Adventures in Odyssey Club going to have rewards points?

Hey, guys, look what I found

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Adventures in Odyssey Club going to have rewards points?

Post by Mariogeek »

You can view the little article I wrote at the link, just to begin with a shameless promotion of my blog. https://odysseynerds.wordpress.com/2017 ... ve-points/
So. I was looking through the Adventures In Odyssey Club website HTML and I found this:
So does the Club already have points that I don't know about or is this actually a real piece of news? Maybe they will do this in the future, or decided not to and never took it down?
Yo
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

That's awfully bizarre, but I can't get over the hilarious hipster filler text in that article.

Also, I noticed the link to the previous article; thanks so much for posting our new Oddcast episodes, that's really cool! Also, really quick work, I just uploaded that episode last night!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

What part of the code are those in? I assume the lines are commented out, but I don't see that in the snippets you posted.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

bookworm wrote:What part of the code are those in? I assume the lines are commented out, but I don't see that in the snippets you posted.
If I understand the question right, this was/is supposed to be in the FAQ page of the AIOC, as you can see from the text circled in red on the snapshot. There's questions, and text under those questions that have the answers. In this code, you can see the questions, but not the answers. So if you go to the FAQ page you can see the other questions in that snapshot in a slightly different form. As you can see, 'What is a web quest', 'Can I skip a web quest', etc. are present on the user FAQ page, but the one about Odyssey Points is not.
So, theoretically, the FAQ on 'Odyssey Points' should be a tab in the FAQ page and then there should be bullet points on the subject in the FAQ according to the code, but it's not there.

And I probably just explained it in the wrong way so if you're still confused please let me know.
Yo
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Maybe they were thinking about it but decided not to, but that part of the code got left that way? That is quite odd!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Mariogeek wrote:I probably just explained it in the wrong way so if you're still confused please let me know.
I can see where on the page that was intended to go (though I can't find that page, do you have to have an account to see it?), I was trying to identify the part in the code itself where that section is commented out to prevent it from appearing on the page. I don't see comment marks in the part of the code you posted, which confused me because the other lines around that section are displayed on the page, so they can't be outside that snippet or none of that would be appearing.

Though now that you show the page itself, comparing it to the code I see things are in a different order, so perhaps this is an entirely unused section of code that is all commented out, which would be why the marks aren't shown in the bit you posted. I'm just curious as to where exactly that code is or isn't coming from, but I can't find out without poking at it myself and as I said I can't find that webpage.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Yes you do have to be a member to see it, unfortunately. I remember thinking that they need to put the FAQ page on the outside of the Club otherwise it has like no use at all. It's actually under your profile picture if you click on it, it's called "help"
However, you could sign up for a free trial if you haven't already at oaclub.org/trial.

I also noticed that it is in a different order, yes, I have no idea why, I'm not actually that technical with things. So if you know please tell me...

I actually don't know if this is specific to my browser but try this: view-source:https://www.oaclub.org/club#
Or if your browser has the view page source function then open it up and replace the link with https://www.oaclub.org/club#
Last edited by Mariogeek on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Mariogeek wrote:I also noticed that it is in a different order, yes, I have no idea why, I'm not actually that technical with things. So if you know please tell me...
It has to be duplicate code that is entirely commented out. My guess would be between the original writeup and the decision to not have points that section of the code was copied and pasted somewhere else, the point part was removed and the other stuff reordered, and that was what they ended up implementing on the page to be displayed. My confusion was why the original was left in the code if unused, and where exactly it was located. Just out of personal curiosity really.
Mariogeek wrote:I actually don't know if this is specific to my browser but try this: view-source:https://www.oaclub.org/club#
That actually works! I can see the full source code now, I'll take a look around.

Edit:

Okay I understand now. The page isn't using just HTML, it's using JsRender. That block of code is one of several templates. Basically the site displays different things on the page under different circumstances, and one possibility is showing that list with a points section. Whether the conditions the make that page appear actually exist or if it is just unused code because the idea was abandoned as you suggest I am unable to determine.

Additional details in case I, or someone else, wants to try investigating further sometime:
The code for the FAQ block as displayed on the page is in the section with id="tmpl_page_faq"
The code for the FAQ block that is in a different order and mentions points has id="tmpl_page_help"
The Lorem Ipsum placeholders are used in id="tmpl_page_home"
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Interesting. Thanks for taking a look, I understand it better myself now, which makes me even more curious!
I know you said you can't determine if it's unused or future, but I have to wonder if they aren't making an alternate build that they will release at a future date.
Last edited by Mariogeek on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That could well be the case also, it makes more sense for the code to be there because they're preparing a new template for eventual use than because it's one they decided to not use and never removed.

But then again, the template that was definitely only a temporary placeholder (Lorem Ipsum) wasn't removed either, so that's what makes me wonder if they just didn't ever bother to clean out unused code.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I wonder what the points would actually do? Maybe you could buy an actual MP3 download or something? Or cash in 1,000 points and get a Whit mustache! :shock:
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

The Top Crusader wrote:Or cash in 1,000 points and get a Whit mustache! :shock:
Yeah! 8-) sign me on for that! :whit:
Or maybe a Wooton hat, that would be cool.

-- Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:03 am --

Hey guys! I recently interviewed Nathan Hoobler over the phone and he confirmed that they are working on this idea. He isn't directly involved but he said that it's down the pipeline, but not within the next few months.
Yo