Good uses for eggs?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Good uses for eggs?

Post by bookworm »

I've come into an overabundance of eggs and am trying to find good ways to use them so none go to waste. Good here meaning easy ways to productively use several at a time at a better rate than just frying two or three a day for breakfast.

So far I've been making egg salad which uses a good handful a batch, and I've made some frittata type dishes that can take 6-8 a pan. Any of you cooks here have other suggestions? I'm not looking for fancy recipes, my focus is specifically on consuming the eggs so ideal recipes have minimal ingredients other than egg and use several eggs per dish. A good crustless quiche recipe would be great, I've tried three so far and none have turned out very well.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, I was going to suggest egg salad, but you're already doing that. Eggs do last quite a while, so as you're using eggs up other ways, you can hard boil a bunch to keep in the fridge if you start to worry about some going bad. A sliced hard boiled egg is a nice addition to a salad, or I like them just on their own with salt and pepper.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I initially thought an angel food cake would be a good use for them, but that only calls for egg whites. I guess you could find something else to do with the yolks. Reader's Digest suggests using them to moisturize your hair.
Your fridge may be home to your new favorite conditioner. Rich in fats and proteins, an egg’s yolk is naturally moisturizing and nourishing, which can make your hair less prone to breakage. Use a half-cup of your leftover egg yolks (6 to 7 yolks), beat until creamy, and apply to clean, damp hair. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes, then rinse with cool water. You can use this deep conditioning treatment about once a month for glossier locks.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I actually considered specifying 'edible uses' :P Thanks for the tip though.
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

Trying to think of how I use eggs... Obviously like you say frying for breakfast. I personally prefer to mix in some cheese, ham, pepper, and sometimes shredded hash browns to make a breakfast wrap. that'll use 3-4 eggs.

If you like fish you can also add hard boiled eggs and mayo to tuna, makes a good tuna salad.

French toast is a good use of eggs.

Make a bunch of cookies. :yum:
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

French toast is indeed a good use, just not in this sense of good (focused on quantity) since it only uses about one egg per two pieces of bread, so only one or two eggs per meal, well below the desired consumption rate. Unfortunate, as I do quite enjoy it.
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I'm not really a cook but on Monday I made a cake using cake mix that required 3 eggs. It was delicious! You could make a bunch of cakes I guess... and give them to friends and family maybe. If you hard boil a bunch of eggs they make great snacks, and you can eat them with breakfast, lunch or dinner. Don't know if I was much help but I tried :-
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

bookworm wrote:French toast is indeed a good use, just not in this sense of good (focused on quantity) since it only uses about one egg per two pieces of bread, so only one or two eggs per meal, well below the desired consumption rate. Unfortunate, as I do quite enjoy it.
If all else fails, you could make a ton of something and then freeze it for later. Maybe something along the lines of a breakfast casserole with a bunch of eggs, shredded potato, and peppers or something, like this.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought about freezing some premade stuff but wasn't sure how well that works with egg dishes.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

At least for the egg casserole, it froze quite nicely and I was able to reheat portions of it at a time for breakfasts.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good to know, thanks!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Are the eggs all gone yet, bookworm? What was your favourite way to eat them after so many eggs?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

For bulk egg usage I made a couple more egg salads and I came up with a zucchini casserole thing that I made a few times. In between to keep going through them consistently I cycled between breakfasts of regular fried eggs, french toast, and eggs in a basket. Even though those are all just variations of eggs and toast, they're different enough that as I was getting tired of one it changed it up and refreshed my appetite.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like a good strategy!

I know it's weird, since eggs are such a common item, but now every time I see eggs I think of bookworm! :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I know it's weird, since eggs are such a common item, but now every time I see eggs I think of bookworm! :anxious:
:lol: I feel like I'm becoming a more subtle Top in the sense of being subconsciously connected to certain things. While we think of him when seeing specific prompts like Hulk Hogan or Godzilla, I've become associated with inconspicuous everyday sights like squirrels and eggs. :p

If the squirrel thing is still a thing. I don't know if that association lasted long term with the people who had made it back when.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

bookworm wrote:If the squirrel thing is still a thing. I don't know if that association lasted long term with the people who had made it back when.
Idk about anyone else, but I associate you with squirrel tongues.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Tea Ess wrote:Idk about anyone else, but I associate you with squirrel tongues.
Excellent! \:D/ Though I've come to doubt that actually was a tongue. :(

*drops a reference link for any newer members who are reading this and really confused*