What's been happening in Odyssey since the reboot?

All the spoilers, please

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Ferder
Pilgrim

What's been happening in Odyssey since the reboot?

Post by Ferder »

It's been over six years since I stopped listening to AIO. Until that point i had heard almost every single episode (and of course used to requent this board regularly).

I stopped listening to AIO around the time the series did a soft-reboot and cast Andre Stojka as Whit.

The only news I've heard since has been the sad announcements of the deaths of all the classic actors (Walk Edmiston, Alan Young, Dave Madden, Janet Waldo). Did the show do anything to write these characters out?

I also heard that AIO has gone to a subscription-based model and no longer airs on the radio. This has made it harder than ever to find album or episode synopsis.

It's weird to think that Odyssey has just kept on going, even though I no longer "visit" it any more. I'd like to know what the characters are up to now. What's been happening in the lives of Whit, Connie, Eugene, Jason and Wooton? (I don't know anything about the new families or kids on Odyssey so I don't care too much about them).

Weddings? Funerals? Births? Career changes? Major villains? I wanna hear about all of them!

Thanks!
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I haven't been listening in a bit, but I kept listening after the reboot some. Some of this information may be out of date.
  • Connie's mother died.
  • Wooton gained a love interest named Penny, and I think they got married.
  • Eugene and Katrina adopted a child.
Also, AiO still plays on the radio, though there are subscription only episodes.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Synopsis of AIO changes:
Bernard Walton, Tom Riley, Jack and Joanne Allen, and June Kendall all have died. Waldo voiced June and Joanne. Her death was the only death reported on the show, in Album 57. The death was dramatized.
Wooton Bassett meets Penny Wise. The two are almost in the exact same mental condition and consequently are engaged. Their projected wedding takes place in Album 61.
Mitch returns and marries someone else; details at 11.
Odyssey's status in the sports world has declined considerably since Album 50. The decline began with a sabotage scandal.
Spencer Hicks succeeds Margaret Faye as mayor of Odyssey, winning the election by a wide margin in an open primary.
Last edited by Dredge on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Boy, here's a name from the past :)

I quit listening at the same time and then went to the live show in Dallas. While there I heard pieces of new episodes and decided to give the show a shot again. It hasn't really disappointed. Album 51 was shaky as they were getting their legs back, but after that it was solid. I'd advise you to give the new episodes a listen.

edit--I wasn't aware of Janet Waldo's death until reading it here. There has been too much of this lately.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

June Kendall was played by Maggie Malooly (still alive, as far as I know), not Janet Waldo. Janet played Joanne Allen and Maureen Hodges.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

In no particular order:

-Eugene and Katrina learned that they were unable to have children of their own. Since then they have taken in a foster (not adopted) son named Buck Oliver.
-Penny Wise moved to town and became Connie's friend and roommate. She also met Wooton and the two of them fell in love. Wooton;s cousin Hadley came for a visit and accidentally burned Wooton's house down. Wooton asked Penny to marry him and the wedding is slated to take place in Album 61.
-Connie's mother died from heart problems. Connie found out that she has a half-sister, Jules, after her dad brought said half-sister to Odyssey with him for June's funeral. Jules returned to Odyssey and got mixed up with a shady comic book corporation that was using her to get information on Wooton. She's slated to return in album 62.
-Jason returned to Odyssey for good in album 56, having permanently retired from the spy business (again). He is now the owner of J&J Antiques.
-Jack and Joanne Allen retired to Scotland and passed ownership of the antique shop to Jason. Unlike their voice actors Alan Young and Janet Waldo they have not passed away.
-While it has not been confirmed that Tom and Bernard are deceased like their actors, Walker Edmiston and Dave Madden, they have not been heard from since album 50. Well, Bernard was used in a couple of the subscription-only episodes but since I don't have the subscription I don't know the context of it. Additionally Edwin Blackgaard has also been absent since album 50 with the exception of a couple subscription-only episodes - the same ones that Bernard was in.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Yeah, Bernard had a single line in a Kids' Radio episode (Pinocchio: The Tale of a Foolish Puppet, Part 2). The line was lifted from By Any Other Name if I recall correctly. Earl Boen was also in it with a larger part, presumably as Edwin acting on the radio, and that was original audio.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

-Jerry Whittaker came back and murdered a bunch of people due to his PTSD from Vietnam
-Whit had to kill him :(
-Jimmy Barclay runs the Connellsville Whit's End
-A crossover episode with "The Simpsons" is slated for album 62
-Dr. Blackgaard came back and revealed it was his brother's body in the tunnel 20ish years and that he assumed his identity
-The recording for the planned "last episode" leaked where Otis Campbell wakes up in the Mayberry jail cell and tells Barney Fife he just had the strangest dream where he was an old man running an ice cream shop, and also a spy
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote:
-Jerry Whittaker came back and murdered a bunch of people due to his PTSD from Vietnam
-Dr. Blackgaard came back and revealed it was his brother's body in the tunnel 20ish years and that he assumed his identity
-The recording for the planned "last episode" leaked where Otis Campbell wakes up in the Mayberry jail cell and tells Barney Fife he just had the strangest dream where he was an old man running an ice cream shop, and also a spy
Adventures in Odyssey just go RAWR(real).
Last edited by snubs on Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Calhoun07
Not as new

Post by Calhoun07 »

The Top Crusader wrote:-Jerry Whittaker came back and murdered a bunch of people due to his PTSD from Vietnam
=D> =P~ #-o :D :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Man, that's the only way I want to see the series end now!
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Calhoun07 wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:-Jerry Whittaker came back and murdered a bunch of people due to his PTSD from Vietnam
=D> =P~ #-o :D :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Man, that's the only way I want to see the series end now!
Oh, my, goodness. I'm never going to be able to experience AIO the same again. =D>