current state of the board

Is the ToO dead

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

How dead is the ToO?

dead
50%
really read
50%

Total votes: 8

Tea Ess
Animatronic

current state of the board

Post by Tea Ess »

Recently, I've had a growing concern that the ToO will simply never return to its old levels of activity. Some of the forums go weeks without a single post, nearly every faction is inactive, and there's no threads I think are interesting anymore. :sniff:

I've included this helpful graphic to demonstrate the ToO's lack of activity:

As you can see, we were holding a relatively stable activity rate at about 400-500 until recently. Can the ToO ever recover from this? Or is the board dead for good? :(

Here's a thread that further documents the extended lack of life on the board.
Last edited by Tea Ess on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Will the board ever return to it's previous levels? No.

Is the board dead? Nope. Out of all the forums I've been on over the years for fandoms this remains the most active.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Hmmm. What does the x-axis represent? Posts per...something? Active members?
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

The mere fact that we are talking here means that the ToO isn't completely dead. However, I do think that because the ToO is failing to recruit new members, over the long term ToO is likely to decline in activity. :-( Unless we attract new members,* the ToO will go inactive as members go inactive never to comeback.

Here is another chart:
Y axis is votes in election. X is the election number. This chart doesn't seem to show the dramatic drop off that your chart does. It also seems to predict that the last ToO member will leave around election 40 or so (assuming a linear trend).

If you want to increase there are two things you can do:
Post content, particularly new threads, because new threads inspire people to post more.
Recruit new members. However, I am unsure why a new member would want to join. Unless they love counting or something.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

It is true that our main problem is the fact that we don't regularly get new members (new members that actually stick around and post). As the older members get older and busier things will continue to stay relatively inactive and likely decline with only little bursts of activity.

I certainly can see myself drifting farther and farther from the ToO as the future approaches, however, I can't imagine myself leaving completely (unless there is absolutely no activity).
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

So if it wasn't clear, my post was mostly tongue in cheek, and the graph was just numbers I put into Excel, they aren't based off of anything.

I made this thread in celebration of a little known ToO holiday called "Is the ToO Dead Day." The holiday officially began in 2014, but it's been noted that similar threads mourning the death of the ToO tend to appear at the end of summer, after a typical period of depressed activity. I unfortunately forgot to make the official thread last year, although I did create some real graphs with election data to celebrate. My post here was mostly sarcastic, as I don't believe the ToO is actually dead, although discussions about increasing activity are certainly good to have.
Last edited by Tea Ess on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Haha, I could tell that your graph was in jest and wasn't really based on any real statistics. :p

I was going to mention how I was a little annoyed with yet another "THE ToO IS DYING" thread, but I forgot about the ToO Dead Day, so I guess it's okay. ;)
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

snubs wrote:Haha, I could tell that your graph was in jest and wasn't really based on any real statistics. :p
I assumed that Tea Ess was doing real data collection because that is how it feels the ToO's active (though this is likely from me being less active on the ToO for the past few months which make the site feel less active.)

(I also kept thinking that Tea Ess was Irwin) because of the avatar.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

snubs wrote:Haha, I could tell that your graph was in jest and wasn't really based on any real statistics. :p
Okay, good. =p
snubs wrote:I was going to mention how I was a little annoyed with yet another "THE ToO IS DYING" thread, but I forgot about the ToO Dead Day, so I guess it's okay.
Yeah, there have been a lot of these posts over the last few years. We could make a faction just for complaining about the lack of activity on the ToO.
Moontide wrote:I assumed that Tea Ess was doing real data collection because that is how it feels the ToO's active (though this is likely from me being less active on the ToO for the past few months which make the site feel less active.)
Yeah, it does follow the general pattern in your election graph (which looks very nice by the way), but as you noted the steep drop off isn't realistic.
Moontide wrote:(I also kept thinking that Tea Ess was Irwin) because of the avatar.
This has been an unfortunate issue I've struggled with before. :( I've traditionally only used avatars of Dr. Blackgaard, as well as some specialty ones from roulettes and contests, but in the past I've tried to use different versions so I don't get confused with Irwin.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

The ToO is not neccesarily dying. Rather, the ToO is getting older and is in a deteriorated physical state as it continues to bleed. In fact, the ToO's elections no longer nurture competition because outrageous pricing means that one must be very well-connected with those housing usable equity in order to afford the massive cost of running. I think it's time to consider redoing the election system into something more doable, like a Lousiana primary with a $100 entry fee.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

@SimplyDredge: You are way too obsessed with the elections..
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

snubs wrote:@SimplyDredge: You are way too obsessed with the elections..
Who knows? All I know is we're doing something wrong when you can carry a punch card with all the users' names on it in your back pocket when you're running for mayor.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

In defence of lowing election fees, with lower levels of activity it is harder to earn money; however, because there is no way to earn interest*, the rich are only rich because they don't spend their funds.

The other reason that teams are struggling to raise funds is lack of support than to high fees.

*almost. (Though still no way to earn significant amounts.)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I earned a lot of my money from my auction house. :- And in contests.
Last edited by snubs on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

The election fees did get quite high, but if I remember right they were brought down to more reasonable levels in the past few elections. I like the idea of fundraising, but I would hate for willing and capable people to be ineligible because they couldn't raise enough.
Moontide wrote:*almost. (Though still no way to earn significant amounts.
Legally. :laughat:
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

snubs wrote:I earned a lot of my money from my auction house. :- And in contests.
I meant earning just from money with no effort. Like if interest worked in the bank, then the rich people could stay rich without any effort.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Now with a poll! \:D/
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

I vote really read.
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Well, to me it actually feels like activity might be going up a little bit right now because of old users returning, like Dr. Watson and Bob.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Agent 86 wrote:I vote really read.
Oops. :anxious: I think I'll just leave it like that.
Moontide wrote:Well, to me it actually feels like activity might be going up a little bit right now because of old users returning, like Dr. Watson and Bob.
I'd agree with you. Old members coming back is one of the neat parts of the ToO, and they always stir up more activity. CCDS has been more active recently too.