Monthly Prayer Group in the Chatroom

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Monthly Prayer Group in the Chatroom

Post by bookworm »

This has been on my heart for a few weeks so I'm going to try to start it up and see if it goes anywhere. I strongly feel we should have regular meetings in the Chatroom where anyone who wants to can come by for some communal prayer. People can give any special prayer requests they have, specific or general, in a more private and comfortable setting than just posting to the board, and know that there are people right then and there joining their prayers to it. One of the special things about having this close Christian community is that we have the opportunity to comfort and strengthen each other spiritually like this, we should be taking advantage of it.

I think once a month seems like a good schedule, and I was thinking of having it on the first of each month because that's easy to remember. If anyone would like to attend the first one will be in just a few days, on Friday July 1st. It won't have an agenda, people can just come in and hang out, make a prayer request if they have one, or just be there in support. It will be a private, respectful time. Anything shared should not be brought outside the meeting unless the person is okay with it. I want everyone to be comfortable being as open as they want to be. But they don't have to be, it's perfectly fine to just ask for general prayer as well.

Depending on how many people come and what happens I'm thinking it would run for about half an hour, but we'll see. The time I had in mind was 8 pm Eastern 5 pm Pacific. If that doesn't work for you but you would otherwise definitely attend let me know and perhaps it can be adjusted, we don't have much time to do it though. We could set a different schedule for the next one though.

We will meet in #prayer on July 1st.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I think it's great that you are taking this idea and running with it. The last time I remember something like this happening was 5 years ago when SNC passed away.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I'd like to join something like that.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love this idea, bookworm! I will try to make it.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Nice to see some initiative being taken. *nods* I may be able to pop in.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

I will make an attempt to pop in. What a great idea!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I made a sig to promote the prayer meetings:

ImageImageImage
logos linked
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Reminder for anyone who is interested, we meet tonight at 8 pm EST in #prayer

-- 01 Jul 2016 06:01 pm --

Well that was discouraging. I was really looking forward to this.
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

Maybe you should have it at a more convenient time for Westerners? :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm sorry, I thought of it this morning, but this evening I was doing a few things in the kitchen with my mom and then totally forgot until right now. :( It still is a really good idea. Hopefully a future date will be better attended.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

It should also be noted that this is a holiday weekend, so some might've had prior plans.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Countess wrote:Maybe you should have it at a more convenient time for Westerners? :P
I requested feedback on the time; no one said it was a problem.

@Bren: I thought of that, but again no one mentioned they couldn't/wouldn't come. All responses were not only supportive of the idea, but affirmative of attendance.

Can we plan a makeup meeting next week? I don't want a whole month to go before trying again.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Hmmm... I see a lesson here...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What's that?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Perhaps, for those interested, people could signup to be on a "mailing list" so you could send a reminder PM (along with posting in this thread) for meetings. I've found PM's work best when making sure people know about events and such.
bookworm wrote:Can we plan a makeup meeting next week? I don't want a whole month to go before trying again.
I say, we should go for it.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn't want it to be a sign up event, but that's not a bad idea at least for the first few, until everyone gets used to expecting it.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

bookworm wrote:What's that?
Sometimes we just let stuff get in the way of our relationship with God. Alot of this stuff isn't bad in itself, but it becomes bad when it interferes with God.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

SimplyDredge wrote:
Sometimes we just let stuff get in the way of our relationship with God. Alot of this stuff isn't bad in itself, but it becomes bad when it interferes with God.
So basically, you're saying those that were with their church youth group were wrong? :-
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Bren wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
So basically, you're saying those that were with their church youth group were wrong? :-
Then again, who outside of a church building actually uses the term "youth group"? :-k
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Would it be definitely better or worse for anyone to move it back an hour to 9E/6P then? I don't want it to be too late for folks on the East coast.