Valentine's Songs

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Valentine's Songs

Post by Pianoman »

My youth group is planning a Sweetheart banquet at our church for Valentine's Day, and I was asked to play piano music for it. I did it last year, and had fun; but I'm now trying to come up with another set list for this year. Does anyone have any songs that they think would go perfect with Valentine's banquets? Last year I did some wedding songs, Disney love songs, classical songs, CCM and hymns... It doesn't really matter, as long as it is more mellow and perfect for background piano while dining. \:D/ Feel free to list songs you've heard at weddings (for example, one wedding I've been to played Concerning Hobbits from LotR ;)), your favorite Disney love songs, or other songs you think I should play. I just want some ideas, and then I'll go about looking for sheet music. :wacky: Thanks in advance! :D
Last edited by Pianoman on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

How about The King of Love My Shepherd Is? \:D/ That was sung at my wedding...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I know you weren't really asking for sheet music recommendations, but the "Simply Beautiful" book by Joseph Martin has a lot of great hymn arrangements. It also has a couple of original pieces, including "Learning to Walk," which I played as my sister's wedding processional. Most of the pieces are really pretty and not too flashy, so I think they make good background music.
BUT what I really, really, REALLY recommend is the sheet music for Pride and Prejudice by Dario Marianelli. Because it's amazing and beautiful and I love it. :inlove:
And if you have time to learn it or already have it in your repertoire, Clair de Lune is always nice. :yes:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love the song "At the Beginning" from the movie Anastasia. That would be a nice one.
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

That's so cool Laura! I'll see if I can find that in my hymnal. :P *hides*

Oh, thanks Petrichor. That first book looks really good, I know (and like) a few of the arrangers. (You do mean the compilation book, by various arrangers?) ^_^ I may add that to my long list of songbooks I want. xD I'll see about some P&P songs... I've already decided to try to do some Star Wars songs, so maybe... :lol:

Oooh, I'll have to look that one up Catspaw! I'm not very knowledgeable with some of the old Disney movies, so I'm glad you recommended it. =)
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Oh, thanks Petrichor. That first book looks really good, I know (and like) a few of the arrangers. (You do mean the compilation book, by various arrangers?) ^_^ I may add that to my long list of songbooks I want. xD I'll see about some P&P songs... I've already decided to try to do some Star Wars songs, so maybe... :lol:
Haha, yes. For some reason I had it in my head that they were only Joseph Martin arrangements (probably because he did write that song I mentioned), but I remember now that it was a bunch of different arrangers. :p

You must do P&P! I will not take "no" for an answer! :x Hah. But if the cost is prohibitive, I've found that you can usually dig up neat little arrangements of Disney/Pixar songs online. I've been having fun with a version of the "Up" theme that I found a few days ago. \:D/
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

That would require buying the book though... :P Do you mostly recommend "Dawn"?

Yaassss, I get a lot of music from online (even though I still prefer the "canon arrangements" found in books :lol: ). I use Musescore a lot, it's a great sheet music site. :mrgreen: Actually, I played "Married Life" for this banquet last year, using an arrangement I found online. :wacky: Thanks for the tips! =)
Last edited by Pianoman on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Isaiah the Ox wrote: Oooh, I'll have to look that one up Catspaw! I'm not very knowledgeable with some of the old Disney movies, so I'm glad you recommended it. =)
Anastasia is not Disney :x
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

IT ISN'T? O________O
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Kaida wrote:
Isaiah the Ox wrote: Oooh, I'll have to look that one up Catspaw! I'm not very knowledgeable with some of the old Disney movies, so I'm glad you recommended it. =)
I actually was going to post that - but without the unfriendly smiley. ;) It is animated, but not a Disney movie. Shocking, I know! :thud:

I was thinking about this thread today and thought of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from The Lion King. \:D/ That one is a Disney movie. ;)
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Catspaw wrote:
Kaida wrote:
I actually was going to post that - but without the unfriendly smiley. ;) It is animated, but not a Disney movie. Shocking, I know! :thud:

I was thinking about this thread today and thought of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" from The Lion King. \:D/ That one is a Disney movie. ;)
Ox knows I love him anyway. =p
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

I could make a joke about the difference between a Texan and a Canadian... but I guess I won't. :mrgreen:

Oh! That's a good one Catspaw. *adds to list*

Unfortunately, I couldn't find sheet music for half of the songs you guys suggested. :( But I think I finally have a list together. I decided to start out with a few "wedding themes," and then go in a pattern of: a "lyrical" song (either from a musical, or a hymn), a classical song, and then a Disney song. I believe I have almost 2 hours of songs planned, so that should be enough for the hour and a half I need to play. :mrgreen: I'll post my list below, if anyone wants to look at it. :P
Wedding March
Bridal March
Canon
Ave Maria
Land of Hope and Glory
Ava Maria
Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee/Joy of Man's Desiring
Arioso
Can you Feel the Love Tonight? (Lion King)
I Surrender All/Pathetique
Fur Elise
Love will Find Away (Lion King 2)
Great is Thy Faithfulness/Liebestraum
Polovtsian Dances
Part of your World (Little Mermaid)
Moment by Moment/Le Cygne
Tristesse Study
Reflection (Mulan)
It is Well/Moonlight Sonata
Clair De Lune
A Whole New Word (Aladdin)
The Lord's My Shepherd/Largo
Homoreske
Someday (Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Amazing Grace/Morning Mood
The Dolly Suite
You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)
I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables)
Swan Lake
Wreck-It Ralph (Wreck-It Ralph)
Castle on a Cloud (Les Miserables)
Evening Prayer
The Force Theme (Star Wars)
On My Own (Les Miserables)
Jupiter
When She Loved me (Toy Story 2)
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (Les Miserables)
To a Wild Rose
Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
Heart Full of Love (Les Miserables)
Barcarolle
Bundle of Joy (Inside Out)
Come Thou Fount
Gymnopedie No. 1
Married Life (Up)
This is My Father's World
The Blue Danube
Once Upon a Dream (Sleeping Beauty)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That looks like a nice variety of songs! Definitely some happier songs than the others but hey, I hear love can't be all fun and roses. ;) The people at your church will be blessed with wonderful music for the evening. :D
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

Yeah... I went for pretty songs.. not all happy songs though. ;)

Well, I just got back from the banquet, and it was great! We had about 16 couples there, and it was really nice. On Wednesday night, my YG decorated everything up with tons of candles, flowers, rose petals... and we strung Christmas lights everywhere in our church. :mrgreen: It looked nice, and the food was awesome (a professional chef goes to our church =0), and... the music was good too, if I do say so myself. xD I only got through about half of my list (and I even cut it down from what I posted up there ^), but it was great. =) Thanks again for the song ideas everyone! \:D/ All the proceeds of the banquet are going towards my youth group's summer mission trip. :wacky:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm happy to hear that everything went well! That sounds like a really nice evening.