811 & 812: Legacy

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you give out of 5 stars to Legacy Part 1?

33%
33%
17%
17%
No votes

Total votes: 6

Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

811 & 812: Legacy

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Legacy is a very good episode
but Tom is dead :( :boohoo: . WHY,ODYSSEY,WHY?
Last edited by Monty_Whittaker on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident JRPG nut
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Can you put that in a spoiler tag, or put "SPOILER" in the title please? I don't really care, but there are a lot of people who would be seriously disappointed to have that ruined for them.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Monty_Whittaker

Did that.
Resident JRPG nut
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Thank you.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Monty_Whittaker

You are most welcome.
Resident JRPG nut
Autumnal
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Autumnal »

I knew that the actor had died but I didn't expect the writers to actually kill off the character. A bunch of characters are dropping dead, huh? Glad to hear that his sister still exists, though!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Well, this spoiler is actually making me consider getting back into Odyssey. I haven't listened since Album 60. One question:
Is Tom's 'Legacy' actually honored? I've heard a few mixed reviews that the tone of the episode is all over the place between silly and somber.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Woody wrote:Well, this spoiler is actually making me consider getting back into Odyssey. I haven't listened since Album 60. One question:
Is Tom's 'Legacy' actually honored? I've heard a few mixed reviews that the tone of the episode is all over the place between silly and somber.
I wrote a review for part one that you can read right now on odysseynerds.wordpress.com, and the review for part two is coming out this Saturday.
In answer to your question, which can be also answered on Saturday:
Bringing back Tom and the Timothy center was very sobering and a somber moment in Part 1, Eugene and Connie even start crying and it sounds kind of like when Mitch "died". However by the end of part two I realized it was nothing more than a cheap trick to have a place for a musical and a happy ending. If you refer to my review of part one, you'll see that I mention having that band play at "Riley's Farm" is not original. There actually is a Riley's farm, and Will Ryan and the Saguaro Sisters actually play there, which in the end shows that bringing back Tom Riley was nothing more than an excuse to be ridiculously true to life, and to have a place for Carno and the Wondrous Wescott Girls to reside for a happy ending. In other words, I seriously doubt we will be seeing either the singers or the farm again. So part one was great when I thought this was going in a different direction, part two STINKS, also because there was no substance to it. The musical (Not a great one story-wise though Will and the Saguaro Sisters did a good job). Then the end. You'll have to read my review this Saturday for a better picture because I write these reviews ten minutes after I listen to the episode.
And then I was going to say why aren't you into Odyssey, and then you said Album 60 and then I completely understood yes. However, if you care to listen, Connie the Counselor is the first and best episode in Album 62, so if you want a good episode to listen to then do that one. And Old Tricks which is the third episode in Album 61. Other than that... yeah.... maybe A Very Basset Wedding which is at the end of 61. You could listen to those four episodes and not have missed a thing pretty much.
Last edited by Mariogeek on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I concur with the odd tone of these episodes. I was shocked when they said that Tom had been dead for years. It made me unexpectedly sad, considering that I already knew about Walker Edminston's death. :( But then the next episode was almost 100% a peppy musical, with practically no mention of Tom? It felt strange, and I didn't think it was a fitting sendoff for such a beloved character. They also never addressed what would happen to the Timothy Center, which honestly would have been a much bigger part of Tom's legacy than the farm. Also, what happens to Agnes now? Tom is gone, Joanne is gone... Is she at Hillingdale Haven all by herself forever? And will they say anything about Bart? I doubt they'll address these issues, but I wish they would.

It also makes me wonder if they're going to address the deaths of other characters. I particularly think they should offer at least some tribute to Bernard. After all, Jack and Joanne were nicely written out of the show, but I don't think Bernard got anything like that, unless it was in an OAC episode I never heard.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Legacy, Part 1 broadcast on 2021-12-02.
My thoughts
The show wants to remember Tom Riley, and I want to remember him too, but we don't actually review any of the stuff he did or how he impacted people's lives. I don't care about Becky Riley, and I don't care about some goofy-sounding traveling singers that sound more in-place in Patch the Pirate than they do in Odyssey.

The only good bits of this episode are:
* The beginning of closure for the asbence of Tom Riley
* Connie and Eugene fighting for a bit
* We learned something interesting about Jules: she can sing.

Boo, 2/5. Tom deserved better.

My responses to above posts
Bleh, we're going to hear more from these silly singers? I guess we don't need to linger on the death of a character. I realize the writers had to pick a time to write about the death of a character, but a will really shouldn't be executed 6 years after a person died. I suppose it might happen, but that's extreme.

Part 2
Legacy, Part 2 broadcast on 2021-12-03.
A show "entitled" with a name? A classically-trained thespian would never make that mistake. I'm shockedsurprised a professional writer did.

I think Tom's name wasn't even mentioned in this entire episode. This felt like a random, one-off episode, that I didn't care about. 1/5
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: