Solo: A Star Wars Story

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by bookworm »

Title of the Han Solo movie just announced.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

That's a really bad title.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's unimaginative, but I don't think it's bad. 'A Star Wars Story' can be ignored, all the anthologies will have that it's not part of the 'real' title. "Solo" seems fitting enough; it's in the vein of biographical movies that just state their subject's name, and this is reportedly a biographical movie, exploring the backstory of this character more than showing an adventure that sprawls across several components like the other movies.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Oh, they all have "A Star Wars Story." That's okay I guess. It's just kind of bland and nondescript.

I'm fine with just "Solo" I guess--although, that name is blatantly significant in the first place. They almost could've called it "Han."
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I'm really curious to see what direction they take with this movie. I'm hoping that they use these "Star Wars Story" movies to experiment with different genres within the Star Wars universe. Just hoping and praying they don't play it safe.
he/him | a little stinker.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It isn't that earth-shattering of a title, but hey, it will be easy to remember and easy to connect with the story. ;) I really hope the movie ends up being good, because Han Solo is such a great and almost universally beloved character that it will be a shame if they mess it up.

I'm optimistic that it will be at least good, if not great. I will have to see it no matter what, of course! *considers breaking out her classic Han Solo avatar*
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Steve wrote:I'm really curious to see what direction they take with this movie. I'm hoping that they use these "Star Wars Story" movies to experiment with different genres within the Star Wars universe. Just hoping and praying they don't play it safe.
They were trying to not make it safe and have a hilarious movie, but then Disney was all like, "NO BE LESS FUN!" and they fired the directors that they hired knowing they were known for comedy and hired that bald guy. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Steve wrote:I'm hoping that they use these "Star Wars Story" movies to experiment with different genres within the Star Wars universe.
The original idea for starting this anthology series was exactly that, to allow a way to experiment with different types of movies as one offs. A war movie with Rogue One, a pirate movie with Han Solo and smugglers, a gangster movie with Boba Fett and bounty hunters, etc. That was the idea. How much of the idea actually comes to fruition overall remains to be seen.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Steve wrote:I'm really curious to see what direction they take with this movie. I'm hoping that they use these "Star Wars Story" movies to experiment with different genres within the Star Wars universe. Just hoping and praying they don't play it safe.
They were trying to not make it safe and have a hilarious movie, but then Disney was all like, "NO BE LESS FUN!" and they fired the directors that they hired knowing they were known for comedy and hired that bald guy. :(
I associate that bald guy with comedy, but maybe that's my limited knowledge on the subject. :anxious:

All the changes do make me more worried that it will be a lousy movie. Last minute director changes just don't give much confidence in the whole film-making vision or process.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I mean... I guess it sure looks like a movie.
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That was exactly my reaction. :P I have to say as huge of a Star Wars fan as I am, I'm not really excited about this one. Definitely seeing it, but not looking forward to it for any particular reason other than being more Star Wars.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This longer teaser looks better than just the Super Bowl spot I saw yesterday, but I'm still not super excited. I had the thought when I saw the female character (Qi'ra, apparently?) that there's no way to add romance and make people happy (at least not people like me!) because as much as I enjoy a romantic plotline, I really will not be supportive of a romance between Han and anybody not Leia, and even if they do something with Lando, we know that things did not work out in the future if they do go that way. ;) I hadn't really thought of that before I watched the trailer. Donald Glover as Lando will hopefully be good, but as a Community fan, he looks like Darkest Timeline Troy play dress-up to me. :anxious:
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

At 00:35 in this trailer, is that Moz??

I'm not sure about the actor they chose for Han, but maybe it's just me. I guess Han always looked pretty young to me so I'm having difficulty thinking of young Han as anything other than a fairly young teenager. I really hope they show him meeting Chewie. Also Catspaw, I agree with the whole romance thing. I will definitely watch it though, because I am a huge Star Wars nerd (geek? fangirl?) and hopefully I will like it. I expressed some of my doubts to my dad and he is positive I will like it just because it is Star Wars, which is probably true :anxious:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was very surprised to learn this one isn't a December movie. I thought that was their thing.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Parakeet wrote:At 00:35 in this trailer, is that Moz??
I thought that too when I watched! If we both agree, it must be true! ;)
Parakeet wrote:I'm not sure about the actor they chose for Han, but maybe it's just me. :anxious:
I agree with you on this too. :highfive: It sounds shallow, but he doesn't look right to me. I don't know if I'll change my mind when I see him acting in full in the movie instead of just snippets in the trailer, but I'm not buying him as Han yet.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think everyone on the internet hates the casting of Han. :( So I will say its perfect to be different. \:D/

I thought it was Moz but I watched a trailer breakdown and they said it was a four armed monkey, so either way I think we win.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I am sort of excited, though also this seems super odd to me, and I agree on the casting of Han. He...just doesn't look as a young Han maybe should, but I know obviously they're going to put effort into his mannerisms, and the lingo he uses. I also imagine we'll have difficulty trying to combine Alden and Harrison as the same person when we know how Han will end up. Watching him in the middle of a heist or whatnot, and knowing Harrison as long as the fandom has. This doesn't mean the new actor won't do a great job, of course, and we've got more Star Wars which is amazing.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

bookworm wrote:I was very surprised to learn this one isn't a December movie. I thought that was their thing.
Me too! and now I only have less than three months to fangirl before it comes out instead of ten months! :mad:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Leaked footage: