ToO Fantasy Football - Eight Straight Years!

Welcome to the 8th year of ToO Fantasy Football!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Yo the person in playing this week might want to sign some wide receivers
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 4:
Moves:
Benched Fitzpatrick for Rodgers
Dropped J Cook
Moved D Cook off IR
Benched Jackson for Brown
Dropped Agholor
Dropped Jackson
Dropped Cole
Added Calvin Ridley (ATL) WR
Added Eric Ebron (IND) TE
Added Mike Williams (LAC) WR
Played Ebron
Benched Breida for Lindsay
Dropped Butker
Added Cody Parkey (CHI) K
Dropped Fitzpatrick
Added Ryan Succop (TEN) K
Played Parkey
Dropped Enunwa
Added Packers D/ST
Benched Bears D/ST for Packers D/ST

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 14
James Conner - 5
Carlos Hyde - 14
Phillip Lindsay - 13
Mike Evans - 5
John Brown - 17
Eric Ebron - 10
Packers D/ST - 21
Cody Parkey - 15
Total: 114

Almanzo:
Patrick Mahomes - 22
Marshawn Lynch - 15
Tevin Coleman - 7
Brandin Cooks - 18
Antonio Brown - 12
Davante Adams - 8
Travis Kelce - 13
Eagles D/ST - 4
Wil Lutz - 16
Total: 115
This one hurts. This one hurts.
Week 1 - vs Bench Coolers (Eugene) 110-95
Week 2 - vs American Eagles (AE) 93-84
Week 3 - vs Seattle King's (gia) 92-113
Week 4 - vs Mr Cheesehead (Almanzo) 115-114
Week 5 - at Texas Staleys (KF)
Week 6 - vs Sonic the Hedgehogs (Monty)
Week 7 - at Winoka Warriors (Laura)
Week 8 - at Bench Coolers (Eugene)
Week 9 - at American Eagles (AE)
Week 10 - at Seattle King's (gia)
Week 11 - at Mr Cheesehead (Almanzo)
Week 12 - vs Texas Staleys (KF)
Week 13 - at Sonic the Hedgehogs (Monty)
Week 14 - vs Winoka Warriors (Laura)
Week 15 - vs Mr Cheesehead (Almanzo)
This is, without a doubt, the single loss that has stung the most in my entire career. This one hurts.

This was a week that I did *everything* right. I don't say that in a bragging way, I'm definitely still more clueless than knowledgeable about this overall, but this particular week it's just the truth. Something about this series of games aligned with the mix of experience and intuition I've been gradually building over the years and a genuine game plan emerged for this matchup. I put long thought and analysis into every single move I made this week, every pickup, benching, and play decision had a distinct, intentional purpose behind it. This is one of only a few times where top to bottom of the roster I had a tangible reason for who was in the lineup at every position, and I was confident in it.

And to my immense satisfaction as the numbers started coming in I was being rewarded for it. I was being confirmed in my decisions. I put together one of my most solid lineups ever. It put up a score I would be content to have any week of the season, regardless of win or loss. But I was in fact lined up to get the win as well. Just to put icing on the cake. Everything was coming together, everything was paying off. The game was saying yes you get a win, you deserve this for putting together this specific roster on this specific week! You did it right, now you get the reward! But then at the last minute I didn't. I didn't by one single point. This one hurts.

I said this is a score I'd be proud of win or lose, and it's true. If you get a score like this it means you did things right this week, regardless of outcome, and you deserve congratulations either way. And if it happens you don't win, with a score like this, that simply means your opponent also did it right and congratulations go to them as well. And there's no shame in losing a matchup like that. You still have the validation. You did do everything right, the score is what shows that not the final result. This is something to celebrate and take pride in, even though it's a loss. None of the confirmation I was feeling before has been diminished or invalidated. Honestly. And I know in the big picture that's how I need to look at it. But it's really hard to keep that perspective in a situation like this. It's only natural to feel it must be a disappointment if you do everything right but you don't get the win in the end. Especially when you don't get it by one single stupid point. This one hurts.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

E II wrote:Yo the person in playing this week might want to sign some wide receivers
Indeed.

Monty_Whittaker, you would benefit from taking a look at free agency and adding a few players. :)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

League news: A somewhat atypical arrangement has been agreed upon by the Blitzing Bookworms and the Sonic the Hedgehogs. To provide mutual assistance in managing upcoming player byes the teams will facilitate a temporary trade of a player for roster space, or from an alternative point of view will engage in a short term player loan. The terms of the transaction follow.

The Hedgehogs will select their choice of any one player on the Bookworms roster not designated to start this week (hereafter referred to as Player X). Player X will be traded to the Hedgehogs for no player in return, or in other words in exchange for one roster space. The Bookworms will retain the ultimate rights to Player X, but for the duration the player remains on the Hedgehogs roster he will be considered on short term loan and Monty may do whatever he wishes with Player X, excluding trading or dropping him. This duration will last at minimum through the Week 6 matchups, with the possibility of being extended on a week by week basis if both parties desire such an extension. When it is agreed the loan duration should conclude Player X will be traded back to the Bookworms for no player in return, except in the event that the Bookworms roster is full at the time of the trade back necessitating a player be released to complete said trade. In this event Monty will have first claim on the player which the Bookworms decide to release in facilitating the trade back. If Monty wants to acquire this player they will be traded in exchange for Player X, if he does not they will be dropped to waivers and the original trade back of Player X will be transacted as previously described. If at any time of the duration Player X is on the Hedgehogs roster bookworm decides he does not require Player X ultimately be returned, the rights to Player X will immediately transfer to Monty in full and thereafter he may do with Player X whatever he desires having been released from any restrictions previously outlined.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

^ All that effort and then you fail to start a QB this week. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Oh yeah, me and Bookworm are making a deal where I trade him my backup QB this week for one of his players.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:^ All that effort and then you fail to start a QB this week. \:D/
No I didn't, there are still two days to get one. And as Monty said the arrangement is in place it just hasn't been transacted yet.

-- 18 Oct 2018 09:34 pm --

Week 5:
Moves:
Benched Evans (Bye) for Tate
Benched Parkey (Bye) for Succop
Dropped Williams
Dropped Packers D/ST
Added Jared Cook (OAK) TE
Added Ravens D/ST
Played Ravens D/ST
Played J Cook

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 28
James Conner - 30
Carlos Hyde - 7
Phillip Lindsay - 8
Golden Tate - 4
John Brown - 5
Jared Cook - 2
Ravens D/ST - 7
Ryan Succop - 16
Total: 107

KF:
Phillip Rivers - 21
Todd Gurley - 28
Devonta Freeman - 3
Alshon Jeffery - 3
Keenan Allen - 9
Adam Thielen - 17
George Kittle - 8
Rams D/ST - 0
Matt Prater - 6
Total: 95
Great bounce back from the heartbreaker last week.
Week 5 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 107-95
Week 6 - vs Sonic the Hedgehogs (Monty)
To be fair this victory was as much a result of underperformances by some of KF's guys as it was great performances by some of mine, but after last week I'll take a win however I can get it. That expereince legitimately crushed my spirit a little.

I've said this before, and it continues to be the case more often than not: with Rodgers as my perennial QB my fantasy team tends to mirror the Packers real team in that when they have a struggling week so do I. This week that was shaping up to be the understatement of the season. I cannot even describe what a complete, absolute disaster this week's Packer game was, you have to watch it to understand. Literally anything that could go wrong was, they had no hope of winning, and neither did I. The projections had me solidly in line for another loss, rightfully so as I had shortcomings from several other positions already as well. But then Aaron Rodgers was Aaron Rodgers. After one of the worst halves of football I ever saw in my life, he went out with no panic whatsoever and absolutely lit it up. His 28 points - 28 - those were all from the second half! This is why he's the rock of my team. I've used that term multiple times before, this is exactly why. I can count on him to come through in the clutch. This is probably the most drastic example of this happening, but it's far from the first. There have been miltiple times over the years where whether I could get a win or not rested solely on Rodgers and he continues to come through for me.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is a rare week where the four teams with the worst league records have defeated the four teams with the best records. This will make playoff positioning all the more exciting. \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 6:
Moves:
Benched Tate (Bye) for Evans
Benched Lindsay for D Cook
Benched J Cook for Ebron
Benched Succop for Parkey
Benched Ravens D/ST for Bears D/ST
Dropped Ravens D/ST
Added Sterling Shepard (NYG) WR
Trade with Monty: Jared Cook for roster space
Added Chris Carson (SEA) RB
Benched D Cook for Carson
Moved D Cook to IR
Added Chris Goodwin (TB) WR

Box Score:

bookworm:
Aaron Rodgers - 28
James Conner - 24
Carlos Hyde - 3
Chris Carson - 5
Mike Evans - 5
John Brown - 2
Eric Ebron - 13
Bears D/ST - -1
Cody Parkey - 3
Total: 82

Monty:
Tom Brady - 21
TJ Yeldon - 6
Sony Michel - 22
Austin Ekeler - 6
Tyler Boyd - 18
DeSean Jackson - 7
Jared Cook - 1
Jaguars D/ST - -1
Mason Crosby - 17
Total: 97
The first real disaster of this season.
Week 5 - at Texas Staleys (KF) 107-95
Week 6 - vs Sonic the Hedgehogs (Monty) 97-82
This week was a real letdown. Great showings from a couple positions, but completely disastrous shortcomings from the rest. Most prominently highlighted the utter implosion of my Defense - which there was no way to anticipate, that came out of absolutely nowhere! They were described as a confident lock going into the week, facing a stuggling Dolphins team that had given D/STs 12 and 24 the previous two weeks. Couple that with a Bears D/ST that had yet to score less than double digits in a single week and you bet your life I'm playing that matchup! Then news broke right before the game Sunday that MIA was actually changing to their backup QB for this game. I wondered if that changed the projection for how they would do, but this news only increased the insistance by the 'experts' that the Bears D was an absolute must play. So I kept them in and they absolutely shocked the world. In the wrong way. Bears D/ST scores so far this season: 13, 19, 15, 13; their score this week: -1 - what?!? How could anyone see that coming?? Even if they were set to regress to average numbers that kind of disaster isn't even in your mind as a possibility!

But to Monty's credit, he had equally as disastrous showings from a couple positions (in the case of D/ST literally equal, we both scored -1 how bizare is that?) but overcame them with enough good scores elsewhere to get the win. His first of the season! Congratulations Monty!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I love the analysis, bookworm, and I also want to congratulate you on your first victory, Monty!

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Bahahaha, This is why the only Bears I ever really felt confident drafting were Matt Forte and Robbie Gould.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

this post reserved for a recap coming at some point hopefully sooner than later
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Dez Bryant hype Wednesday-Friday.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I had thought about picking him up but you beat me to it. That's okay. :p
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

There are some crucial matchups coming in week 12 that will likely confirm or shake up the playoff race. \:D/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

* rest of the backlog coming here at some point. I have the actual recaps written, just need to get around to adding in the player score breakdowns...
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Don't forget there are three Thursday games for Thanksgiving. Get your lineups set \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

At this point I think I'm just fighting to not finish in last place.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Same here.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Right, it's you and me playing our own game against each other. :p