834: Sir Buddy's Snowy Day

Album 64

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

834: Sir Buddy's Snowy Day

Post by Parakeet »

What did you think of this new episode?
I personally hated it... Snow Day is my favorite episode ever and this was totally a copy of it, but without the nostalgia that (for example) The Force Awakens had for the older fans of Star Wars.
So yeah... comment what you thought of it or whatever :thumbsup:
Last edited by Parakeet on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Pianoman

Post by Pianoman »

I think calling it a rip off is furthest from the truth. The only similarity is the episode title. There is a /reference/ to Snow Day via the trash can lid and Gumpers (?) Hill. But that's called a reference/throwback, not rip off.

Anyway, my brother and I found Eva's conversation incredibly awkward, I don't think that was written the best... And the end was cheese and a cliché moral... but overall it wasn't awful really. Buddy's imaginations were actually normal and acceptable like WHAT IS LIFE. I liked the King Arthur narrator, reminded me of Spamalot. =p
OH AND GUYS JAY IS BACK IN ODYSSEY. :mad:
Fyi, the SS had a problem with this, so maybe you should put "Spoilers" in the thread title, just in case.
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

First off, I will respect anyone's opinion.
Second, I think that you might have made a mistake... because:
=D> 5 out of 5!
Jay:
*Jay is back from NZ
**"Didn't your mother teach you never to pummel defenseless bushes?"
**"Don't you know anything about how girls work?" "Nope!" "What do they teach you kids in school these days?"
**Jay didn't use that reasoning in "Mistaken for Good"
*I thought that Jay was in the tree... maybe HE WAS!!
*"Oh, hey! It's bush boy!" "Izzabuhhingweeh!" Buddy is elated so he doesn't notice
*"So why don't you just apologize to her? She lives next door to me, she's nice!" "You're not paying attention, DUBBY!" "It's Buddy."
**"Burly" during the joust
*Zoe's insults of Jay
*Snowplow
**"I'll be right here, wringing myself out, thank you very NO!"
*The rapscallion / knave named Smouse
*"And although I would rather report that the chase involved charging steeds and armies of clashed swords, it was little more than two winded youths with snow in their boots."
*Jay: "I just don't wanna show you how in shape I am!"
*Jay starts the crying blame game in front of Olivia
*Jay and Buddy are good foils

*Music was absolutely fantastic; played in excellently to the first scene
**Just kidding about Your Honest Opinion, Please
*I loved the narrator! I think that Ralph Lister is his name
**He keeps saying that dialogue is imaginary
*Wonderful sound effects
*Great theme, infatuation has not been covered enough on Odyssey
*Seems like a classic Odyssey kid episode

'Twas a repeat of Snow Day
*Gumper's Hill!!!
**Olivia: "One kid went all the way down and landed in the pond, I heard!" It was a creek
**Where did he get the garbage can lid?
**"A new epoch in the notable history of Gumpers' hill had been written."
*So Jay IS taking a milder form of Rodney

*Too bad that Buddy's an introvert
*With the thundering sound of:" "Hey Buddy..."
*The basement
**"Uh, maybe sledding would be fun!"
*Sir Dad

*Mrs. Parker: cocoa for me

*I love Buddy
*People keep mentioning that he zones out
**Matthew (I didn't think this story was that boring)
**Jay (I'm spilling my guts out to you and you're drifting off)
*Buddy's dad's great

Infatuation:
*Very pretty scene but funny at the same time
*"Buddy's feelings sang out like a male chorus:" O... livia...
*"And though here real utterances held less verse and flair, Sir Buddy's heart did not seem to mind." "AAAAGH! There's a snaaag in this scarf already!"
*Dope, Olivia! You crushed Buddy's heart! (Or maybe Jay actually did it)
**And I thought she liked him after the tree
**"Sir Buddy the Hunk!" "Hunk..." "Did you say 'hunk'?"
**"With one fell stroke, the fair lady Olivia was far less fair..."
*Buddy is quite transparent with Mrs. Parker and his dad
**"She's something." "Oh, she sure is, Mrs. Parker. Your daughter is a gem among common stones." (Sample)
*Again, this demonstrates Buddy's innocence at heart
*He can't think of anything besides Olivia being pretty and nice; Eva Parker has very good insight
**But he completely misses the point
*The last scene makes me wonder, COULD BUDDY BE THAT FICKLE???
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

Maybe 'hate' was too strong a word to use here... I have discovered that the new episodes just don't appeal to me like the old ones do. I miss Trent, Mandy, Jared, Liz, Cal, Alex, and especially the old B.P. (Before Penny) Wooton.
The whole "crush on Olivia" thing felt very unrealistic. I am not a guy, and therefore do not know what it feels like to have a crush on a girl, but from my experience crushes don't feel like that to me at all.

