March Madness!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It busted a lot of brackets but it wins everyone free pizza on April 2nd! \:D/
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Conclusion: Team performance is in no way correlated with my subjective opinion of the aesthetic value of their logos. Most of my top 8 and all my top 4 got wiped out. :boohoo:
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I must say, I'm shocked to be doing so well. I base my picks solely on experience from past years, I still haven't watched a single NCAA game or read any analysis of teams. :p Yet somehow my bracket is currently in the 99th percentile. \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've only been paying real attention for a few years, but I don't recall another tournament having such a high concentration of upsets this early on. At the Sweet Sixteen two #1s and two #2s are already out!

It's fitting though; I heard way more ranked teams were upset by unranked teams throughout the year than usual. It was a crazy regular season, it should conclude with a crazy tournament!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This has been an awesome tourney!! Excited for the second weekend of play.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The left side of my bracket is completely done; all of those four of my Elite 8 are already out, therefore preempting those two of my Final Four and my runner up.

On the other side I can still potentially get three of their four of the E8 right. Should have had a chance at all four but I knowingly advanced Florida too far, for personal reasons. (Long time players will recall that for the first several years I always picked them to win it all, for no real reason it just became my running thing. They finally didn't make the tournament one year and that was when I began really 'thinking' about what picks I made year to year.) Having them back in the bracket this year I felt obligated to run with them just to honor our history. I resisted having them go all the way, but I did put them two rounds further than I knew I should and now I pay the consequences. I accept it though. *Gator hand motion for old times sake*
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

Sooo apparently choosing last year's winning team as your champion is not a guaranteed win... :(
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

shnoodlec wrote:Sooo apparently choosing last year's winning team as your champion is not a guaranteed win... :(
I tried that tactic last year, but there hasn't been a repeat champion in 11 years.

I got all the picks that were possible for me to get right this round correct. The problem is there were only three of those because I have so many matchups predicted wrong at this point.

So I end up with 3 of the E8 right; not horrible considering the multiple upsets we've had along the way. I'd say those probably account for up to 4 of my other picks that didn't get here. (two #1's and two #2's)

I'm able to get 2 of the F4 right from here and my champ is still in. Bracket is done, but if I got the winner right I'll be happy.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Loyola Chicago a school with 16,437 students is in the Final Four.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Yeah, I'm just toast. I think now would be the time to admit my previous statement regarding there being no correlation between my subjective opinion of the aesthetics of each team's logo is incorrect: There is a correlation—a negative one. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

#1 Villanova vs #3 Texas Tech and #1 Kansas vs #2 Duke both on CBS today, going to be two great ones! Come by #Madness and see who makes the Final Four!

(These are the last free tv games, the F4 and Final are on cable this year.)
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

Here's hoping for a Loyola-Chicago vs. KU championship in with KU winning \:D/
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That Duke/Kansas game was everything it was expected to be!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I'm hoping for Loyola-Chicago vs. Villanova with a Nova victory. ;)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Doctor wrote:I'm hoping for Loyola-Chicago vs. Villanova with a Nova victory. ;)
Same! \:D/

In the end I got 1/4 right. I can still score if Villanova goes to the final and again if they win. Same situation for Woody. Bob has Nova making the final but not winning so he can score just once more. Brad has Kansas winning so he will score if they make the final instead of Nova and again if they win. AE has the most scoring chances still left (at least of the brackets I checked, which were only mine and those above me) predicting a finals matchup of Michigan and Nova with Nova winning.

The Final Four results will pretty much decide things then it looks like. Feel free to double check these assessments because I only did very brief number crunching, but it appears if the final is Michigan/Kansas it comes down to AE and Brad with Brad winning if Kansas does and AE holding on otherwise, if it's Michigan/Villanova, AE wins regardless of outcome since everyone left picked Nova to win, and if it's Loyola/Villanova, Woody wins regardless of outcome since everyone left picked Nova.
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

bookworm wrote: The Final Four results will pretty much decide things then it looks like. Feel free to double check these assessments because I only did very brief number crunching, but it appears if the final is Michigan/Kansas it comes down to AE and Brad with Brad winning if Kansas does and AE holding on otherwise, if it's Michigan/Villanova, AE wins regardless of outcome since everyone left picked Nova to win, and if it's Loyola/Villanova, Woody wins regardless of outcome since everyone left picked Nova.
Also in the event of a Loyola/Kansas game with Kansas winning; I think I would win.
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Rooting for AE. No bias at all. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Old Brad wrote:Also in the event of a Loyola/Kansas game with Kansas winning; I think I would win.
Thanks I thought there was something I left out. If the final is Loyola/Kansas and Kansas wins Brad will win, if Loyola won I believe it would go to the tiebreaker with him and Woody.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Knight Fisher wrote:Rooting for AE. No bias at all. \:D/
That's what I'm talking about. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »