thought it might be enchanted.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: It appears to be nonmagical.
18:42 <Gareth>: Very good then.
18:43 <Gareth>: But might as well try anyway, out of curiosity. Though no, I have nothing pertaining to caves
18:43 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
18:43 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 8
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: Your arrow hits the ceiling near one of the pods, digging into the stone ceiling. You hear a low buzzing.
18:43 <Olwen>: Uh-oh.
18:43 <Olwen>: Is the grapple situated so I can get across the river?
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. It's roughly directly over the river. You could hypothetically swing across.
18:44 <Gareth>: "Why did you do that?"
18:44 <Olwen>: I try to swing across.
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Acrobatics check.
18:44 <Olwen>: "I didn't know it was alive!"
18:45 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
18:45 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 4
18:45 <Olwen>: Gah!
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: You grip the rope and swing, near the far bank... and then begin to swing back.
18:46 <Olwen>: I'm stuck in the middle?
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you're still swinging.
18:46 <Olwen>: I try and gain momentum.
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you pump your swing higher, until you're swinging high over both banks.
18:47 <Olwen>: I drop onto the far bank and keep ahold of my rope.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: You drop to the crumbling edge of the plaza.
18:49 <Olwen>: I step away from the edge.
18:49 <Olwen>: What is the ground made of?
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: It's a huge mosaic of geometric patterns and stylized dragons.
18:50 <Olwen>: So, rock?
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Pavement, yes.
18:50 <Gareth>: Do I remember anything about glowing cave water? (On an 11)
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: It's a common enough property of cavern water. Caused by millions of tiny aquatic creatures.
18:50 <Gareth>: Then I cast a force wall horizontal over the river.
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Where over it? Your side, or in the middle, or where?
18:52 <Gareth>: Starting from my bank. I want to bridge it.
18:52 <Gareth>: Oh and I gather some water in a container. I have an idea for something once we're done with the mission.
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. That'll take four castings. You create a shimmering bridge of force.
18:53 <Gareth>: I begin to carefully cross.
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: You slide across the bridge, joining Olwen on the far side.
18:53 <Gareth>: Nice
18:54 <Olwen>: So, continue? Or fight with the buzzing on the ceiling?
18:55 <Gareth>: We definitely don't want to take on three hives of hornets.
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Now that you're here, you can pick out the finer details of the three doors. Each one is designated with an engraved statue. The first, an armored soldier. The second, a dragon spewing stone fire. The third, a shattered orb. All doors but the last are closed.
18:56 <Olwen>: The cats probably went through there.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: Perception checks?
18:57 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
18:57 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 6
18:58 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:58 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 1
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: You notice the buzzing has dramatically increased in volume since you retrieved your rope.
18:59 <Olwen>: "How about door number 1?"
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: The two closed doors have a locking mechanisms, with regular looking keyholes. The orb door looks like it was blasted off the hinges. And you're not sure the orb is supposed to be shattered.
19:00 <Olwen>: I try and lock-pick the first door.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for lockpicking.
19:00 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:00 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 2
19:00 <Olwen>: >.<
19:01 <Gareth>: What level are hornets?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: Hornets...depend on the size of the swarm.
19:01 <Gareth>: But how much health?
19:01 <Gareth>: Do we need to engage to weaken, or do we use the spike right off?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: Indivdually? 1 HP.
19:02 <Olwen>: "How about we go though the orb door? I'd rather not do hornets."
19:02 <Gareth>: "Agreed."
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: You spend a couple minutes picking at the lock, but fail to penetrate it. You estimate it would take all your skill on a good day to disengage it.
19:02 <Olwen>: I go through the orb door.
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Inside the orb door is a scene of utter devastation. This hall may have contained beautiful statuework at one time, but everything has been smashed and thrown to the corners of the hall by some immense concusive blast. Stairs on either side lead up to a balcony, while a doorway ahead is blocked by fallen rubble.
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Perception checks?
19:07 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:07 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 20
19:07 <Olwen>: :D
19:07 <Olwen>: Of course that couldn't happen on an action.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: You sweep the room, discerning a pressure plate in the floor and alcoves that once contained charges of explosive powder. From the wreckage you notice that not all of the rubble is stone, there are chunks of scorched blackwood mingled with, and sometimes fused to the marble fragments.
19:10 <Olwen>: I wonder what the plate does.
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: It triggered the explosive trap.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: On the balcony, you come across a nearly intact leg, an odd fusion of blackwood core and stone armor.
19:11 <Olwen>: o_O
19:11 <Olwen>: Anything else in the balcony?
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Two small doors into office-type spaces.
19:13 <Gareth>: I search one.
19:13 <Olwen>: I look in the spaces.
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Okay... another set of perception checks.
19:14 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:14 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 16
19:14 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:14 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 19
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, as you crack the door open, your lamp casts a narrow strip of light on a hulking figure crouching in the corner.
19:15 <Gareth>: I freeze
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: It's unmoving and stone-faced.
19:16 <Gareth>: It's a statue?
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: It's plated armor is like the leg you found outside.
19:17 <Gareth>: I wait a few moments to see if it moves.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: It does not.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: It's a biped, about the size of a large man, with cartoonishly huge fists.
19:17 <Gareth>: Has it noticed me?
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: No.
19:18 <Gareth>: Oh, then I cough, then watch again to see its reaction.
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: It doesn't move.
19:18 <Gareth>: Hmm
19:18 <Gareth>: I open the door the rest of the way.
19:19 <Olwen>: I rejoin Gareth.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: You see the rest of the room, a small office, with a desk crushed and splintered, parchment strewn around. The figure seems to be an ancient artificial guardian, dead from starvation from sunlight.
19:21 <Gareth>: I search the room as originally intended.
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the room contains notes on the design of these guardians, and a bronze key.
19:22 <Gareth>: Great
19:22 <Gareth>: Was there another office or did both doors go here?
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: The other office that Olwen searched contains a set of finely embroidered gloves and a rapier, as well as historical documents.
19:24 <Olwen>: I pick up the rapier.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:24 <Gareth>: We pick up everything.
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: Inventory: 600 lbs of stone and blackwood debris, 400lbs of desks. =p
19:25 <Gareth>: Eh, I already have a desk
19:26 <Gareth>: I return to the door and listen for wasps.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check?
19:26 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:26 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 15
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: You can't hear buzzing anyomre.
19:27 <Gareth>: Hmm
19:27 <Gareth>: I poke my head out.
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: You don't see wasps.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: You see the river and plaza and two closed doors.
19:28 <Gareth>: I motion to Olwen and try the key in the dragon door.
19:28 <Olwen>: I do so.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: The door unlocks.
19:28 <Gareth>: I try the key in the other door.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: That door also unlocks.
19:29 <Olwen>: Yay!
19:29 <Olwen>: So, Soldier Door or Dragon Door?
19:29 <Gareth>: I open the dragon door and look in.
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Peeeeeeerception check.
19:29 <Olwen>: Me too?
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: If you stick your head inside, yes.
19:30 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:30 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 8
19:30 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:30 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 5
19:30 <Gareth>: I look harder :p
19:30 <Olwen>: "hmmph."
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: You see another hall, about 60 feet long, with a life-sized statue of a dragon at its end, crouching over another doorway. However, you also notice several suspicious slits in the walls and floor.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: The dragon statue would have a wingspan of about 50 feet if it spread them out, which it doesn't have room to do here.
19:32 <Gareth>: I look in the other door.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: This room mirrors the orb room, except the door at the back is not blocked off.
19:35 <Gareth>: No traps in this one?
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, and the statues are intact.
19:35 <Gareth>: The guardian statues?
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. Four of them. Arranged in formation.
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Around that pressure plate.
19:36 <Olwen>: And the pressure plates too, I bet.
19:36 <Olwen>: Oh.
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: All as immobile as the first you found.
19:36 <Gareth>: I cough at these ones too.
19:37 <Olwen>: I don't trust them. Something will happen. I know it.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: They don't respond.
19:37 <Gareth>: I shrug and step inside.
19:38 <Olwen>: I carefully go around to the door in the back.
19:38 <Gareth>: I carefully go up to the balcony.
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: The balcony has office rooms on it.
19:40 <Gareth>: I search them.
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: You find that the main floor door opens into a workshop area, where parts of guardians are stacked in disarray amongst tools and lab notes. In one corner you notice something glowing, almost completely covered in green foliage.
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check?
19:44 <Gareth>: Who
19:44 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:44 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 18
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You. For searching the offices.
19:45 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:45 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 16
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: The offices have regular office stuff, a ceramic figurine of a troll, 20 silver coins, and one of the desks is locked. On one of the walls is the framed picture of a bearded man in a red, hooded robe.
19:47 <Gareth>: Do I know who it is?
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: Magical knowledge check?
19:48 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized effort
19:48 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized effort: 15
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: You don't know who the man is, but the robes look like those worn by the dragon cult, though the style seems to have changed a bit over the years.
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: He has a distinctive Y-shaped scar on his left cheekbone.
19:50 <Gareth>: I bag everything but the picture.
19:51 <Gareth>: And call Olwen up to try opening the desk.
19:52 <Olwen>: I join Gareth and try the desk.
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:52 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained
19:52 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained: 10
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: You crack open the desk, discovering a pair of silver-inlaid hand crossbows.
19:53 <Gareth>: We each take one.
19:54 <Gareth>: Any bolts?
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, you find a dozen.
19:54 <Gareth>: Cool
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: They're silver bolts.
19:54 <Olwen>: Does my archery training extend to these?
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:54 <Gareth>: Nice
19:54 <Olwen>: So 6 bolts each.
19:55 <Gareth>: I'll just take one for now, I'll probably never use the thing :)
19:55 <Olwen>: Works for me.
19:55 <Gareth>: I go in the downstairs room and cautiously examine the green thing.
19:55 <Olwen>: I follow.
19:56 <Gareth>: Is it another nest?
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: You can't see it clearly through the blackwood branches growing up and around it, bit it has a yellow magical signature.
19:57 <Olwen>: "Is it the egg?"
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: It's also producing a steady glow of bright, clear light.
20:03 <Gareth>: Would a dragon give a signature?
20:03 <Olwen>: Maybe.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: As a magical creature, yes.
20:03 <Gareth>: This is the egg then?
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: If you mentally strip away the foliage, it's sitting on the corner of a workshop countertop. Not likely.
20:06 <Gareth>: Is it a trap?
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: Well, the blackwood branches look kinda thorny and irritable.
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: How do you go about finding out if it's a trap?
20:08 <Gareth>: By asking the GM
20:08 <Gareth>: :p
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: That's not a wizard ability in this system. =p
20:08 <Gareth>: Supreme Clairvoyance? ;)
20:09 <Gareth>: I draw my sword and point it at it.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: Nothing happens.
20:10 <Gareth>: I gradually move it closer.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: The branches start flicking in your direction.
20:11 <Gareth>: I lower the sword and shrug at Olwen.
20:12 <Olwen>: "hmm."
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen. Blackwood knowledge check. Your hometown is an asset.
20:13 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:13 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 7
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: The only living blackwood is feeding off of whatever item this is. It would be impossible for it to be alive down here otherwise.
20:14 <Olwen>: I throw a rock at a branch. (if there are any here)
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: You throw chunk of debris at the foliage. It recoils and strikes out in your direction, uncovering the item of its interest as it does so. You see a plate-sized disk glowing with daylight intensity, set in a thin copper frame.
20:18 <Gareth>: Ooh
20:18 <Gareth>: I want
20:18 <Olwen>: Is this the sort of thing that would be injured with fire, Gareth?
20:18 <Gareth>: Well we tried burning Malvert's tree and it didn't do much.
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: Blackwood burns. Not well, when it's alive, but yes.
20:19 <Gareth>: That was huge though, would this smaller one burn?
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: Only one way to be sure.
20:19 <Olwen>: But will the artifact be injured by fire?
20:19 <Gareth>: Unknown
20:20 <Gareth>: Could Levi grapple with this thing with those gauntlets we brought?
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: With several random pieces of foliage growing from different chunks of blackwood?
20:21 <Olwen>: Heh.
20:21 <Gareth>: I thought they might protect his hands
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: Well, blackwood doesn't pierce armor, normally.
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: So, in a way, yes.
20:22 <Gareth>: I tell Levi to try grabbing a vine and pulling it off.
20:23 <Gareth>: Firmly but gently; to not hurt the artifact.
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
20:24 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 10
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: He grabs a vine and tears it away, thinning the mass.
20:24 <Olwen>: How well rooted are the Blackwood pieces?
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: Not well at all.
20:25 <Gareth>: Oh this is just blackwood that has formed around this thing? They aren't meant to be connected?
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:26 <Gareth>: Then Levi continues carefully removing vines.
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you pull away the vines until it is exposed, though the vines thrash and even try to crawl back towards it.
20:27 <Olwen>: Yay.
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: It's yours if you want to grab it.
20:28 <Gareth>: I pick it up.
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the vines turn their attention to you, tracking your movement and trying to approach.
20:28 <Olwen>: We probably need to get something from the orb room door as well.
20:29 <Gareth>: Was it Blocked or blocked?
20:29 <Olwen>: ?
20:29 <Gareth>: That door
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: It was collapsed and burried.
20:29 <Gareth>: Unclearable?
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: You an earth mage?
20:29 <Gareth>: Nope
20:30 <Olwen>: I exit the room.
20:30 <Olwen>: What does that thing you have do?
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Olwen, you go back to the dark entry hall, where four guardians stand around a pressure plate.
20:32 <Gareth>: Does this room have a door, or was it just an opening?
20:32 <Skid_GMing>: It had a door, hanging open.
20:32 <Gareth>: I join Olwen and close the door behind me to stop the branches.
20:33 <Olwen>: Any idea what that disk is?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: As you enter the room with your glowing disk, the four guardians turn towards you.
20:33 <Olwen>: Gaah!
20:33 <Olwen>: Of course it would activate them.
20:34 <Skid_GMing>: Their helmets open, revealing a bloom of foliage.
20:34 <Gareth>: I calmly continue toward the exit.
20:34 <Olwen>: I run for the exit.
20:34 <Gareth>: I groan and run also, now.
20:34 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, they track your movements, then start to plod after you with stony stiffness.
20:34 <Olwen>: O_O
20:35 <Skid_GMing>: As soon as you break line of sight, the footsteps stop.
20:35 <Gareth>: I exit and duck around the corner of the door.
20:35 <Olwen>: "Well, let's not go in there again."
20:35 <Gareth>: I examine the disk now
20:36 <Skid_GMing>: Magical knowledge check?
20:37 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized effort
20:37 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized effort: 4
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: It's glowing as if a piece of the sunny sky was pouring light through the disk into the cavern. It effectively makes a powerful spotlight, and attracts plants which rely on the light for sustenance.
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: It's enchanted, with tinges of chaos magic as all artifacts from the era have.
20:39 <Olwen>: Well, maybe we can use it to lure blackwood into triggering the traps.
20:39 <Olwen>: Or actvate the dragon with it.
20:39 <Gareth>: I bag it and return to the entrance to the dragon room.
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you go back to the dragon hallway.
20:40 <Gareth>: I try to see how the traps work.
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: How do you do that?
20:41 <Gareth>: Examining the room.
20:41 <Gareth>: Uh, from here
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: So, you take a look into the room?
20:41 <Gareth>: Yeah just looking around, you know
20:42 <Skid_GMing>: You see a tiled floor with inch-wide slits of varying lengths and orientations every few feet. Similar slits appear in the walls. A dull red magical signature eminates from somewhere down the hall.
20:45 <Gareth>: Hmm
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: Well, It's almost 9 and I've got some stuff to do, so this seems like an okay place to break for the night.
20:47 <Olwen>: OK.
20:47 <Gareth>: Okay
20:47 <Gareth>: This was a good one; lots of cool loot! :D
20:47 <Skid_GMing>: 2 XP each for participation, and 1 XP to... give to each other.
20:47 <Gareth>: Lol
20:48 <Olwen>: :D
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: Wonder where Woody got off to.
20:48 <Olwen>: No idea.
20:48 <Olwen>: But he missed out.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:45 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
So, big recap post.

In between session, earns 1 XP for Woody, Bookworm, and Tikvah as they figure out how to pass the trapped hallway.

In retrieval session X, Tikvah ventures through the trapped tunnel and faces the mechanical dragon, retrieving the dragon's egg. 3 XP to Tikvah, and 1 to Woody.

In retrieval session X the ember patrol escapes the dungeon with the Dragon's egg, and notices they've been tracked by a distant spy. Bookworm, Tikvah, and Woody each earn 2 XP.

In retrieval session X, our heroes track down the origin of the spying bird, and Bookworm, Tikvah, and Woody each earn 2 XP.

And in the final session, in which our heroes negotiate with the mercenary scout Marl for intel on their enemies, Bookworm and Tikvah each earn 2 XP.

Next week the heroes return to Dawn Fortress and prepare to face the threat of mercenary unrest.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:01 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Egg Extraction, Session 3 of 6
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Continued by Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
We need a retrieval team. The Ember Patrol has located a dragon's egg, and must reach it under the ancient city of Rindtis before the Dragon Cult manages to get their claws on it.
Quote:
20:49 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
20:49 bookworm is now known as Gareth
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: When we left our exploration party they were deep underground, probing an ancient city rumoured to contain a dragon's egg. Crossing a raging river, they find an old repair facility for blackwood guardian constructs, a tunnel guarded by traps and a stone dragon, and an artifact that shines like daylight.
20:50 <Olwen>: Well then.
20:51 <Gareth>: We're stuck at the entrance to the dragon room.
20:51 <Olwen>: Can we throw a rock in and see if it does something?
20:52 <Gareth>: What if it's an exploding trap like the others had?
20:52 <Gareth>: It would wreck everything.
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: To recap the specific notes about the room:
20:52 <Skid_GMing>: You see another hall, about 60 feet long, with a life-sized statue of a dragon at its end, crouching over another doorway. However, you also notice several suspicious slits in the walls and floor.
20:52 <Gareth>: Wait, does this one have a pressure plate too?
20:53 <Skid_GMing>: You see a tiled floor with inch-wide slits of varying lengths and orientations every few feet. Similar slits appear in the walls. A dull red magical signature enimates from somewhere down the hall.
20:53 <Olwen>: Can you do a magic bridge thingie so we don't trigger anything?
20:53 <Olwen>: Like across the river.
20:53 <Gareth>: Aha great idea!
20:53 <Gareth>: Oh except there are traps in the wall too?
20:54 <Olwen>: But will they go off if you don't touch anything?
20:55 <Gareth>: Hmm
20:56 <Gareth>: We need to figure out if they're motion activated.
20:56 <Olwen>: Slits would suggest arrows.
20:56 <Olwen>: What if we use the sunbeam to lure the dragon machine-monster down the hallway toward us?
20:57 <Olwen>: Then it can trigger the traps, we hide the sunbeam and go through the tunnel.
20:58 <Olwen>: Can we tell if the dragon is the thing glowing red?
21:00 <Skid_GMing>: The magical signature is coming from vaguely its direction.
21:00 <Olwen>: Oh.
21:00 <Olwen>: That complicates things.
21:04 <Skid_GMing>: So... planning on trying any of these ideas out?
21:05 <Olwen>: Gareth?
21:05 <Gareth>: Sorry! I had to go see to something
21:05 <Olwen>: It's fine.
21:06 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you could always throw the nearest AFK player down the hallway and see what happens.
21:06 <Skid_GMing>: =p
21:06 <Gareth>: Wait, that dragon is a guardian? o.o
21:07 <Skid_GMing>: The guardians don't have magical signatures, being animated blackwood.
21:08 <Olwen>: So it might not be. There's something strange about it.
21:08 <Gareth>: I thought/hoped it was just neat decor
21:08 Woody is now known as Leviticus
21:08 <Olwen>: Well, stranger
21:09 <Gareth>: Figure this out Levi
21:09 <Leviticus>: Is the dragon blackwood or stone?
21:09 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
21:11 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
21:11 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 17
21:11 <Skid_GMing>: It appears stone. The guardians you have already encountered are covered in stone armor, except when exposed to sunlight.
21:11 <Leviticus>: I send Ezra in
21:11 <Leviticus>: =P
21:12 <Olwen>: I don't beleive Ezra is on this trip
21:12 <Leviticus>: He is now xP
21:12 <Skid_GMing>: Despite the distance, you notice chinking in its armor, which would imply some capacity for momement.
21:12 <Gareth>: What is the spacing of the wall slits?
21:12 <Leviticus>: Gareth, here's the solution
21:13 <Leviticus>: Force walls along the walls with slits
21:13 <Leviticus>: Stops any arrows
21:13 <Leviticus>: Or flamethrowers, etc
21:13 <Skid_GMing>: It varies, but between a foot and six feet.
21:13 <Gareth>: I was getting there, but if the wall is too long...
21:13 <Gareth>: Would take a ton
21:13 <Leviticus>: Is it, Skid?
21:14 <Skid_GMing>: It's a 60 foot hallway to reach the dragon.
21:14 <Gareth>: Okay I take out the sun disk, exhale tensely, and shine it on the dragon.
21:15 <Olwen>: I stand behind Gareth.
21:15 <Leviticus>: I stand behind Olwen
21:16 <Gareth>: I stand behind the disk
21:16 <Leviticus>: Remind me to buy and train some disposable mice
21:16 Olwen thinks about elbowing Leviticus in the ribs.
21:16 <Skid_GMing>: The dragon's neck armor flares open, revealing a frill of green foliage that points towards the light source.
21:17 <Gareth>: I jump, and duck around the corner.
21:17 <Olwen>: OK, so it does have blackwood.
21:17 <Skid_GMing>: Perception checks?
21:17 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
21:17 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
21:17 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 1
21:17 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 12
21:17 <Olwen>: D:
21:17 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
21:17 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 12
21:17 <Olwen>: Why do I ALWAYS get the low number. D:
21:18 <Skid_GMing>: When the light goes away, the frill slowly retracts, and the armor slots back into place.
21:20 <Gareth>: I put the light on it again to draw it down the hall.
21:20 <Skid_GMing>: The frill expands again, but the dragon does not move from its perch.
21:21 <Olwen>: Hmmmm.
21:21 <Olwen>: You could shoot it with lightning.
21:21 <Leviticus>: I have a feeling it's a flamethrower
21:24 <Olwen>: What, the dragon?
21:24 <Olwen>: I'm pretty sure the dragon isn't a flamethrower.
21:25 <Gareth>: From its mouth?
21:25 <Gareth>: Sounds logical
21:25 <Olwen>: That could be, but the rest of it? no.
21:26 <Olwen>: But we need to do something.
21:26 <Olwen>: Shooting arows won't do any good.
21:30 <Leviticus>: Try zapping it, Gareth
21:30 <Gareth>: I would rather not agitate a dragon.
21:30 <Gareth>: Did this room have a pressure plate?
21:30 <Skid_GMing>: It has a tiled floor.
21:31 <Olwen>: Remember how long it took us to cross the last tiled floor we came across?
21:32 <Gareth>: No
21:32 <Olwen>: Arresting the cazy man under the tree?
21:33 <Olwen>: In Blackwood?
21:33 <Gareth>: Oh, yeah
21:33 <Gareth>: But that was different. This is a genuine trapped room by a dangerous secret cult, not a garbage trap thrown together by a loon.
21:34 <Olwen>: But my point is we have to make a move sometime. We can't just sit and think for ages like we did then.
21:35 <Gareth>: Yeah so do something
21:35 <Gareth>: I already tried an idea :p
21:35 <Olwen>: I've been suggesting plenty, but I don't have the tools.
21:35 <Olwen>: I have to go really soon.
21:36 <Skid_GMing>: Well, if we have to stop soon, maybe you lot can go over ideas and come up with things you will try by next session.
21:36 <Olwen>: OK
21:36 <Gareth>: Yeah
21:37 <Olwen>: Soo, nothing happens? I can leave?
21:37 <Skid_GMing>: Guess so.
21:37 <Gareth>: I told Woody to figure it out since he wasn't here last time.
21:37 <Skid_GMing>: If you want to gather information or clarify details about the hallway you can ask me during the week.
21:37 <Gareth>: OK
21:37 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you learned some things about the trap.
21:37 <Gareth>: Yes
21:38 <Skid_GMing>: So I'll give 1 XP each for that.
21:38 <Olwen>: OK
21:38 Olwen quit
21:38 <Gareth>: Sorry I messed tonight up; it was an unusual day.
21:39 <Skid_GMing>: No problem.
Quote:
18:33 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: Well, we once again start the session in front of the hall of traps and a dragon.
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Since you're the only one here, you have access to all the loot picked up so far.
18:35 <Olwen>: I toss a rock inside.
18:35 <Olwen>: Yay!
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Make a notice check.
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Er, perception check.
18:35 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:35 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 19
18:36 Woody joined #Gowers
18:37 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:37 <Olwen>: Yay!
18:37 <Olwen>: We're still in front of the dragon tunnel
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: As your rock strikes the tile it is pushed down into the floor and a large spinning blade pops out of a nearby slit and slashes at the air above the tile, then retracts. However, that tile remains depressed after the blade disappears.
18:38 <Olwen>: I throw a rock on the same tile.
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: It bounces off, drawing no reaction.
18:39 <Olwen>: OK then, we just need to throw rocks in the tunnel.
18:39 <Leviticus>: I search for a rock round enough to roll
18:39 <Olwen>: I throw in more rocks.
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: You throw more rocks into the tunnel, after a dozen or so, the first tiles depressed rise back into their original position, one by one.
18:41 <Olwen>: Oh.
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus: perception check?
18:42 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
18:42 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 6
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: You find a rock about the size and shape of your head.
18:43 <Olwen>: Can I tell if they are a timed thing, or if there can only be a certain number of tiles pressed at once?
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: They seem to be limited to 12 tiles depressed at a time.
18:44 <Olwen>: How many tiles long is the tunnel?
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: The tiles are somewhat irregular in size, but you guess about 30, if you pick your route efficiently.
18:45 <Olwen>: I press down the first few and step onto them.
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: You walk a few tiles into the hallway.
18:46 <Olwen>: I press down the next few, and continue.
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: You proceed. About a third of the way down the tunnel the stone dragon raises its head and starts tracking your movements.
18:48 <Olwen>: I pause.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: It does too.
18:49 <Olwen>: Are there tiles where it is standing?
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: There are not. It's up on a pedestal of sorts, with a door in its base.
18:50 <Olwen>: Ooh.
18:50 <Olwen>: Levi, should I make a run for the door?
18:51 <Olwen>: *Leviticus
18:55 Skid_GMing pokes Leviticus.
18:56 <Olwen>: How many tiles between me and the door?
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: 20, if you don't want to skip any.
18:56 <Olwen>: How far acoss are they again?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: About two feet.
18:58 <Olwen>: Do I have any rocks with me?
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: If you've been picking up the ones on the tiles you hit with them.
18:59 <Leviticus>: There's some kind of trick to this
18:59 <Leviticus>: You shouldn't be able to just walk across
18:59 <Olwen>: I dunno, it's taken us long enough.
19:00 <Leviticus>: I would throw a rock on each tile before you step onto it
19:00 <Olwen>: I AM.
19:00 <Olwen>: I've been doing that this whole time.
19:05 <Olwen>: I throw down every other to the door.
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the dragon watches you.
19:05 <Olwen>: Can I tell if it's locked?
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: It's closed and has some kind of handle. Too far away to tell.
19:06 <Olwen>: I make a dash for the door.
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a notice check and an acrobatics check.
19:07 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized perception
19:07 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized perception: 4
19:07 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained acrobatics, 2 effort
19:07 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained acrobatics, 2 effort: 2
19:07 <Olwen>: D:
19:08 <Olwen>: Seriously!
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: As you rush forwards jumping from safe tile to safe tile, the dragon's maw snaps open and fires a lump of flaming liquid at you.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a dodge.
19:10 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:10 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 20
19:10 <Olwen>: :D
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: You flit nimblely between its shots, reaching the door beneath its feet.
19:11 <Olwen>: I try and see if it's open.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: Traps activate randomly behind you as the globs of flaming tar hit them.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: The door is locked.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: You do, however, have the key.
19:12 <Olwen>: Oooh, right.
19:12 <Olwen>: I unlock the door.
19:12 <Leviticus>: Toldya it was a flamethrower
19:13 <Olwen>: Well, I got past
19:13 <Leviticus>: If you happen to find a lever that turns off the dragon behind the door, pull it, eh?
19:14 <Leviticus>: I doubt I would be so lucky
19:14 <Olwen>: Can the dragon reach me here?
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: You find yourself on a narrow staircase leading down a few steps into a circular chamber with a heaping pile of ashes in the center. The dragon's long neck extends down, looking at you upside down through the door.
19:16 <Olwen>: I shut the door.
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Your view of the dragon is cut off.
19:16 <Olwen>: I poke the pile of ashes with a dagger.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: It reaches out and... actually, it does nothing.
19:17 <Olwen>: :P
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus, the dragon goes back to watching you instead.
19:18 <Olwen>: I kick it apart gently
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: You dig into the ash pile, finding a dark sphere with sparkles of glowing ember.
19:20 <Olwen>: I pick it up.
19:20 <Leviticus>: A dark sphere
19:20 <Leviticus>: I think I get it
19:20 <Leviticus>: Bring the sphere out here
19:20 <Leviticus>: The light one activates the creatures, the dark one deactivates them
19:20 <Olwen>: I look around for anything else in the room.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: It takes both hands to lift it, and it rapidly becomes uncomfortable to touch.
19:20 <Olwen>: Can I put it in a bag?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:21 <Olwen>: Why is it uncomfortble?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: It's very hot.
19:21 <Leviticus>: Oh yeah, we still have a camel, huh?
19:21 <Leviticus>: Outside the forge, probably
19:21 <Olwen>: Ak.
19:21 <Leviticus>: It couldn't have gone through the pipe
19:21 <Olwen>: Anything else in the room?
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: There are mostly-depleted stacks of ancient firewood, some metal fire implements, and the walls are covered in the same tiny runes that you found covering the chaos temple.
19:23 <Olwen>: Hmm, for whatever reason they were.. lighting a fire around the sphere.
19:24 <Olwen>: I open the door and look for the dragon.
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check?
19:25 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:25 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 1
19:25 <Olwen>: speciaized
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: The door squeaks as you open it, immediately drawing the stone dragon's attention.
19:26 <Olwen>: Standing well back, I hold up the sphere.
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: From directly above you it fires off a shot straight down without hesitation.
19:28 <Olwen>: Gahh!
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: You're in the doorway right below where it's mounted.
19:28 <Olwen>: Can it get me while I'm inside?
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Also, roll a dodge.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: It can see into there when the door is open.
19:28 <Olwen>: Why am I not standing further back!?!
19:29 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:29 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 13
19:29 <Leviticus>: The sphere... is the egg
19:29 <Olwen>: That's what I thought.
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: You step back into the stairwell and block the shot with the door.
19:30 <Olwen>: Leviticus? I think I need a little help.
19:31 <Olwen>: How about you take the sunbeam and lure a guardian into the tunnel and let it fight with the dragon?
19:34 Skid_GMing pings Leviticus.
19:38 <Olwen>: Ummm...
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Well.
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: You've been doing good so far.
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: But your team seems to be letting you down.
19:41 <Olwen>: I just need out. :P
19:41 <Leviticus>: g2g
19:42 <Olwen>: OK, so continue next week?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
19:43 <Olwen>: OK, bye then.
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: 3 XP for making your way through that solo, and getting ultra lucky on that dodge roll.
19:44 <Olwen>: :D
19:44 <Olwen>: Anything else to know?
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Not really. You've got the dragon's egg. When you have a spellcaster extracting you should be fairly easy.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5105
Age: 101

