Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Having not seen the original that cast looks like they'll be hilarious together. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've never seen the original either. To me this trailer looks like one of those movies with a funny trailer that ends up being mostly lame, but I could be a bit too quick to judge. ;) And even that doesn't mean that it isn't still enjoyable to watch. I won't be rushing to theatres or anything to see this one, but if I heard good things, I would see it eventually.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't recall ever going from so excited about a movie to so disappointed about it so quickly as when I saw this trailer was finally out and then I watched it. I had been really looking forward to when we finally got a look at this for some time, but my excitement was immediately deflated.

When I first heard some time ago that they were going to reboot Jumanji I did not approve. The original is special to me, I explained why in that thread, so I didn't want it thrown out just to unnecessarily start over. But then they said it's actually not a reboot, but a sequel, and I thought okay I could get behind that. For a single movie property that doesn't have any real worldbuilding around it there still is, at least in my mind, some interesting lore to it. It might be cool to expand the story with another movie. Then I heard the Rock would be in it and said yeah, that would be cool, the Rock taking on the forces of the game, I'll go for that. But it turned out to be this. It's not the original Jumanji, it's a video game. And it's not really the Rock, it's just a kid with the Rock as his avatar. Major letdown.

But after the initial impression wore off, the more I think about this it's actually not seeming as bad as I first thought. I think it was mainly the strong surprise of being so not what I had expected or wanted that really put me off, now that I'm past that and understanding what this is going to be I'm starting to see how it could be not that bad.

The first movie was about Jumanji bring chaos into our world, but there's a whole other side to it, the world of the game. Alan got stuck in there, and we know there are game-side characters, like Van Pelt, in there doing things, but we never found out what it's actually like. It looks like here we will. That idea is growing on me. It's better than just rehashing the game coming to the real world again, let's do something different this time and go there. With the game throwing things out here there was still a level of control. It was about figuring out how to survive and beat the intrusions in our world. But if we go into the game world, we are the intrusions. We have no control over whatever that reality is, and as an audience we have no idea what the reality is, we haven't had that part of the story yet, so we have to figure it out along with the characters while they try to survive and find a way to escape. There could be a good movie there.

So my immediate reaction was intense disappointment and aversion, but I'm gradually coming back around. I'm interested to see if future trailers sway me further in one direction or the other.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Did y'all notice the principal at the beginning is Marc Evan Jackson, aka, the voice of David Parker on AIO ?

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Jimmy Barclay Fan wrote:Did y'all notice the principal at the beginning is Marc Evan Jackson, aka, the voice of David Parker on AIO ?
Really? Maybe that's why he's not acting on AIO anymore. He's gotten too popular.
Last edited by Peachey Keen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This wasn't as good as I had hoped, but I liked it.

There was more crude humor and language than was necessary. The original was intense in places, but content wise completely family friendly. This one seemed aimed at a somewhat older audience. Which I guess makes sense if they were thinking people who grew up with the original would be primarily who was interested in this one, but when the first was a genuine all ages movie this was unexpected.

This was a really different kind of movie than the first one. In every way, story type, tone, just very different. If someone watched this movie first and didn't like it I would strongly encourage them to still check out the original because this doesn't reflect on what to expect from it at all, it's really a sequel in name only.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I was somewhat entertained by the new one, but having never seen the original, I can't really compare the two. But I am generally amused by both the Rock and Jack Black, so figured I couldn't go wrong. \:D/

Unfortunately it ended up being one of those, "Hey I'm going to watch this and try to get some stuff done!" movies and I only half paid attention, but there were some funny moments that stuck out, Jack Black really stole the show, which made me happy because it seems like he'd kind of been on a downward spiral as far as his roles lately.

In conclusion, it always pays to check in the trash in the AV department because they throw out those digital copy codes that come with blu-rays sometimes, free movies for me! \:D/