What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just got "An Uncommon Courtship" by Kristi Ann Hunter, so I immediately started reading it that day, finished it the next day, and then felt compelled to go back and read earlier books in her Hawthorne House series because I was reminded of how much I love her books and her characters! I read the e-novella that starts the series, "A Lady of Esteem," and then started the first full-length book, "A Noble Masquerade." Good times! \:D/
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Agh! All those book reading! It is fantastic, I feel inclined to read more consistently, as it is healthy to do so.

I recently read The Children of Húrin by J.RR Tolkien, the prequel to The Lord of the Rings, and perhaps included in the silmarillion, I'm not sure. It was a thrilling story, even if it isn't the cheeriest, and I thoroughly enjoyed the characters. Now I look forward to reading more fantasy novels. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! I hope that this thread encourages people to read more. It is healthy for you, and fun too. :D

I've never read that book, but I have thought that I should eventually get around to it. I'm not a hardcore Tolkien fan, but I did enjoy The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I just read "A Change of Fortune" by Jen Turano. This is the first book of hers that I have read, but a friend recommended her books, so I expected to like them. It was quite fun. A little more of the fun side than the historically detailed side, but I'm okay with something a tad lighter. I just started the next book by that author, "A Most Peculiar Circumstance," and I'm really enjoying it so far! She writes great characters.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Always Watching by Lynette Eason yesterday, excellent book that keep me turning the pages. I love books that do that!! Now I am reading You're the One That I Want by Susan May Warren. The final book in her Christansen Family series. I'm loving the beginning. It's making me feel like I'm watching Deadliest Catch.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love all of Susan May Warren's books, but that definitely was a good one! :D

I just started "A Talent for Trouble" by Jen Turano. It's interesting so far. The main characters were minor characters in the last two books I read by this author, and I've been looking forward to getting to read their story!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished You're The One That I Want, excellent book. I absolutely loved the beginning due to my being a huge Deadliest Catch fan.:D Up next for me is Return to Paradise (first book in her Coming Home trilogy) by Barbara Cameron.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

I'm on to the next Jen Turano book, A Match of Wits." Lots of laughs and adventure and fun! Her characters are hilarious. Her books are on the lighter side of historical fiction, but I don't mind that sometimes.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Return to Paradise, wonderful!! I loved it!! Up next for me is An Uncommon Courtship by Kristi Ann Hunter. It is the third book in her Hawthorne House trilogy.
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

I just started Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke. Usually, I don't like romance novels (or at least I'm sure I wouldn't), but my friend said that I would like it. So far I do.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm reading Robin Hood by Howard Pyle for school. I was planning on readin through the classic version at one point, as I've read the children's illustrated one many times.
I probably should have read it sooner, though anyways, I'm rather enjoying the banter between Robin and Little John, and imagining Sherwood forest as it's described. :)
Wonderful story.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished An Uncommon Courtship, wonderful book. Absolutely can't wait for the fourth and final book to come out in September. Up next for me is Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette. It is the second book in her Out From Egypt trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, "An Uncommon Courtship" was great! I'm happy to hear that the next book will be out in fall. :D

I'm currently reading "Close to You" by Kara Isaac. It takes place in New Zealand, and it's quite quirky and fun so far! I'm really enjoying it. I have a friend who read it soon before she left for a trip to Australia and New Zealand, and she really enjoyed it too.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm reading A Heart Most Certain by Melissa Jagears. It is the first book in her Teaville Moral Society series. Very good so far.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Well, I have finished Robin Hood. I think we're reading A Midsummer Night's Dream next. :)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Heart Most Certain, very good book. Up next for me is Fire & Ice by Mary Connealy, it is the third book in her Wild at Heart trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm planning to read "A Heart Most Certain" in the near future, so I'm happy to see that you enjoyed it, Laurie! :D That sounds like a good sign.

I just started "Can't Help Falling" by Kara Isaac. So far the characters are really interesting, and there's a Narnia/C.S. Lewis theme that is quite intriguing. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Fire & Ice today, very good. I'm now reading Still Life by Dani Pettrey, it's romantic suspense and the second book in her Chesapeake Valor trilogy/series. So far very good.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm planning to read "Still Life" soon too, Laurie! The first one was pretty good, and this one sounds quite interesting.

I was in the mood for some historical fiction, so I'm reading "The Unveiling" by Tamara Leigh. It takes place during the 12th century, which is a time period I haven't read a ton about. It's very good so far! I always enjoy her books.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yesterday I finished Back in the Saddle by Ruth Logan Herne, very good and my first time reading Ms. Herne. I am now reading Deadly Encounters by DiAnn Mills, very good so far. The assistant manager of the Lifeway store was telling me how much she enjoyed this book one of the last times I was in the store before it closed in January. I miss that little store.:(
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that your local Christian bookstore closed, Laurie. :( That's too bad.

I just started book two in the Age of Faith series by Tamara Leigh. It's called "The Yielding" and takes place a few years after the first book. And by "just started" I mean "I'm four pages in" so I don't have a lot to say about it yet ;) but I anticipate that it will be good!