What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished On This Foundation by Lynn Austin, excellent book and excellent trilogy. I'm sad to see that trilogy end. Ms. Austin is one of my favorite authors. Up next for me is Anchor in the Storm by Sarah Sundin. It is the second book in her Waves of Freedom trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "Rekindled" by Tamera Alexander. Big surprise in my choice of author, right? ;) I've read it before but not for several years, so I'm looking forward to reading it again!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Anchor in the Storm, excellent book. I have to wait now until next year for the third book to release. Up next for me is An Elegant Facade by Kristi Ann Hunter. I'm also re reading the entire Baxter family saga by Karen Kingsbury because yesterday a Christmas novella entitled A Baxter Family Christmas went on sale and I have been wanting it since I discovered it online. I bought my copy at Lifeway. I want to re read the all of the series because I want to refresh my memory and it's been a while since I read the earlier series. Plus, it will make the novella easier to read with the whole story fresh in my mind.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Finished reading Coraline yesterday. I had seen the movie and wondered how different the book was. They were pretty close to being the same. I enjoyed both.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I just started the Maze Runner series. 8-)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

I started rereading Book #3 of the Mindwar Trilogy, Game Over.
Resident JRPG nut
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I am in book three of Pride and Prejudice, now that I have seen the movie I will understand what is going on a little better.
Yo
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm still in the process of reading The Maze Runner, which reminds me of Lord of The Flies... :? It's a good read.

And also, Owari No Seraph, which was recommend by Blitz. It's my first magna.
:D
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

Ok, so I have not read this recently but, I LOVE it! "The Book Theif" Is a great book! I love it! Its wonderful!
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Kathy0 wrote:Ok, so I have not read this recently but, I LOVE it! "The Book Theif" Is a great book! I love it! Its wonderful!
Ugh. I still have to remember to read that one, it sounds beautiful. :)

Update, I finished the first book in the Maze Runner series, working on The Scorch Trials. It's interesting really, different than I'm used to. I mean, I have read The Hunger Games, where similar events occur. The characters seem more relatable though...
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

GJFH wrote:
Kathy0 wrote:Ok, so I have not read this recently but, I LOVE it! "The Book Theif" Is a great book! I love it! Its wonderful!
Ugh. I still have to remember to read that one, it sounds beautiful. :)

Update, I finished the first book in the Maze Runner series, working on The Scorch Trials. It's interesting really, different than I'm used to. I mean, I have read The Hunger Games, where similar events occur. The characters seem more relatable though...
It really sad though. Like REALLY sad.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Mariogeek wrote:I am in book three of Pride and Prejudice, now that I have seen the movie I will understand what is going on a little better.
The first time I read "Pride and Prejudice" (many years ago) I found it hard to follow, but seeing the movie (in my case, the 5-hour version) really helped because you get an idea of the plot and characters and tone for some lines, and then when I read the book again I loved it! I've read it at least half a dozen times, if not more, over the years. I hope that the same works for you and that you enjoy Jane Austen's literary genius. :D

I'm reading "Reading in the Wild" by Donalyn Miller. It's about reading and the good habits and traits that lifelong readers share. Very interesting!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished A Elegant Facade, very good. This book had a twist in it that I've never encountered before. I've also read A Season of Angels which is the 13th book in the late Thomas Kinkade's Cape Light series, also very good. I love that series. Up next for me is Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene. This is the first book in her Zion Covenant series. I read it once years ago but never got around to reading the entire series.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth GIlbert

Myeh.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Vienna Prelude, very good and very sad given the time period in which it is set. Up next for me is the second book Prague Counterpoint. I'm also reading Sheperds Abiding by Jan Karon.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Edgedancer. New Stormlight novella by Brandon Sanderson. Delightful.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

I'm starting the Brother Cadfael mysteries (weelll, starting with the third in the series because that's the first one our library has!).
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Rereading Peter Pan. =D
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Fun, Kaida! I've been meaning to do that myself one day and even picked up a cheap copy at a used book sale a while back, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. :anxious:

I'm reading "Lady Undaunted," a novel by Tamara Leigh. Very interesting so far! I know my best friend will like it too, so I need to finish it so I can pass it on to her!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Prague Counterpoint, excellent. Up next for me is The Cherished Quilt by Amy Clipston. It is the third book in her Amish Heirloom series.