Ben Affleck is the new Batman.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

This doesn't give me any better of an idea of whether or not I'm going to like the movie much. I didn't care much for Man of Steel, so this will have to be extremely good in order to give me any hope that DC can produce something that will even begin to rival what Marvel has given us.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This hasn’t made me excited for the movie exactly, but it has made me start getting interested. I didn’t know how the Superman vs. Batman thing would come up. It looks Batman is going to be suspicious of Superman showing up and what his intentions are and go check him out. I could see that happening. I also think it’s an interesting angle to show people wary of the superhero like this as opposed to just being ‘Yay we have this guy protecting us now’ and not having any ‘Wait, what is going on here?’
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm definitely interested. But wary at the same time. I'm one of those people who absolutely loved Christopher Nolan's Batman. So I'm automatically going to be very critical of anything that deviates from that Batman. So, yeah, this looks like it has potential, but I'm predisposed not to like it for many reasons. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Wait isn’t Wonder Woman in this too? I had completely forgot. How is that going to work? Seems to be trying to fit too much into one movie. This is all setting up DC’s go at a cinematic universe, they don’t have to do everything at once.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Wait, what? I had heard nothing about Wonder Woman being introduced already... I agree, that's way too much... That's why The Amazing Spiderman 2 failed, in my opinion.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah I had totally forgotten about it because there has been no further news that I saw since the announcement way back, but it was confirmed DC was bringing Wonder Woman into the film universe they’re creating, not with her own title but as a part of this Batman v Superman movie.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

DC Exec: "Hey that Civil War movie that pits two of their biggest heroes against each other after 12 films allowing the plot to culminate over a long period of time looks pretty cool--lets just do that in our second film!"

I think this looks cool but a lot of the impact is lost if Supes and Bats just go at it right away with no build.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 27 Jul 2015 12:25 pm --

New trailer, shows a fuller look at what's going on:

-- 04 Dec 2015 10:03 am --

And an even more extended look:

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

WARNING
Do not watch the trailers unless you want rather large spoilers.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't know. It shows a lot 'more' but I wouldn't call it spoiling. It actually gave more questions then answers to me, personally.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I'm definitely looking forward to this, and I really really like the extended look we've had of Affleck as Batman... I really think he has it nailed a lot better than Bale ever did. Cavill was good in MoS so I expect that to continue.

Still not sold on this version of Lex Luthor. And still not sold on Doomsday being thrown in... as well as Wonder Woman obviously in the trailer here and its pretty much confirmed a bunch of other Justice League types. Just seems like too much of a rush to try to get Avenger money into their pockets.

All that being said it does look good even with my issues with it. I like the concept that Batman is trying to take out Supes because he's just so crazy powerful, and no one should have that much power. I don't think they addressed that theme in previous Superman films. They were too busy having Richard Pryor as the main star back then.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really want to be excited for this, because I do like the concept, or what I thought the concept was, but this looks like a complete mess. This isn't Batman vs Superman anymore, it's Batman backstory, Lex Luther introduction, Wonder Woman dropped in literally out of nowhere as apparently neither of them know who she is, and now Doomsday is in this? It's too much!

This should have been what it claims to be, Batman vs Superman. That story that the first trailer seemed to be setting up I was getting into: The public divided on how to react to Superman after what happened with Zod, Bruce Wayne personally is wary of his great power, while Clark disapproves of Batman's style of justice, so they go at each other initially but eventually work it out. Then in the next movie you bring in Wonder Woman and start toward the Justice League. But doing absolutely everything right out of the gate like they seem to be now, it looks like Batman vs Superman is actually just going to be one small part of this movie.

I'm hoping the actual movie comes together alright and they're just having trouble cutting it into a trailer without coming off awkward and overloaded, but I'm not optimistic.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I agree, they had great concepts and then apparently ruined it all.

Take Doomsday for example. I don't have strong feelings on him one way or the other but he should be saved as a really big deal since *he's the guy that killed Superman.* It looks like yeah, he'll be tough, but the three of them combined can beat him. Kind of ruins the Death of Superman storyarc if they ever decided to go that route... which they probably will if Marvel follows the comics and offs Cap eventually. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:Still not sold on this version of Lex Luthor.
I agree. Not enough cake taking.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

That's the Lex Luthor we need, but don't deserve.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Deleted Scene revealed:

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well...

It wasn't the worst movie I ever saw, I'll give it that.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Have you seen the extended cut or whatever?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

...I have the extended cut but I haven't actually seen it yet. ;)

I've heard it makes some improvements, just haven't had time to watch it. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I still haven't seen either, but I've heard the extended cut does a better job with the buildup. Not enough to make it a better movie, but at least you can see what it was trying to do better.