Sports Discussion The Good The Bad And The C'mon Man!

Formerly Baseball Discussion: Latest Headlines.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Warriors and Cavaliers. Fourth year in a row. NBA is a joke.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Also LeBron as an individual is in his eigth straight final! That's not as irritating to me as it always being the same two teams, but it still bugs me on principle.

I thought this was funny though:

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Lebron.... deserves better. https://streamable.com/cuo18
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

And the Washington Capitals are the Stanley Cup champions! Woohoo! \:D/ They've had their fair share (and more) of trials and tribulations over the years, and I'm happy that they get to celebrate winning today! Ovi's earned it. I did not want to see Vegas win their first year (plus I'm mad at them for beating the Jets) so this is extra good stuff!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Golden State back to back champions, Durrant back to back MVP; seriously enough of this garbage! The sport is legitimately being ruined by this. There is absolutely nothing compelling about it.

Even the Warriors barely cared they won! That was the least emotion I've ever seen in a championship win. It means nothing to anyone when it's a foregone conclusion what's going to happen before a single game is even played.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Catspaw wrote:And the Washington Capitals are the Stanley Cup champions! Woohoo! \:D/ They've had their fair share (and more) of trials and tribulations over the years, and I'm happy that they get to celebrate winning today! Ovi's earned it. I did not want to see Vegas win their first year (plus I'm mad at them for beating the Jets) so this is extra good stuff!
Yay!! I was so happy they got the win! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

LeBron abandons yet another team; what an absolute joke.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

John Tavares signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs today! :mad: Big news for the Islanders, the Leafs, and the whole league, since it's a big shift for a great player. There are a few disappointed teams who thought they had a chance, but the picture of him as a kid sleeping on Leafs sheets must tell at least part of the story. ;) Living the dream!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

NBA memes are on fire right now reacting to the free agency frenzy. (Basketball fans have to focus on things like this because if you think about what's actually happening in the sport right now you'll rage quit.)

Some tweets after LeBron left for the Lakers:

"Breaking News: Ty Lue promoted to head coach in Cleveland."
:lol:

"Breaking: Lakers sign Dez Bryant, J.R. Rider, Ricky Davis, Terrell Owens, and Bonzi Wells."

Reactions to Golden State getting DeMarcus Cousins:

This is really smart if you get the reference. It's equating the new starting five of the Warriors to the five pieces of Exodia from Yugioh which, if they are all assembled, create an unbeatable entity.

:rofl2:

Some tweets after a rapid series of announcements of various other players joining GS followed the Cousins signing:

"In later news, the Golden State Warriors plan to meet with Tyreke Evans, Kawhi Leonard, Le'veon Bell, Dez Bryant, and Christiano Ronaldo to secure bench depth."

Adam Silver has agreed to a Mid Level Extension with Golden State.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That one... that one hurt.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Two ties in two weeks O.o
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

All aboard the Brown's hype train!
*Finger guns aggressively*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The other day I heard on the radio about the first win for the Browns since Christmas Eve 2016 and I coulldn't believe it! That's just ugly. Their fans deserve some good things! I watch the Super Bowl with my dad and brother and that's about the extent of my interest in the NFL (and even then I still have a book in hand), which explains my ignorance. Craziness.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Packers are 1-1-1 it's unlikely another NFL team has ever had that record before.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Fourteen teams had actually done it before and add in four more after the end of this week. \:D/ Among those 14 previous teams 3 made it to the Super Bowl with the 1974 Steelers winning it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

That can't be true. You're saying seven other games have ended in ties within the first three weeks of the season before? I thought ties were super rare. Add to that specific time table the tie needs to be in that the teams that got the tie had to then split the other two games they played and if that's an accurate stat I am genuinely amazed!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Ties used to be a lot less rare. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/9/21/ ... 1-1-record

For the first time in MLB history we had two game 163s to decide the NL West and Central. Should be a great wildcard matchup tonight between the Rockies and the Cubs.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

For the first time since they've been my team the Giants missed consecutive playoffs. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The NHL season starts tomorrow! \:D/ I'm looking forward to finally being able to watch hockey again!