It was the classic:
*parent or Whit tries to make kid understand
*kid misinterprets explanation
*ensuing chaos
But it felt really obvious that Buddy should've figured this one out

Also, my mother would not react as Mrs. Parker did on discovering someone had a crush on her daughter. (I think. No one has liked me before as far as I know**

**except for a seven year old who had a huge crush on me and a five year old who loudly proclaimed "I love (my name). I want to marry her" but that's beside the point
Anywho, I did like some of Jay's comments, but Rodney is better in my opinion. sooo yeah
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

(Top spoiler quoting Parakeet's spoiler, second is my response -- it's a shame you apparently can't nest spoilers inside of quotes.)
The whole "crush on Olivia" thing felt very unrealistic. I am not a guy, and therefore do not know what it feels like to have a crush on a girl, but from my experience crushes don't feel like that to me at all.

It was the classic:
*parent or Whit tries to make kid understand
*kid misinterprets explanation
*ensuing chaos
But it felt really obvious that Buddy should've figured this one out

Also, my mother would not react as Mrs. Parker did on discovering someone had a crush on her daughter.
For what it's worth, as someone who's had more than a few crushes I think Buddy's experience is evocative of a crush: thinking someone and everything they do is perfect, reading only the best into everything they say and ignoring or excusing minor things that don't fit into that image, doing things for them, etc.

That said, you're not wrong about the other parts. I suspect it'd be very unusual for an older kid, much less a teenager, to talk about it so openly to their crush's parent, father *or* mother. Most of it is probably his personality and background; Isaiah isn't wrong that he's very naive, perhaps sheltered, and I suspect is more trusting of and open with authority figures than most people are nowadays. He seems to have that same openness with his own parents and Mr. Whittaker in a previous episode (which is honestly refreshing), so it's not a huge stretch to think that might extend to friends' parents. Possibly a little of it also has to do with his interests (in the 'knightly' romances that he spends most of his time thinking about in this episode, I suspect it'd be more common to openly court someone's parents). It's true Buddy doesn't seem to be all that bright here; I'd say that's not necessarily out of course with his character. We've seen that he tends to take things in a less sophisticated, more direct way than others do. With that and his fantasy of being the knight in shining armor I'm sure it never even crossed his mind that he might be the one that Mrs. Parker was referring to.

As far as Mrs. Parker's reaction goes, I understand that's not what most people would expect. *I* didn't expect it and cringed when I was listening and Buddy said it. But Eva is a fairly chill character to begin with, and if Buddy feels comfortable about it enough to tell her so openly in the first place, in retrospect I suppose his social/child-type instincts are on key enough to know whether she'd be likely to respond negatively or not. He's such, well, a kid that he is probably like that all of the time. I expect this isn't the first time he's said something rather personal and revealing to the Parker parents, as he expects them to behave as his own parents apparently would.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Here was my review. Buddy is just... ugh, in my opinion, but the narrator was awesome!
https://odysseynerds.wordpress.com/2018 ... snowy-day/
Very much agree that Buddy's imagination was much more tolerable this time around. But he didn't seem to learn much, and that was a beef for me. I agree with Parakeet, he really should be smart enough to figure these things out. Like I said in my review: Con: Buddy is an idiot. He missed the whole point of
Eva Parker's speech! And so now all he's learned is that he should go hit on Zoe instead of Olivia? Really??
-- Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm --
Scientific Guy wrote:First off, I will respect anyone's opinion.
=D> 5 out of 5!
Also, I wasn't aware that one's opinion could be a mistake... 8-)
Last edited by Mariogeek on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Scientific Guy wrote:First off, I will respect anyone's opinion.
=D> 5 out of 5!
Also, I wasn't aware that one's opinion could be a mistake... 8-)[/quote]
I can respect mistakes... but what else am I supposed to say?
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

:-

By the way, nice review Mariogeek! It was very enjoyable to read and I relate to the multitasking thing as I often do homework, chores, or ToO while listening.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Parakeet wrote: and I relate to the multitasking thing as I often do homework, chores, or ToO while listening.
Thank you, and yes! We multitask because we are busy people! Usually I grade someone's art stuff if they've sent, or work on the material for next week's class, or I'll work on my assignments for the class that I'm taking, or a client's portrait. Or Photoshop will crash and I will do none of those because I am filling out a crash report. :)
Last edited by Mariogeek on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yo
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

This episode broadcast on 2021-12-17.
Yay! A story about the kids! I like this imaginative kid Buddy. I know we saw him before, but this time it seemed better. This story was well-done. And his dad helps him understand what is means to have a crush and how you always start with being a friend.

I like how this loosely resembles Snow Day but is distinct from it. I like tastefully-done throwbacks.

4/5 would listen again

Reacting to other reviews here:
Yes, it is really weird for Buddy to tell Mrs. Parker he likes (who was it at first, Olivia; sorry, the Parker kids all sound the same to me). Maybe this kid is sheltered like Bob says and is 100% open when most people wouldn't be.

The MarioGeek character has a whole blog post, which I skimmed. I wasn't too emotionally invested in any of these character specifically. They'll never be Jared, Sarah, Dwayne, and all the rest, but they're still kids, and this is a kids' show and a lot of the antics (minus the 100% openness) would definitely happen in real life.

Crushes are when a person doesn't know how to process raw feelings. Of course absurd stuff happens and misinterpretations happen and frivolousness ensues. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And actually clearly MarioGeek didn't either, because 8.5/10 is pretty high in my understanding of the numerical scale.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: