US Election 2016 General Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I voted for:

Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
No votes
Donald Trump and Mike Pence
56%
Gary Johnson Bill Weld
11%
Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka
No votes
Evan McMullin and Nathan Johnson
22%
Darrell Castle and Scott Bradley
11%
Write in or other third party
No votes

Total votes: 18

Tea Ess
Animatronic

US Election 2016 General Discussion Topic

Post by Tea Ess »

We don't have a general, non-debate thread for the election so I'm making this one in hopes we'll get at least some discussion. We already have a topic specifically for Nate Silver's forecast here, but I'm including some of the election predictions anyway.

Nate Silver's 538 model gives Hillary Clinton a 71.4% chance of winning the election, with an expected amount of 302.2 electoral votes, leaving Trump 235. The popular vote is expected to be split 48.5% to 44.9%, and Gary Johnson has a shot at getting the Libertarian party more recognition with his expected 5%.

270 to Win is another forecast that allows the user to customize an electoral map based on whether they think states will go red or blue. The Sabato Crystal Ball option groups states by competitiveness, with a possible result of Clinton winning 322 votes and Trump 216.

This evaluation of betting markets gives Hillary an 83% chance of winning, with significantly higher chances in Florida, North Carolina, and Nevada than Nate Silver predicts.

The election is far from certain, however, as the national polls are within the margin of error, and several key states are in very close competition.

Post your thoughts and comments below. \:D/
Last edited by Tea Ess on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Everyone on the chat already knows my thoughts on the election, but for those who don't go on the chat I voted for Trump! #MAGA :D
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I personally voted for Gary Johnson in hopes that the Libertarian party gets above 5% of the popular vote. My home state of Indiana is very solidly red, so I didn't feel as strong of an obligation to vote for Clinton.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I voted for Evan McMullin. I wasn't going to vote for one of the two major candidates. I considered voting for Johnson, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

If everyone who votes here leaves a post stating their home state, I can make an election map afterwards showing how it would have gone if only ToO votes counted.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

I cant vote but almost everyone knows I would vote for Donald Trump. :pray: :pray: :pray: If Hillary wins I don't know what I will do ](*,) :- Well....I will just be moooooovin along! :p
Oh and Minnesota ;)
Last edited by Kathy0 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

That would be awesome, Bob! I can guess already. \:D/
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I can't vote, unfortunately, as I'm still two months from being 18.

If I could vote, however, I would most certainly be voting for Evan McMullin. As a conservative living in solidly blue California, there's absolutely no way a vote for Trump would influence anything, even if I could persuade myself to support him. Thus, I would want to cast a protest vote for someone I feel more accurately represents me. Here's hoping for a legitimization of third party and independent candidates.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Woody wrote:If I could vote, however, I would most certainly be voting for Evan McMullin. As a conservative living in solidly blue California, there's absolutely no way a vote for Trump would influence anything, even if I could persuade myself to support him. Thus, I would want to cast a protest vote for someone I feel more accurately represents me. Here's hoping for a legitimization of third party and independent candidates.
Hear, hear! \:D/

Clinton is behind in Virginia right now, which is incredibly concerning, but otherwise she's winning where she needs to be. Hopefully they just haven't gotten to the strongest Democratic areas in VA yet.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yes, I voted Trump, because there is no way I was going with Hillary. And though I think Trump is a terrible politician, I firmly believe he is the lesser of two evils.

I debated long and hard about voting Libertarian (up until last night!), but didn't because voting third party in my state poses a bigger risk of Hillary winning it (which unfortunately looks like she will). That said, I'm with Tea Ess, in hoping that Gary Johnson can secure at least 5% of the vote.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Yeah, I'm definitely hoping for strong support for Johnson. It could be quite close to 5%, so let's hope it's over.

Clinton might take Virginia now, but will probably lose North Carolina and Florida. She needs to get Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan.

-- less than a minute ago --

I should have just gone to bed early because this is stressing me out way too much. =/
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I can't vote yet, but I would have voted for Trump because I can't stand Hillary. Definitely the lesser of two evils. I know a ton of people who said they weren't going to vote, but then they ended up voting for Trump just because he's not Hillary. I live in Oregon so we get the awesome ballots in the mail and we don't have to stand in line for anything. Even though it is ALWAYS democratic.
Yo
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Tea Ess wrote:I should have just gone to bed early because this is stressing me out way too much. =/
You are right, this is very stressful. =| And I am so tired. :boohoo:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I think the problem I have with the independent parties is that they never win- they just pull away votes from the Republican party.
Yo
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Mariogeek wrote:I think the problem I have with the independent parties is that they never win- they just pull away votes from the Republican party.
It goes the other way too, especially for the Green Party. Really the problem is having a political system that forces people to choose between two parties.

I hate everything. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So that just happened. I think.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

This is the most stunning outcome since '48, and possibly in American history.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

So everything is not perfectly set in stone yet, but it would seem that ignorant evil has beaten pragmatic evil. Best of the reasonably possible outcomes.
~ Walker in Dreams
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

That's a nice way to put it :yes:
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

It took a while, but I came to have a very good understanding of this election. One could also word it inefficient evil vs efficient evil.
~ Walker in Dreams
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:It took a while, but I came to have a very good understanding of this election. One could also word it inefficient evil vs efficient evil.
That's an interesting, yet accurate way of describing the situation. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset