Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn't say it bothered me, I'm merely pointing out that obvious out of context line is obvious. They usually aren't this blatant (where you can figure out what it actually means immediately, usually you do it in hindsight after seeing the movie) so it caught my attention in a particular way is all.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Maybe he will end the Jedi since they haven't done so hot in recent years and he trains Rey to become a new type of Jedi-ish-esque person before he becomes all old and wrinkly and hologrammy like Snoke. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Dr. Watson wrote:Maybe he will end the Jedi since they haven't done so hot in recent years and he trains Rey to become a new type of Jedi-ish-esque person before he becomes all old and wrinkly and hologrammy like Snoke. :(
...If he isn't already Snoke!

Dun dun dun......

:shock:

That theory came to me as I read Dr. Watson's post, and it immediately struck me as the kind of thing other people have probably already found all kinds of reasons why it could be true. Star Wars fans live up to the fanatic name!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Its Treason then!
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

From a pure human perspective, having the Jedi fail right after Luke started them again is not very surprising. The Jedi order was completely messed up during the prequels, as they let their political ideologies confuse their moral and religious teachings. I believe it is assumed Yoda and Obi-Wan greatly meditated on how to return the Jedi back to its former order during their time in seclusion. Of course, Luke learned from both of them... but I doubt very well. Both Jedi elders had to return/recreate the Jedi teachings, and probably didn't have perfect teachings of the new Jedi very well planned when they taught Luke. He also was not very long trained under them. I do not deny that Luke was a brilliant Jedi, but with very little training or guidance from elders (assuming Force Ghosts could not communicate with Luke much), he was also starting from scratch. The force maybe could help him, but from a human perspective, it is obvious he is going to fail sometimes if not every time. As for destroying the Jedi, I would see that going in with this as well. Bookworm may be correct, but Luke may actually be honest that he thinks the essence of Jedi is messed up and irreparable, and he wishes to start over from scratch with just "the force and me." Or, he wants to wipe the knowledge of the force from existence and go purely atheistic (to use such terms).

Of course I see that in a story perspective we want to see the happily ever after with thousands of Jedi that turned out perfectly and blah blah blah, before the failure happens (if it does at all). But humanly, that probably wouldn't happen.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Bookworm, I want to apologize if I came on too strong there, sorry. :)
Isaiah the Ox wrote:From a pure human perspective, having the Jedi fail right after Luke started them again is not very surprising. The Jedi order was completely messed up during the prequels, as they let their political ideologies confuse their moral and religious teachings.
This makes sense. It supports the idea the order could still fall and yet restored.
It would involve a tremendous amount of effort, though again, be possible.

Double post fixed - The Doctor
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Monty_Whittaker

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Isaiah the Ox wrote: Or, he wants to wipe the knowledge of the force from existence and go purely atheistic (to use such terms).
What, is he Darth Traya from KOTOR II?
Resident JRPG nut
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Monty_Whittaker wrote:
Isaiah the Ox wrote: Or, he wants to wipe the knowledge of the force from existence and go purely atheistic (to use such terms).
What, is he Darth Traya from KOTOR II?
AKA One of the best Star Wars characters ever. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

If Darth Traya is considered to be one of the best characters, then Meetra Surik might be as well.

I really don't see Luke going ballistic. Does he have enough power to wipe the knowledge of the force? :? I mean, yes, he hasbeen training for a while. It's fun to speculate this, yet the more I watch the trailer, the more I doubt he could end the Jedi.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

JJ Abrams is the new Director for episode 9 and the release date was moved back to December 2019. So for at least this Trilogy it will be a Christmas event.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When they set release dates so far in advance, a little shift doesn't seem like a big deal, and I kind of like big releases around Christmas, so that works for me! I did hear about this the other day, but couldn't muster up too much of a reaction. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was surprised to hear it wasn't already planned for December, I thought all of these were.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, I assumed they'd be consistent with December, even if I'd prefer they kept them in the spring like the last trilogy.

It also feels weird we are getting the official numbered episodes every two years instead of three. >_>

There was a new big trailer but I'm a cyber bully and refuse to post it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I did watch the trailer soon after it was available and it does look pretty good! :D I found it quite intriguing. I would go see the movie whether the trailer was good or not ;) but it seems to be a good mix of hints and info.
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

FANGIRLING

thats all im gonna say
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

As of today, my tickets are officially preordered! \:D/ I'm going Sunday, December 17. Still early enough, but not opening day or anything.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I've managed to avoid everything but the first trailer so far. Still feels weird that we're getting a Star Wars movie.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

:lol: I read this one yesterday, but didn't think to post it! Thanks bookworm. I love Fox Trot!