New Antagonist?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

New Antagonist?

Post by tuneup »

Ever since Dr. Regis Blackgaard & Novacom, will we expect some new villains to appear in future albums?

There hasn't been a good vs evil album lately.

The Green Ring Conspiracy? Close.

Any ideas?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I really hope there are some new villains soon. The Green Ring wasn't as intense as I wished it was.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by tuneup »

I would hope for a new good vs evil thing for future albums.

Blackgaard was a megalomaniac seeking power and money.

Novacom is a corporation who used Eugene's work for their own ends.

Wonder if we'll get a new antagonist who wants to take over the whole world. His first target will be Odyssey and then everyone. It would be nice if Richard Maxwell & Tasha came back as the allies for the cause against the evil one.

-- Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 am --

Anyone thought of ideas about a new antagonist after Blackgaard and Novacom?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I, personally, haven't really thought about it. They seem to be busy enough with continuing Wooton's and Penny's story at the moment. But they also did have that whole thing with the Perilous Pen, though, I wouldn't consider that major.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

The "Green Ring" was probably the beginning of the end for Odyssey's viability. It illustrated, sadly, that the new, lighter air was unable to sustain events of serious consequences because A53 set the show on a course it won't be coming back from.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

SimplyDredge wrote:The "Green Ring" was probably the beginning of the end for Odyssey's viability. It illustrated, sadly, that the new, lighter air was unable to sustain events of serious consequences because A53 set the show on a course it won't be coming back from.
Yeah, Green Ring wasn't bad, but it just felt hollow. Although to be fair that's about where I left off listening, but given the direction it seemed headed this is probably true.

I'm hoping Jimmy Barclay becomes the new big villain.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

SimplyDredge wrote:The "Green Ring" was probably the beginning of the end for Odyssey's viability. It illustrated, sadly, that the new, lighter air was unable to sustain events of serious consequences because A53 set the show on a course it won't be coming back from.
Can you expound on that?

I ask because this is how I feel about album 58, though yes, it probably did start with Album 53 as that introduced several characters that have fed this new direction (and for the record, I really liked album 53). My problem has been that since Album 58 the show has been very storyline heavy. That wouldn't bother me except that there needs to be balance, and with some of the listenership unable to access the slice of life shows, which the majority of are on the OAC, there isn't balance. Even with the OAC (yes, I finally cracked and subscribed), it doesn't feel very balanced right now. Rather, there are times the last two years have felt a bit soap-operay.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeess. That's exactly how I feel, Jonathan. I just didn't quite know how to express it. I like the ongoing storylines and character development, but I also like the "day in the life" episodes that you can listen to without needing any backstory. Those standalone episodes are the stories I go back and listen to waaayy more than the other episodes.

Again, I really do like the ongoing story arcs, but there needs to be more balance within the episodes. As you said, Jonathan.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

It would be interesting to have a realistic antagonist who isn't bent on taking over the world. Someone who is opposed to what Whit believes but isn't a megalomaniac.

We saw some of this with Blackgaard, when Eugene and Whit are in Blackgaard's Castle, and Blackgaard states that kids are free spirits, and need freedom, not rules, etc - but Blackgaard was a megalomaniac.

Bart Rathbone used to be kind of an antagonist (Sixties Something) but he was kind of a goofball and usually his view points were driven by a making money mentality.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I think it would be interesting to have someone written similar to Dalton Kern or Leonard Corelli, motivated by the wealth and willing to take extreme measures to accomplish his goals. We did have Benjamin Trask shortly, he didn't seem that menacing though.*shrugs*

A more personal antagonist could be entertaining, one who spends a good amount of time making insults yet isn't written as an idiotic egomaniac.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

And, "New Antagonist"? Sorry. Either Jay, Vance or Dion did it and even if someone else does something, they had to have a good reason for it. Green Ring didn't carry the depth of other struggle sagas. I kinda wish we'd have spent more time on Mr. Grote, because the rest of those guys?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I agree with Jonathan that the Adventures in Odyssey Club is way too full of the slice-of-life soap opera shows, though I actually am fine with that because when I hear an episode I don't really like, I decide that it belongs in the Adventures in Odyssey Club, where hardly anyone gets to hear them anyway. I want people to be able to hear the masterpieces that get released, and so far, those have all been on albums and not in the AIOC in my opinion.

I don't know, I'm still one of those people who cries 'no' even though I pay for the AIOC.
Last edited by Mariogeek on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Honestly, I think the real reason we've lost most of the slice of life episodes... and hear me out, I promise I'm not a monster...
But it's all the episodes focused on missions. I love that AIO is pushing more of a global focus, but after a while, another episode with our cast of characters traveling abroad, or a convenient meeting resulting in a gripping story gets a bit repetitive. I miss seeing Whit behind the counter talking to kids every now and then.

And yes. The root cause is largely the AIOclub. I haven't subscribed in 16 months, so I really am behind now, and from my perspective, everything from 58 onwards really is starting to feel like one long episode. In most ways, I really like the continuity. But I definitely miss those random episodes in between. Even Novacom had them through Albums 35, 36, and 37.

-- 07 Mar 2017 09:37 pm --

Honestly, I think the real reason we've lost most of the slice of life episodes... and hear me out, I promise I'm not a monster...
But it's all the episodes focused on missions. I love that AIO is pushing more of a global focus, but after a while, another episode with our cast of characters traveling abroad, or a convenient meeting resulting in a gripping story gets a bit repetitive. I miss seeing Whit behind the counter talking to kids every now and then.

And yes. The root cause is largely the AIOclub. I haven't subscribed in 16 months, so I really am behind now, and from my perspective, everything from 58 onwards really is starting to feel like one long episode. In most ways, I really like the continuity. But I definitely miss those random episodes in between. Even Novacom had them through Albums 35, 36, and 37.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Dallas R. wrote: But it's all the episodes focused on missions. I love that AIO is pushing more of a global focus, but after a while, another episode with our cast of characters traveling abroad, or a convenient meeting resulting in a gripping story gets a bit repetitive. I miss seeing Whit behind the counter talking to kids every now and then.
I have noticed this as well, and yes, there definitely should be times where we hear the characters leave familiarity behind to preach the gospel, not all our work on earth requires we do that. Whit was ministering in Odyssey, not only to those who hadn't accepted Christ, though providing accountability and fellowship. We're called to take up our crosses and follow Jesus, and sometimes he doesn't lead us far from home.
I'd love to see, ahem, hear another behind the counter scene between a kid and Whit and want there to be a men's Bible class and hear Jason wrestle over attending or not. I want to hear about Connie's hopes and dreams and the people Wooton meets on his mail route.

A villain doesn't have to mess with that necessarily, they could be simply one who tries to install doubt, fear, or even tempts a character.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

The Green Ring didn't prove AIO's ability to deal with evil in their new era. I think it was "The Labryinth" that proved that. At this point, any episode that is actually good vs. evil should be accesible to the masses.