Star Wars 7 - Warning - SPOILERS inside!

coming soon

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That's part of it also, at the beginning it was clear Kylo wasn't fighting as hard as he could have, he was absolutely toying with Finn. But once again, that's not what I'm having a problem with. It has nothing to do with Kylo and whether or not Finn should have been able to hold up in a fight it's merely that Finn could used the lightsaber itself to attack and parry in the first place, regardless who it was against. They may have loosened the restrictions on effective wielding when they messed with the canon, but as far as I know you can't just activate a lightsaber and start swinging away.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

It's interesting hearing theories about whether or not regular people can use light sabers at all. I read one that said that normal people can try to use them, but it's only Force sensitive people who can use them well, and really have more of an advantage.

At this point, wasn't Rey temporarily down, so Finn was now acting on adrenaline and protectiveness?

I gotta see this movie again

Till the end of the line.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, the Force isn't required for activating it and basic use (remember Han used one on Hoth), but for swinging it around violently to attack someone, or block their attacks, you need the 'sixth sense' of the Force to compensate for the unusual properties it has when used as a weapon (again, not the same thing as a sword) and effectively, or just safely for that matter, wield. But yes, given all the circumstances surrounding that moment it's not unthinkable Finn managed to get by temporarily. I'm not saying there's absolutely no way he wouldn't have cut his own arm off or anything like that, it just made me hesitate a bit. It would be something else entirely if he turned it on and overpowered Kylo like he's used a saber for years. He was clearly just acting on instinct.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Exactly. and like I said, Finn was probably trying to kind of imitate what Kylo was doing. Combined with his own stormtrooper training, and all the things we've already mentioned, "basic use" for Finn extends just a tand farther than the average person.

anyway, did you have a favorite new character?

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Not really, I liked everyone and am interested to see where the whole thing goes from here. :)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Wasn't there a bounty hunter who stole Obi-Wan's lightsaber in one of the Mandalorian arcs in The Clone Wars?
Rey is going to be awesome. Especially if they give her a double bladed lightsaber. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

So, I saw Star Wars 7 the Saturday afternoon of when it came out...and finally decided to post here. :P

My review:
I really enjoyed it. I wasn't super impressed with the beginning, I felt totally lost and the music was way too... much. But, it got better. Rey and Finn are pretty awesome characters, although it seems a little too politically correct to have the main characters be a female and a black guy (did you notice everyone else was white though? :P). I'm not really an OT fan, and I'm especially not a Han fan (*hides from Catspaw*), but I actually kinda liked Han in this movie. O_O He wasn't annoying! :mad: Kylo was an interesting character as well, and I'll be interested to see his development as a bad guy. It did feel like Han's death was held out a little much, not only did it totally seem like the death of Obi-Wan (in a sense), but I think it was pretty obvious Kylo was not going to be redeemed in this episode. All in all it was a fun movie, and I really want to see it again once it comes out on DVD. :D
As for the conversation on here...:
My brother (BlessedCheese) recently saw Star Wars 7 again, and he said that Finn really was not good with the lightsaber at all. He could jab pretty well, but any defense/blocking he was pretty weak at. He, at least, noticed it was a struggle for Finn to wield the lightsaber.
I don't remember that happening, but I haven't re-watched Clone Wars in forever, KF. What does that have to do with Star Wars 7? 0_o
So, who do you (all) think Supreme Leader Snoke is? It's mostly likely Sidious or Plagueis (just to please fans), but I think it would be refreshing just to have a new villain as well. And how about Ren? Is she Luke in a different body? Obi-Wan/Satine's daughter? MAYBE SOMEONE UNRELATED? :mad:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think it's 2015, and the time for more representation in a Star Wars movie has come. And also, Oscar Isaac isn't white. Neither is the actress Lupita Nyong'o who did the motion capture for Maz
Last edited by Shennifer on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Isaiah the Ox wrote: I don't remember that happening, but I haven't re-watched Clone Wars in forever, KF. What does that have to do with Star Wars 7? 0_o
I was bringing it in on the should Finn be able to use a lightsaber argument. Though it's kinda void since I too don't remember if/how that actually happened. :P
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

If I recall, they weren't drawing from any of the expanded universes when they made this movie, just the movies.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Yes but The Clone Wars is still canon. \:D/ Meaning we can totally have more of her if they don't kill her off in Rebels. :(
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

Shennifer wrote:
I think it's 2015, and the time for more representation in a Star Wars movie has come. And also, Oscar Isaac isn't white. Neither is the actress Lupita Nyong'o who did the motion capture for Maz
I know, and totally realize that. I just thought it was rather humorous since the other 6 movies are rather white and male.
Yes, Clone Wars is canon. ^_^ There were a few times where a lightsaber was wielded by a non-Force user in Clone Wars, I believe. I mean, there's Grievous for starters.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:
Shennifer wrote:
I know, and totally realize that. I just thought it was rather humorous since the other 6 movies are rather white and male.
Indeed. It's great they changed it up now

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:There were a few times where a lightsaber was wielded by a non-Force user in Clone Wars, I believe. I mean, there's Grievous for starters.
He was trained by a Force user though. Dooku could have taught him what to expect and how to use it properly. Also because he's a cyborg it could be argued he had the ability to exercise more precise control of his movements than a human would.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:So, I saw Star Wars 7 the Saturday afternoon of when it came out...and finally decided to post here. :P

My review:
I really enjoyed it. I wasn't super impressed with the beginning, I felt totally lost and the music was way too... much. But, it got better. Rey and Finn are pretty awesome characters, although it seems a little too politically correct to have the main characters be a female and a black guy (did you notice everyone else was white though? :P). I'm not really an OT fan, and I'm especially not a Han fan (*hides from Catspaw*), but I actually kinda liked Han in this movie. O_O He wasn't annoying! :mad: Kylo was an interesting character as well, and I'll be interested to see his development as a bad guy. It did feel like Han's death was held out a little much, not only did it totally seem like the death of Obi-Wan (in a sense), but I think it was pretty obvious Kylo was not going to be redeemed in this episode. All in all it was a fun movie, and I really want to see it again once it comes out on DVD. :D
Good hiding! ;)
I understand that some people apparently already thought prior to the release of the movie that Han would probably die, but I had not considered that possibility in the slightest (blinded by love?) ;) so it did come as a surprise. I can see how it can fit powerfully with the story, but I still don't care for it. :noway: Apparently Kathleen Kennedy claimed at the entire cast would be back for the next movie at the premiere, so either she was speaking generally to avoid spoilers (fair enough) or there's some flashbacks or something awaiting us. I could be somewhat appeased with some nice flashback scenes.
Isaiah the Ox wrote:
And how about Ren? Is she Luke in a different body? Obi-Wan/Satine's daughter? MAYBE SOMEONE UNRELATED? :mad:
I have given some thought and read a few different theories (some very odd and some more plausible) and have come to the grand conclusion that I have no idea. I left the theatre fairly convinced that she was Luke's daughter, but when I thought about it more, it felt a bit too easy or obvious. That doesn't mean it isn't the case, just that I have been increasingly less convinced that there aren't a number of other possibilities. I don't know. I've decided to be wishy-washy and await further canonical information before firming up an opinion.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I figured Han was going to die because Harrison Ford was way too enthusiastic during his media appearances. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:
I understand that some people apparently already thought prior to the release of the movie that Han would probably die ... I can see how it can fit powerfully with the story, but I still don't care for it.
It had nothing to do with the story for me, I was sure it would happen simply by virtue of Han being in the movie to any degree. It's been long known that Ford was upset the character didn't die in Empire, begged for him to be killed in Jedi, and pretty much refused to ever reprise the role should the franchise resume unless he was promised it would finally happen. So when he did agree to do this one, the writing was on the wall.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
I understand that some people apparently already thought prior to the release of the movie that Han would probably die ... I can see how it can fit powerfully with the story, but I still don't care for it.
It had nothing to do with the story for me, I was sure it would happen simply by virtue of Han being in the movie to any degree. It's been long known that Ford was upset the character didn't die in Empire, begged for him to be killed in Jedi, and pretty much refused to ever reprise the role should the franchise resume unless he was promised it would finally happen. So when he did agree to do this one, the writing was on the wall.
plus, in the context of how it happened, it would've been too good to be true if Kylo had suddenly decided to turn away from the dark side in the very first movie

Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

Shennifer wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
plus, in the context of how it happened, it would've been too good to be true if Kylo had suddenly decided to turn away from the dark side in the very first movie
That is seriously what I thought when that moment appeared. Especially since we had a redemption in the last sequential movie (Vadar/Anakin), it would be seem too repetitive to do the same again.
BTW, could we just put "*spoilers*" in the subject title and talk without spoilers? :-s
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Ha, I was going to suggest the same thing. >_>