GUESS MR. GREEN'S FAVORITE NUMBER :mrgreen:

$300 Prize for Whoever Guesses my Favorite Number!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

10,363 \:D/
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

Sure I do all the work now you guys show up.. ;)
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

There’s still 10,361 if none of our guesses are right. =p
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Old Brad wrote:Sure I do all the work now you guys show up.. ;)
Yes. I had no interest in randomly posting numbers, I thought it was something that could be reasoned.
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

bookworm wrote:
Old Brad wrote:Sure I do all the work now you guys show up.. ;)
Yes. I had no interest in randomly posting numbers, I thought it was something that could be reasoned.
I can see that, but I wasn't necessarily posting random numbers. You cut it in half then half again. :)
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Absolutely, there was definitely a method and you were doing it right. But the number you were narrowing down was random. I would have been interested if it was something we could have reasoned out without just higher or lowering. If the number had a meaning to it, or was one that spells a word upside down, or had some interesting quality that would make it something we could intuit as a possible target once we got within a certain range. (Which is why my only other guess was a palindrome, hoping this was the case rather than just being an arbitrary number.)
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Hey, the number might be arbitrary to you, but it probably has a very special meaning to JCGJ. :noway:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Please note the focus of my statement "if it was something we could have reasoned." I'm sure there's a reason known to JCGJ why it's his favorite, but since it isn't known to us it does not allow any intuiting of what is a more or less probable guess and therefore is no better than an arbitrary number, as far as the guessers are concerned.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Tea Ess wrote:10,363 \:D/
That's the one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-- Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm --
bookworm wrote:Absolutely, there was definitely a method and you were doing it right. But the number you were narrowing down was random. I would have been interested if it was something we could have reasoned out without just higher or lowering. If the number had a meaning to it, or was one that spells a word upside down, or had some interesting quality that would make it something we could intuit as a possible target once we got within a certain range. (Which is why my only other guess was a palindrome, hoping this was the case rather than just being an arbitrary number.)
This is fair. It was not something that could be reasoned out, so it would be perceived as arbitrary by basically everyone else that isn't me. :-
However, you should know by now, bookworm, that the things I do rarely make much sense in a traditionally logical way. :hithead: :shocking: :blow: :disco: :fro: :laughat: :goof2: :blarg: :!!!: :bounce: :panic:

Now that the number has been guessed, do y'all want me to just pick another, truly random number and play again? :mrgreen:

-- Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm --

Also, if anyone is interested in the reasoning behind my favorite number, I can share that. I just don't want to type it up if nobody really cares. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
321tumbler
Tallying up

Post by 321tumbler »

I would really like to know.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

~JCGJ~ wrote:
Tea Ess wrote:10,363 \:D/
That's the one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yay! \:D/ I'm glad we finally got to see this thread get resolved.

~JCGJ~ wrote:Also, if anyone is interested in the reasoning behind my favorite number, I can share that. I just don't want to type it up if nobody really cares. :mrgreen:
I would also be interested in hearing the reasoning.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

321tumbler wrote:I would really like to know.
Tea Ess wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:Also, if anyone is interested in the reasoning behind my favorite number, I can share that. I just don't want to type it up if nobody really cares. :mrgreen:
I would also be interested in hearing the reasoning.
So, I should mention before I get into my reasoning, that I love odd numbers. I set my stereo volume to odd numbers; I will go out of my way to make sure the step-counter on my smart-watch ends the day on an odd number; I love to explore the properties of odd numbers... I even (heh) get annoyed by even numbers because they dominate the scene. For example, if you add two even numbers, what do you get? An even number. If you add two odd numbers, what do you get? An even number. You even (heh) have to add an odd number to an even number in order to get an odd number out of it... The only way to get an odd number without using any even numbers is to add an odd number of odd numbers together (like 1 3 5 = 9)...
((WHY AREN'T MY PLUS SIGNS SHOWING UP? :compy: :bang: :slap2: :hammer: ))

Anyway, I digress... All you need to know is that I love odd numbers.

Ok, so, I decided awhile back that my favorite number had to be related to 13, because it's odd (duh), and there's that common irrational fear of 13, so naturally I was drawn to it... However, I figure too many people also have chosen 13 as their favorite number, and I wanted to be unique... So I grabbed a calculator and started mashing buttons and whatnot... I don't remember the exact train of thought I had at the time, but I do remember figuring out that if I added an odd number of odd numbers and an even number of even numbers together, the result would be an odd number, and it would also be made of an odd number of numbers (are you lost yet? :-k :- )... So eventually I ended up with 5 single-digit numbers that, when added together, make 13. :mrgreen:
This was back when I was, like, 9.
So... Yeah, that's why 10,363 is my favorite number. I have been looking for this number to pop up on a license plate or serial number or something at some point, but I have yet to see it "in the wild," as it were.
If any of you see it in the wild, take a picture and send it to me. :mrgreen: \:D/ :anxious:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:(like 1 3 5 = 9)...
((WHY AREN'T MY PLUS SIGNS SHOWING UP?
If you make a post that contains a plus sign and later edit it through Quick Edit the plus signs get removed for unknown reasons. You have to use the actual Edit button and add them back in. If you reinsert them though Quick Edit they will just be removed again when you submit. To prevent them from being removed in the first place use the Edit button for the original edit of posts that contain plus signs.
SamG
Lurker

Post by SamG »

1003?
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

The thread is over.
Resident JRPG nut