Doctor Who Series Preview

I control you all. Fear me. Bow down to me.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

My money is on her being Susan.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I highly doubt that, because:

1. Susan's original actress is still alive, and is interested in reprising her role at some point.
2. Susan is the Doctor's granddaughter, not his daughter.
3. Susan always called the Doctor "grandfather", never "old man"
4. Susan was never shown to be a Time Lady, only a Gallifreyan...
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Me and my sis just rewatched the 50th anniversary special; it was really nice to see it again \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Woody

Post by Woody »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just incredibly excited about this year's Christmas Special(WARNING: Spoilers!).
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

Woody wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just incredibly excited about this year's Christmas Special(WARNING: Spoilers!).
*screamed when she saw this*

*also was the one to show Woody, for the record*

*screams again*
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Woody wrote:I have a theory, regarding that mysterious woman at the end(played by Maisie Williams). A particular piece of her (incredibly short) dialogue stuck out to me:

"What took you so long, Old Man?"

Now, I suppose this could just refer to Capaldi's grey hair, or to the Doctor's two thousand some odd years, but I kinda think there's something hidden in that title. Ever heard someone refer to their father as their "old man"? Well, let's see then. The Doctor's Daughter... anyone remember Jenny, the Doctor's Non-Gallifreyan Daughter created by a genetic transfer? She was mentioned in last season's finale, if you remember. Could this be a foreshadowing of her return? Most certainly. I can see her having a special dynamic with the 12th Doctor, as he has a bit of a hatred toward soldiers... Anyone remember Jenny's profession? ;)

The only hurdle is that when Jenny regenerated at the end of her episode, she kept the same face... Perhaps that's just some fluke that happened, since it was her first regeneration... which she technically wasn't supposed to be capable of?

I dunno... Something about this character just seems so very Jenny. Particularly her tone of voice... I suppose it could just be wishful thinking, but I certainly hope not! :D
I really want this to be so, but I have a feeling since Maisie Williams is just a guest actress, she won't be assuming any of the old Who (or Jenny's) roles. :/

I was so excited to hear about River's return. I've been really wanting to see how she and 12 will act together...I feel like they'll be great. It will also be refreshing to have the Doctor's wife back, after all of this with Missy. My fear is that they're bringing River back to regenerate her somehow. No. Alex forever. I suppose I could handle it if she regenerated into the right person, but oh please let it not be Tasha. :P

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Belle wrote:
Woody wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

*screamed when she saw this*

*also was the one to show Woody, for the record*

*screams again*
Actually, I saw it before I saw your message :p

Anywho, I'm hoping that, since Clara will likely be gone by Christmas, River will become a new permanent companion. But of course there is that lousy "one psychopath per TARDIS" rule.

Personal crazy theory time! \:D/

River helps the Doctor find Amy and Rory and bring them back as companions. \:D/ Sorry, I need them back. xP

But I have a feeling her involvement will have something to do with Gallifrey. After all, as a Time Lady, it's her home planet too. Just an instinct, but since the Gallifrey arc will probably have picked up by Christmas, there's a decent chance.

And I thought River couldn't regenerate? She gave all her regenerations to the Doctor...
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Clara will be gone by Christmas?

Amy and Rory. <3 Amy would not be pleased with 12, though. ;)

I wonder if the Timelords will accept her since she isn't actually /from/ Gallifrey.

Granted...but that's never stopped them. I was just skipping ahead and assuming Moffat would fix her up too.

Woody

Post by Woody »

Well, Clara will have been the companion for 2 1/2 seasons by the end of Series 9, as well as being the longest running New Who companion. Her time has to be drawing to a close(unfortunately)... Considering she almost left at the end of Series 8 and Last Christmas(heh. heh. heh.), she's likely going to leave either in the Series 9 finale or the Christmas Special.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Ah, gotcha. :) I hope they make her leaving story better than it was going to be in Last Christmas. That one seemed kind of...small. Compared to every other companions. "It was boring."

Now if we had seen her flash backs of some of what she had done in her life and travels, that would have made it okay for me, I think, but..

Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I DON'T WANT CLARA TO LEAVE. :mecry:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Woody

Post by Woody »

I still think Clara should regenerate instead of leaving. ;)

Just picture the Doctor standing over Clara's dead body, when an idea occurs to him. What if he tried using one of his (possibly infinite) regenerations on her? Surprisingly enough, it works and Clara regenerates into Rose(Please no).
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Clara regenerating would be worse because it's Clara with a different personality and different look. :(
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

The Doctor wrote:I still think Clara should regenerate instead of leaving. ;)

Just picture the Doctor standing over Clara's dead body, when an idea occurs to him. What if he tried using one of his (possibly infinite) regenerations on her? Surprisingly enough, it works and Clara regenerates into Rose(Please no).
That'd be interesting. New Who has already used a lot more regeneration plots (Donna/Ten 'regeneration', Ten keeping his face (show off), River) that they did with Old Who.

Ow. No thank you.

Actually I had a dream last night that one of the Tylers did come back. Alternate universe Jackie somehow survived and wasn't Cyber anymore. She came around declaring who she was and demanding things and everyone was like, 'Oh, well this is awkward.' They were saved however. She turned out to be one of those creatures with the eyes on their hands (Season 9 preview) so she wasn't her complete self. Just converted to another alien. :P

Actually that got me thinking. The last time people in Who had 'eyes' on their hands was in 'Fires of Pompeii'. The 'eyes' just didn't actually move and were more painted looking.

SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Welp...I happened to cheat and watch live with Hola...
OH NO YOU DIDN'T MOFFAT
yeah I really doubt Clara and Missy are really exterminated...
BUT SERIOUSLY WILL THE DOCTOR REALLY EXTERMINATE DAVROS?!!
Woody

Post by Woody »

OH MY FREAKING WORD I HATE YOU MOFFAT.
But seriously, did no one else notice the catch? Daleks don't vaporize people. There's always been a body left behind. And all these Daleks are models we've seen before, so they don't have different weaponry... yet, no bodies. Coincidence? No way.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor exterminated Davros.

Oh, and BTW, even if those deaths really did happen, the TARDIS was also destroyed. Without it, there's no show. So, I kinda expect those events will be rewritten.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand I figured it out. Go rewatch the scene where Missy and Clara use the vortex manipulators. Same sound effect is heard after they're "exterminated". Aaaaaaand, guess what they were still wearing when they "died"? Remember, Clara's vortex manipulator is slaved to Missy's, so she could enact the plan without Clara knowing. Makes sense, right? Explains the lack of bodies, for sure.
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

That doesn't explain the TARDIS though...
Woody

Post by Woody »

That will probably be rewritten by a timey-wimey twist. Heck, Clara and Missy may even be the ones to do it.

EDIT: I just figured it out. Rewatching the scene, we never see the TARDIS destroyed, just an implying bright white light. During the time of that light, the TARDIS could've disappeared. The one catch is the noise. But remember The Time of Angels? River said the TARDIS noise is made because the Doctor leaves the brakes on. If Missy was piloting the TARDIS, she wouldn't leave the brakes on, thus eliminating the noise. So, Missy and Clara use the vortex manipulators to get into the TARDIS, then took off in it. This leaves only two questions:

Why use the TARDIS when they have vortex manipulators?

One reason is, as the Doctor says, sports car vs. space hopper. Another is simply to save the TARDIS from destruction. A third is to complete the illusion of the Daleks' victory. Or Moffat just wanted a heck of a cliffhanger(most likely reason).

Why did Missy choose to fake herself and Clara's deaths? Why not just disappear?

Most likely: Moffat shock value.
In universe: Missy loves faking her own death. And perhaps she wants the Doctor to believe they're dead, so he'll commit the unthinkable deed that would save them both. Remember, Missy's mission is to prove that she and the Doctor are no different. If the Doctor kills a child, her point is strengthened.
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

Plus, doing it at the last minute also makes the daleks think they're dead and thus don't go looking after them.
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Really good episode; excited to see where this goes

Till the end of the line.