Cash: 2,133.64
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
An excerpt from the journal of Leviticus Rutter
(Egg Extraction, Sessions 2 & 3)

We continued on our way, discovering a path that led through a glowing river, which Olwen and Gareth quickly found unique ways to cross. Lacking Olwen's acrobatic skills, I followed Gareth. We then came upon a set of three doors, marked with a soldier, a dragon, and an orb, respectively. The first two doors were locked, but the third had been blown off its hinges by an explosion from inside. Upon entering the room, we found a scene of devastation, the remains of blackwood men scattered about, and a tunnel caved in at the far end of the room(which I regret we could not explore). We surmised that the two remaining kittens had come this way, and triggered a trap. We had soon finished searching the room and found a key which conveniently opened the other two doors.

We searched the soldier room next, careful not to trigger the trap, which seemed to be the same as was implemented in the orb room, including intact versions of the blackwood knights. Here we found a most curious object, wrapped in a tangle of blackwood(which I soon dismantled, and should get an XP for doing). It proved to be a magical device, a circle with a radiant center. Strangely, as soon as it was exposed, the blackwood knights began to move. Realizing they were activated by the light, we stowed away the device and quietly exited the room.

Next was the dragon room. Here we found a mystery, as its traps were quite unlike the other rooms. A tiled floor stretched before us, and there were slits at periodic distances along the wall. Most unique of all, though, was the large stone dragon guarding the door at the far end of the hall. It seemed lifeless, but we worried that it may prove otherwise.

We deliberated for quite some time on how best to explore the room. We guessed that the tiles were pressure plates that would activate the traps in the walls. I guessed that the dragon was, in fact, a fire-breather of some sort. After many complicated solutions were suggested, Olwen attempted the rather obvious method, and simply threw rocks on each tile before stepping on it. This seemed too simple to me, and my guess proved correct, as the dragon came to life, and, as I suspected, spit fire at Olwen. She, however, nimbly escaped its shots and entered the door beneath it. Inside, she found a large, black sphere that we presumed was our dragon egg.

But returning from the dragon room proved to raise a larger challenge than entering, as the dragon was now agitated, and seemed likely to incinerate Olwen on sight...

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:13 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14210
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 805.80
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
We contemplated how to enter the room. Closer attention to the dragon statue suggested it was another blackwood guarding, so we had that concern added to the unknown traps. The hallway was too long to bridge, and even if it wasn't we were unsure if the traps were motion activated. If so just covering the floor wouldn't be enough, we needed to block the walls as well. I finally decided to try luring the dragon down the hall to just activate all the traps before we went in. I turned the sun disk on it and like the previous guardians it woke, but remained in place. It seemed we had no choice but to approach.

Olwen began to carefully traverse the floor, finding that only certain tiles were trapped. They activated hidden saw devices. This was good to know, we had been anticipating arrows or some other projectile. If the traps were only affected the immediate area that broadened our options. As Olwen approached the end of the hallway the dragon shot a fiery substance at her, but she managed to duck into the room underneath and close the door. The dragon turned its attention to us, but didn't care to do anything. It seemed to only care about immediate threats. After a while Olwen reappeared holding a large glowing object, presumably the egg we were after. The dragon attacked again though, forcing her back into the room. We had our prize, but needed to find a way to get it out of here.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Our heroes enter the town to find mercenaries recruiting new members and harassing the locals. Bookworm, Woody, and Tikvah each earn 1 XP and 1 XP to give away to a teammate.

Additionally, if I'm counting right, Bookworm earns 2 XP for journalling and Woody earns 1.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
The site is in no way affiliated with Focus on the Family. "Adventures in Odyssey" is the registered trademark of Focus on the Family.