What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've moved on to "Midnight at Austenland" by Shannon Hale. I remember a few things from when I read it a couple of years ago, but not all the details, so I'm enjoying the mystery as well as the excellent writing!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Five Brides, wonderful book. I've added Ms. Everson to my list of favorites. Up next for me is Treasured Grace by Tracie Peterson. It is the first book in her Heart of the Frontier trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm currently rereading "Virginia" by Cathy Marie Hake. It has four novellas in it that are all connected (different generations, but some kind of link) and I'm really enjoying it! I haven't read it in quite a while.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Treasured Grace, excellent book. Up next for me is Mist of Midnight by Sandra Byrd. It is the first book in her Daughters of Hampshire trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really enjoyed the Daughters of Hampshire trilogy, and I think the first one was my favourite! I hope you like it as well, Laurie. :D

I'm rereading "Woven Hearts," a novella collection with stories by four different authors, but the first one is by Cathy Marie Hake, and that's the one that I kept thinking of recently that made me dig this older book out from my bottom shelf (though it was less buried that I thought it might be - my sister borrowed it a while ago).
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Mist of Midnight, excellent book. Up next for me is The Road to Paradise by Karen Barnett. It is the first book in her Shadows of the Wilderness trilogy/series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it, Laurie!

I just finished "Threads of Suspicion," Dee Henderson's newest book, today (at 3 a.m.) :anxious: and it was excellent! All of her books are great, but I really enjoyed this one and got totally caught up in the story. I just couldn't put it down! Highly recommended. It's the second in the Evie Caldwell Cold Case series, so it would be better to read "Traces of Guilt" first, though it would certainly be possible to read them separately.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Road to Paradise, very good. It has taken me a while for two reasons. I've been distracted by the Tour de France. I watch it every year as it is a fun way to see France without a passport, plus my brother got me into it and there was a character in the book I did not like. If there is a character in a book that I dislike it slows me down. Up next for me is Written in Love by Kathleen Fuller. It is the first book in her Amish Letters series.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I know what you mean about a character you don't like! That's slowed me down sometimes too.

Right now I am reading "A Stranger at Fellsworth" by Sarah E. Ladd. It's the third book in her Treasures of Surrey series. It's quite interesting so far! I think I'm enjoying it more than the second book, which was fine but not great in my opinion.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Written in Love, excellent book. I made a mistake in that there is a trilogy that I should have read before this book. Up next for me is My Sister's Prayer by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould. It is the second book in their Cousins of the Dove trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It's hard to know sometimes - at times a series or specific order is clearly stated, and other times it isn't. That can be kind of frustrating sometimes, since I really like to read things in the correct order!

I just started "Of Rags and Riches" - it's a novella collection that I mostly decided to read because it has a story by Michelle Griep in it, and I really enjoy her books, but I'm hoping to appreciate the whole book. The good thing about novellas is that even if you don't love a particular story, it doesn't take long to read!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I knew there was a trilogy that I should have read but I did not think it would matter, I was wrong. Nothing I can do about it now. I finished My Sister's Prayer, excellent. Up next for me is Her Brother's Keeper by Beth Wiseman, the first book in her Amish Secrets trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas" by Erica Vetsch. I was happy to successfully predict where the stolen money was hidden about halfway through the book! \:D/ (How can you tell I might be a little too proud of myself for this?) ;) It was a funny and touching story. Quite good!

I'm just about to start "A Bride Sews with Love in Needles, California" by Erica Vetsch. I bought both these books on sale a while ago and just never got around to reading them. I've enjoyed other books by this author.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Her Brother's Keeper, very good. Up next for me is Angels Walking by Karen Kingsbury, it is the first book in her Angels Walking trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "Wild Montana Skies," the first book in Susan May Warren's Montana Rescue series, and I'm just about to start "Rescue Me," which is book two. The first book was really intriguing, and I'm looking forward to book two! Susan May Warren always sucks me right into whatever story she's telling, and this seems like it's going to be the kind of series with connected characters and a bigger story that goes through the series, so it's going to be tough waiting for the whole series! Book three is out already, but I'll be stuck waiting after that.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Dewey Decimal System - Nathon Larson
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like a really interesting title, Marvin. Is it really all about the Dewey Decimal System?

I just started reading "Almost Like Being in Love" by Beth K. Vogt. I always enjoy her books, so I'm looking forward to the journey!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Angels Walking, very good book. Up next for me is Fraying at the Edge by Cindy Woodsmall, it is the second book in her Amish of Summer Grove trilogy.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I'm reading Line of Duty by Terri Blackstock. :) It's cool. If anyone has read anything by her, could you tell me what you like the most or if there's another similar author to her you recommend? She mostly writes Christian Crime Fiction, I'm told. Anyways I would really appreciate it. :D
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey GJ, I've read Terri Blackstock's older books, but not her newer stuff. If you enjoy that kind of book, you will probably also like books by Dee Henderson. She's a fantastic author! I highly recommend all of her books. I would also recommend Susan May Warren, who writs a variety of genres, including suspense. I love all of her books, but in the suspense category, her Team Hope series and Mission: Russia series are both excellent!

And speaking of Susan May Warren, I'm very excited to finally have book three in her Montana Rescue series in my hands! I just started "A Matter of Trust" and plan to finish it today because I promised a friend she could borrow it tomorrow! :lol: